WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    I heard they make a pair in camo
    Only way I wear them.

New they start out a little stiff, but soften up quick. Best to wear them around the house a little before hand.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    I've never worn crocs, but I hear good things. Totally not my style either, but I could give a damn in the woods. I heard they make a pair in camo

As a bit of advice, don't buy name brand Crocs. Instead, go the the Dollar Store or to WalMart and get no-name knock-off crocs. They cost a great deal less, and they are much lighter because they are lower quality. For camp shoes, you really aren't likely to put many miles on them, so the cheaper, lighter variety is preferable to the heavier, better quality brand name crocs.

You do not want to leave the rain pants at home and assume all will be fine hiking in the rain in your shorts.

In the fifties, steady rain, with some wind -- try that for a few hours and you're a hypothermia patient. Although those conditions are not "the usual" for that time of year, it definitely does happen. My son and I had two straight days of that across the App Gap > Camels Hump stretch the summer before last, and we needed every bit of kit we had.

All in all, I think your list looks pretty good. I think you want to make a call about one hiking shirt or the other, and if you have convertible pants then there's no need for a second pair of camp shorts, but aside from that I don't see anything too crazy on there. I'm serious about the rain pants, though. It's not just about keeping the wet out -- the wind protection & insulating value they'll add to your capilene bottoms in gnarly weather are important too. It's Vermont. You might luck out, but on average, in any given 2-4 week stretch of any given summer, there is some wretched, wet, chilly weather.

Quote Originally Posted by mirabela View Post
    You do not want to leave the rain pants at home and assume all will be fine hiking in the rain in your shorts.

In the fifties, steady rain, with some wind -- try that for a few hours and you're a hypothermia patient. Although those conditions are not "the usual" for that time of year, it definitely does happen. My son and I had two straight days of that across the App Gap > Camels Hump stretch the summer before last, and we needed every bit of kit we had.

All in all, I think your list looks pretty good. I think you want to make a call about one hiking shirt or the other, and if you have convertible pants then there's no need for a second pair of camp shorts, but aside from that I don't see anything too crazy on there. I'm serious about the rain pants, though. It's not just about keeping the wet out -- the wind protection & insulating value they'll add to your capilene bottoms in gnarly weather are important too. It's Vermont. You might luck out, but on average, in any given 2-4 week stretch of any given summer, there is some wretched, wet, chilly weather.
    Hmm, your experienced, I'll take your advice. Since I'm on a limited gear budget, I may pick up a set (jacket/pants) of Frogg Toggs for this thru-hike. Cheap, works well, and from what I've read should survive a LT hike. Don't mind tossing them afterwards if there all torn up. Any input on Frogg Toggs?

I also just picked up two pairs of ExOfficio Give-N-Go boxer briefs on sale for $12 a piece. Have never tried them before but have heard really good things about using them for backpacking so I couldn't resist. If I like them they'll be dedicated to my backpacking setup. On the Exofficio website it says they only weigh 2.5oz too so if that's true I will actually shave 2.5 oz's off my packweight lol. Is it bad that I got excited about that lol?

I'll use them in rotation, one for hiking, one for sleeping. If I feel I can leave one at home come the time of starting this thru, I will.

I don't know Frog Toggs, but I'm sure they'll do fine. Here's what I use for cheap-ass light rain pants. With the right coupon you can get them down to $20 or so. I think they weigh about 5 ounces.

Quote Originally Posted by mirabela View Post
    I don't know Frog Toggs, but I'm sure they'll do fine. Here's what I use for cheap-ass light rain pants. With the right coupon you can get them down to $20 or so. I think they weigh about 5 ounces.
    I'm gonna pick up a pair of cheap rain paints when I can and use them this spring. Whatever works I'll take them with me on the LT. Here's my comprehensive list of clothing I'll be taking. Fortunately, I've been finding really good deals on clothing so I made some major upgrades from my previous backpacking clothing system. Deff starting to have a nice thru-hike ensemble. Thanks for all your help, I think I'm gonna be well off. Here it goes..

2 Pairs of Exofficio Boxer Briefs
    2 Pairs Darntough Hiking Socks
    1 Pair Cabelas Wool Camp Socks
    Techwick Lightweight Long Underwear Baselayer - Top and Bottoms
    Smartwool Beanie
    Army Surplus Wool Glove Liners
    Nylon Trekking Pants
    Nike Dri-fit running shorts
    Techwick 1/4 Zip Long Sleeve Hiking Shirt
    Rain Paints
    Marmot Mica Rain Jacket - This thing is my new favorite. Picked her up on a clearance rack for $75. Gave the precip I bought to my father. He'll get alot of use from it.
    Bandana
    Buff
    Sun Hat - Kinda want a Tilley, my irish skin burns in literally seconds.

The only thing I want to add is a nice insulating layer. I'm gonna be doing some thrift store shopping for a down jacket or vest. I remember seeing a Patagonia down jacket at a salvation army a few months ago for $9. My size too, if I only I knew then what I know now.. My clothing system has also lightened up ALOT.

Once again, Thanks for all your help.

Thumbs up, looks pretty sharp. Inasmuch as the damp it going to be a compounding factor with any cold weather you encounter that time of year I'd suggest a synthetic puffy over a down one. Opinions vary ... but if you can score a cheap nanopuff pullover or its equivalent by another maker, you should be all set.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++