WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Waterproof Shell?

Hello everyone. Any suggestions on brands of outerwear/ a waterproof shell layer? Is a Gore-tex jacket really worth the expense? Is there something else that's comparable quality but cheaper? Thanks.

Images

What is more important to you:

Weight
    Breath-ability
    Water Resistance
    Pockets
    Durability
    Price range

Without stating all that, you are going to recommendations for everything from $20 Driducks to a $500 E-vent shell. Some will even jump in and say you don't need a shell and tell you to buy a poncho.

My input is that whatever you buy, make sure it has pit zips. I use a Marmot Super Mica. Good middle of the range for everything with pit zips.

Images

Default Waterproof Shell? - Dri Ducks Rain Suit

I use a Dri Ducks Rain Suit for my shell layer. Cost about $20, packs small & are very llight. Around camp in the evening I wear just the jacket or the jacket and a puffy layer.
    Appalachian Trail Online Course
    http://at-trail.blogspot.com
    Information and resources for the A.T. hiker

Follow @section_hiking on Twitter
    http://Twitter.com/Section_Hiking

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

It depends on how long you plan to wear it. Dri Ducks are ultralight, decent rain protection but cheap and not long lasting. Precip is what I have used for long distance hiking myself.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

I hiked with a North Face jacket that I got for a fairly low price on STP. It was Goretex. It was/is a great jacket - still use it 3 years after my hike. however, when you have a backpack on and you are climbing/hiking, you will sweat and therefore get wet anyway. - unless it is truly cold (below 40 with rain/sleet/snow).Pit zips are an extremely nice feature as others have said.

Precip is the way to go.

I've got a Red Ledge Thunderlight jacket that has worked well for my day hikes in Spring/Fall/Winter rain, very little wear and tear as of yet. It was a birthday gift so I really didn't know what to expect from it (never heard of the company/product before). A friend brought to my attention that a lot of their local fishermen use it and the company website touts it as being used by the crews on Deadliest Catch.

EMS Thundercloud ... got one someone returned and paid $15. It's just like the Precip. Normal price $99

Coosa

I used a $100-150 gore-tex rainjacket (Mine is patagonia-brother's is moosejaw) with pit zips for me-I think this is a worthwhile feature. Then just get a pack fly (cheaper work-around is lining pack with trash bag) and you. Gore-tex is worth it imo in the downpours when you actually need the jacket. A light rain? Shoot feels nice-but a downpour (tropical storm style) and you want to stay as dry as possible.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

This might help:
    http://www.pmags.com/rain-gear-what-to-wear

IF you want an all-purpose shell, the Marmot Precip type or similar works well.

Currenly the GoLite Tumalo is on sale:
    http://www.golite.com/Ms-Tumalo-Trin...12-P46755.aspx

I have a previous version of it and I've been happy FWIW.
    Last edited by Mags; 02-25-2013 at 02:43.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

On the cheap - DriDucks or Frogg Toggs

Some Do Re Mi - Go Lite Malpais and Tumalo rainpants

Little more Do Re Mi(saves 1-2 ozs wt) Marmot Mica WP jacket

Marmot Precip is in the same price range, perhaps a bit more than the GoLite Malpais(got mine at a GoLite outlet for $68), but the GoLite breathes better, is just as WP, weighs about 1-3 ozs less, and about as durable. If I was choosing I would opt for the Malpais if comparing the two. The Malpais doesn't skimp on features either.

I just received my DriDucks in the mail. They run huge! The large is way too big for me ... Planning to exchange for a medium.

I bought it mainly for the pants ... I'm less sure about relying on the jacket but I'm not thrilled about the idea of buying an expensive goretex rain shell.

Can't beat Gortex in the winter. The rest of the year, doesn't seem to matter what you use.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Can't beat Gortex in the winter. The rest of the year, doesn't seem to matter what you use.
    Agreed. Any other time of year I will wet out Goretex from the inside out.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Another take on shells for the winter.

The folks over at Winter Trekking seem to like unlined shells.

Different take to say the least.

Because of their experience, I am trying out an unlined nylon wind breaker this season. So far I am liking it for backcountry skiing. Also went back to fleece for winter use the past two years for similar reasons. (breathes well).

Note the folks at Winter Trekking advocate an unlined and non-waterproof shell for cold, dry conditions with "fluffy" snow. Cold and wet conditions with sleet or freezing rain is another ball of wax. (And harder to deal with IMO).

re: DriDucks I actually like the jacket better than the pants. Think the pants would be more prone to snagging on the trail and such. JMO.
    Last edited by Mags; 02-25-2013 at 23:42.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

I've seen DirDucks which were more duct tape than fabric by the time they got to Maine.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I purchased an LL Bean Pathfinder Waterproof Shell for a little less than $120.00 from the LL Bean website in October of 2013. It is waterproof for sure but I do sweat a bit in it with warmer weather. I have tested it out in temperatures as low as 28 degrees with an Under Armor Heatgear Shirt and a light all wool sweater and had no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by slow ride 302 View Post
    I purchased an LL Bean Pathfinder Waterproof Shell for a little less than $120.00 from the LL Bean website in October of 2013. It is waterproof for sure but I do sweat a bit in it with warmer weather. I have tested it out in temperatures as low as 28 degrees with an Under Armor Heatgear Shirt and a light all wool sweater and had no problems.
    slow ride.....the OP sought input on a waterproof shell just under a year ago. I'm thinking he/she may have already picked one up by now. but if not, and they are still researching options, no doubt LL Bean makes some quality stuff.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I've seen DirDucks which were more duct tape than fabric by the time they got to Maine.
    Yep, mine were good for about 700 miles of my AT this last spring, then I replaced the jacket. At $20 though, still seems like a great deal for a 5.5 ounce jacket that works (pants are another 5 ounces). I do recommend the Dri Ducks ultralight rain suit (I think they are now called Frog Toggs), though as has already been said, GoreTex is really the shizzle, at least the newest GoreTex.

++ New Posts ++