WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Fuel Canisters

Default Fuel Canisters

Are fuel canisters readily available along the AT tows, snow peak?

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Canisters are readily available up and down the AT. A SnoPeak canister stove can use any Lindal valve isobutane type canister (SnoPeak, Jet Boil, MSR and so on) as that is now the standard.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Excellent, thank you!

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

They can also be mailed. See #7 on this blog.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Journal Entries

No problem for my 2013 thru, but due to the efficiency I didn't need to get many and also found some in hiker boxes, add in a cell phone and the ability to call ahead and it is pretty much 100% certain that you won't run out unless you want to.

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

Agree with all of the above. It is easy to find it. Hostels, many gas stations, Wal Mart/Target, Outfitters, hiker boxes, some shelters (), virtually everywhere.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

Default Fuel Canisters

How about access to Fuel Canisters on the PCT/CDT?

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ryanwflynn View Post
    A little harder vs the AT, but still very doable.

Yogi's guidebooks (and other resources) list the specific places for each trail. Heck, in the summer Wally World will often stock Coleman isobutane canisters (not the 1lb green propane ones!) as well.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by ryanwflynn View Post
    In addition to what's already been shared, Dicks Sporting Goods, Sports Authorities, and Academy Sports Stores usually have iso butane Lindal valve canisters. Don't forget to check hardware stores(not the big box hardware/home improvement stores like HD and lowes) and hunting/fishing shops as well. Don't forget sometimes when in a jam and out of i-butane fuel you have options as well: going stoveless for a dinner/b-fast or two(who knows this might appeal to some backpackers all the time anyway), using a campfire, small can of Sterno, carrying a cold meal to the trail for a night until the next town resupply pt, partial cans in hikers boxes(especially on the AT and to some but lesser overall extent on the PCT, and much lesser extent on the CDT), etc.

Found t
    This on an older post about fuel canisters....thought maybe it would help.
    I did some measurements with my Snow Peak stove and canisters a while back to provide information for planning fuel consumption and to determine the potential life of partially used canisters.

I collected and weighed a number of empty Snow Peak canisters using my laboratory beam balance (+/- 0.01g). The weights for the 110g (small) canisters were 3.05g, 3.15g and 3.19g. The weights of the 220g canisters were 5.15g and 5.22g. The small canisters were all purchased at the same time and are probably all from the same lot. The larger canisters were purchased about a year apart and could easily have been from different lots. I didn't check batch numbers on the canisters when I weighed them and discarded them soon after weighing so don't have any information on variation among lots.

I also measured fuel consumption of my Snow Peak Giga Power titanium stove in order to estimate how long a fuel canister would last under field conditions. The study was done in my shop at an air temperature of about 80 degrees F, an altitude of 3200 ft and with no wind.

I brought 16 oz. (2 cups) of 40 degree F (temperature was measured) water to a full rolling boil in a Snow Peak Mini-Solo pot with lid using a 110 g canister. I measured the canister weight before and after each trial. I ran five trials with 40 degree water and three with 80 degree water. There was no wind in the shop so I did not use a wind shield. All trials with 40 degree water used 8.3 grams of fuel as measured on a laboratory beam balance reading directly to the nearest 0.1 gram. For 40 degree water this rounds closely to 0.3 oz of fuel per heating. The trials using 80 degree F water required 6.7 grams of fuel; again, there was no significant variation at the 0.1g level.

1. Grams of fuel required to boil 40 degree F water: 8.3;
    number of 16 oz “boils” with 40 degree water with 110 gm canister: 13.

2. Grams of fuel required to boil 80 degree F water: 6.7;
    number of 16 oz “boils” with 80 degree water with 110 gm canister: 16.

These trials were done under windless conditions and used a single, new, canister. One can expect a significant increase in fuel use under windy conditions, especially without a wind screen. I use a wind screen and my casual field observations would put fuel consumption under windy conditions somewhere around half-again that without wind. Consumption trials were done at 80 degree F air temperature; lower temperatures should also increase fuel use. Also, bear in mind that all trials in this study were done using the same canister; there may be significant canister to canister variation in fuel consumption.

Edited by Rincon on 10/09/2008 10:03:26 MDT.

++ New Posts ++