WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by scope View Post
    This would explain some things, for sure.

Good point, and one of the reasons we should all be a little more reserved in our criticism (which most have). Just a little more reserved, the criticism is due.

And isn't it true that they may have correctly thought that's what would happen to them if they continued or tried to go back? With the snow, they may have thought they could not stay on the trail going forward or backward. I agree, in those conditions, movement was key, and they probably should have attempted doing that going downhill. But obviously there's lots of stuff they had no clue on, and they very well might have thought that staying put on the trail was the best thing to do. Lack of experience got them into that situation, lack of experience made them stay there and call for help. I'm going to give them credit for that, whether they deserve it or not.

I still have an issue knowing that a permit was granted to these "hikers".
    lets put their location in perspective. They were on a VERY established trail that is well marked. They also just came up the hill so they had to know that the "way back" was downhill, there is miles of uphill to reach the point that they were at. Further, to get to the trail they had to cross Fontana Dam. There is a big lake that can be seen from much of the trail. That limited just how lost they could become if heading back. Additionally, if there was snow then they made prints, at least initially, that they could follow. If there was really foot deep drift, not embellished foot deep drifts then those places would also have evidence of three people trudging up the trail. Bottom line, this was about as easy of navigation as you could possibly get even with the snow.

Quote Originally Posted by scope View Post
    ...I still have an issue knowing that a permit was granted to these "hikers".

We don't actually know that. A ranger was quoted by various media outlets stating that "their destination was unclear". This suggests that they did not have a permit.

Images

permits can be obtained on line.no interview process.no special requirements

https://smokiespermits.nps.gov/index...PermitTypeID=1

Images

This thread is not specifically about the three boys who messed up last week--it's about what to teach Boy Scouts about figuring out what to do when they find themselves in trouble. I feel very strongly that it is a mistake to head out thinking that if things go a bit wrong you can easily be bailed out. The three guys in question, for instance, seemed to think that getting rescued is like flagging a taxi at the airport. It isn't. Because they had the waiting-for-help mentality, they ended up spending a cold night without shelter. If they had had the mindset that, short of truly crippling injury (and I'm not just talking cold feet and a limp), they needed to get themselves out, they would have turned around and headed back the way they came…and probably would have been having a hot meal in Franklin before midnight.

My message--calling for help should be your last resort, not your first. Young outdoors enthusiasts shouldn't think that calling for helicopter evacuation is the same as calling your mom to pick you up because you've missed the school bus.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Grayfox... I appreciate your ideas and plan on using them! Thank you

I thank all who have contributed to this thread.

Then, may I suggest to the OP, DugK, you close the thread.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++