WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Again, not dishing Lukes Ultralight just that particular jacket might not adequately serve you as a true WP hard shell on an AT thru early on. Might not be all that big a deal in the summer when it rains in warm weather but for mid March to about early May when AT TIMES it might be COLD/cooler and wet/sleety/slushy and it wets out that could be a game changer. Don't forget there's often a hood on rain jackets. So, you have a Tilleys, beanie/baclava , AND that hood to play with for different conditions.

That's glove/mitt shells. Sounds like you have the wool liners already.

I'm thinking, the same thing about the kilt rainpants switch just like you said when you said. But, again you have to find what's right FOR YOU not me tell you what's right for you. This is all just different ways to see things. Again, this is about you calling your own shots on a thru-hike. No one's here to tell you what you must do or what's right for your thru-hike. Notice the mental shift adjustment from maybe what you are used to? It's important that not only YOU recognize but YOU also make the adjustments. To thru-hike you have to be good at self management!

Here's what you have for the waist to ankles for combinations for the start: smartwool long johns, TNF convertibles(pants/shorts combo), running shorts, smartwool boxer briefs and kilt or rainpants WITHOUT THE SECOND SW boxer briefs. Under any scenario I can imagine I can never imagine you wearing all I just listed on your bottom half at once. Which leaves at least one piece of apparel that you'll work on keeping dry and relatively clean for wearing in camp. Seems like you have the separate camp clothing covered WITHOUT the second SW boxer briefs. You'll have regular opps to go into town to keep what you have laundered. Also, snap some stainless steel or brass safety pins to the outside of your pack that you can hang clothing on to dry so you always have a decently clean and dry second set of clothes. You can do the same with socks.

Remember though. This is not the military way of doing things. You have the choice to constantly evolve and make alterations to your kit. As conditions change YOU are now personally responsible for changing up your kit if or when you see fit. What you start out with as a kit will change as your hike and you evolve. Thru-hiking like much in life is an evolutionary process. Here though, you can consciously shape how you evolve to a great extent! HYOH.

Don't sweat every detail of your hike though. You don't need to know everything(even if that was possible). You'll learn much as you proceed on your thru-hike IF you observe, learn, have a good time, and adapt as you go. The hiking community can be very helpful.
    Not sure how you believe that I took anything out of context. I have included the entire quote so that you can re-read it. Just an argumentative ploy to claim misquoted or taken out of context. I stand by my earlier response. You obviously haven't been in the military so don't pretend to understand what the military way of doing things is.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    This happens often. Just mentioning to those coming from military backgrounds that it could be beneficial to recognize the differences between being in the military doing things the "military way" compared to doing things as a civilian doing a thru-hike and people start getting offended, become defensive, or miss the context/content of the message.

I did not say, "The military (DOES NOT) teach flexibility and adaptation to constant changing situations." Read what I said in context with what I said.

Yes, I have experience working with the military but that is not a prerequisite to offering potentially useful information to thru-hikers coming from military backgrounds.

Let me ask you a question. WHY, do you think I'm saying any of this?

Assuming you are correct, it's because I don't think this should be: "I'm sure you know prior military that have been unsuccessful in attempting a thru-hike, but, I would suspect that if you looked at actual data (if it exists) you would find their success rate consistent with the general population." Thru-hikers with military backgrounds should be completing their thru-hikes at a higher completion rate than the general thru-hiker population! Don't you think so? I aim to offer some things for thru-hikers coming from military backgrounds that might raise their completion rates.

Stop, regarding my comments as if I'm badmouthing or degrading the military. It seems like it's so frackin difficult for some military personnel to grasp someone not in their direct line of command could possibly offer something beneficial.

I don't know why you believe that military and military veterans are incapable of making decisions outside of an authority figure. I posted this list so I could get other people's opinions who have formerly hiked the AT. I didn't say "make all the decisions for me", I asked for input, and I took what was said just as that. Honestly, the military thing was offensive. I don't see how,
    It seems like it's so frackin difficult for some military personnel to grasp someone not in their direct line of command could possibly offer something beneficial.
    could be taken any way but badmouthing and degrading. I see my military experience as a positive, not a handicap and something I have to work to get over.

And if it "happens often" that a group of people get offended when you say something in a negative way, maybe you're the one to blame.

Thanks for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    You need more insulation for march than just an Ex light, unless you are amenable to wrapping up in your sleeping bag.
    Keep the fleece as well.

Id bring a 100 wt fleece hoody, and a jacket with ~4 oz down.
    I'll keep that in mind. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Choo Choo View Post
    I heat up quite a bit when I hike, but if it were me, for a late Feb. start, I might add a Marmot Dry Clime vest or pullover. Good to hike in and would also be an option for sleeping. To me the Dry Clime is more versatile than a fleece Would definitely want a warm sleeping bag, probably a 10 deg.
    Awesome, thank you.

Images

I really didn't find anything Dogwood said to be offensive what so ever.

My brother was in the army. He spent 18 months in Iraq and when he got home we did a # of backpacking trips together. He borrowed my gear and would constantly talk about how the inefficient the military was. His said this referring to the weight of his equipment vs the weight of backpacking equipment. He made the point that the army had thousands of soldiers to supply and simply couldn't invest the $ in the lighter gear.

In any event, I have nothing but respect for the men and women who serve this country. This thread isn't a debate about the military way, but I would suggest taking Dogwood's advice very seriously. I don't know him but have read his resume on other threads and I would be willing to wager he has more experience and miles walked than three of us combined. Whiteblaze is unique because it gives people like us an opportunity to learn from someone like Dogwood who has logged thousands of miles on America's great trails.

Lonehiker, here's why I know you took what I said out of context. You ONLY reposted one of my posts! You didn't go back to the very first post in which I first mentioned military personnel thru-hiking and repost that. It is the basis for all proceeding comments I made. Here's what I initially said: ***I respectfully ask that you consider that while coming from a military background has major crossover benefits on a thru-hike doing what you did in the military IS NOT exactly the same as doing a 2200 mile thru-hike as a civilian. Recognize and understand the differences so you can make the adjustments going from the military doing things the military way to doing things more independently as an individual in civilian life. I only say that because I think our military deserves my support - that includes when they choose to thru-hike. I've witnessed some 2 dozen military who desired to complete a thru-hike abort their thru-hike attempts because they failed to fully recognize those differences and make the adjustments.

Have a great hike." I stand by my initial intention and observations.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++