WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default August 2014 E2E - Clothing!

I wanted to start a new thread because the other one has become clustered addressing too many different topics. I have settled on my shelter for my thru-hike, and now I would like some constructive criticism on clothing for a LT Southbound e2e in August.

I feel as if the list I have put together is a little too much. I feel like I'm preparing for more cold than I am actually going to encounter. I guess it's better to start a little conservative in this department. Being warm is nice. I currently do not own all the things listed, so anything that appears "general" is something I still need to get. For example, I still need to get an upper and lower base layer. Here we go.. Feel free to input on what I don't need, if i'm bringing too many, etc.

underwear - 1 or 2? pairs of synthetic athletic spandex. I already have a pair of Nike combat, should I bring another?

socks - I can bring up to 3 pairs of Vermont Darn Tough hiking socks. I'm leaning towards three as from what I've read

bottom base layer - Will prob purchase EMS Lightweight Tech Wick bottom base layer, really cant afford merino wool baselayers

top base layer - Will prob purchase EMS Lightweight Tech Wick Long Sleeve base layer, " "

hiking pants - EMS nylon, non convertible (dont like the zipper at the knee) hiking pants - weighs roughly 10.5 oz

nylon belt

running shorts - nike running shorts (the really thin light ones)

hiking shirt - Have a nice Under Armour heat gear shirt

midlayer - EMS 1/4 zip pull over (76% merino wool, 24% polyester) weighs roughly 14 oz

jacket/shell - Marmot Precip Jacket

beanie - Carhartt fleece hat

gloves - should i bring them? if so, I was just gonna pick up some army surplus wool glove liners for $5

I always wear my real deal brazil hat while hiking.. i'm fair skinned, its great at keeping sun of my face and neck

Bandana - for all intensive purposes

Merril hiking boots - gonna retire these suckers after this year is through

what do you guys think? I see a lot of people have a synthetic, down, or blend vest they like to throw into the mix. Necessary?

The month will start out hot and humid, but there will likely be some chilly evenings and mornings towards the end of the month, but not too cold. 40's at worst. I'd say what you have is fine. The only thing you might not need is the bottom base layer. 2 pair undies are enough. Probably aren't going to need the gloves either, but what the heck bring them anyway. The one time you do need them you'll be glad you have them.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Somewhere in the wilds of Western Massachusetts
    Journal Entries

+1 on what Slo says.......I always have a light wt wool vest with me. Nice to wear in camp over the dry base layer/sleeping clothes on the chilly nights at elevation. Plus, it's another insulation option (cold feet, usually) for me in the hammock. I wear Darn Tough, too. Great socks! But, I also have a pair of loose fitting, fleece boot socks for sleeping. Less constricting=more blood flow=more warmth.
    Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
    Chief Seattle

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I started on August 2nd. No long pants and a 35* bag. I can't recall ever getting cold.

My gear list for that hike is around here somewhere but I packed pretty light.

Images

Well, let's see, we did our 2nd section from Rt.4 to the border starting very late July and ended Aug. 17. I had for clothes:

2pr. lightweight running shorts (from Wal-mart, the cheaper the better, with the built-in panty cut out)
    2 short sleeve wicking tops
    3pr. underwear
    3pr. socks
    fleece jacket
    1 set of wool baselayers, mid-weight top, light weight bottoms
    full set Marmot Precip rain gear
    1 hat
    1 pr. lightweight gloves
    1pr. Dirty Girl gaiters

I ended up wearing lightweight running shorts and a short sleeve shirt the whole time for the second section; the second set was a back-up or "town clothes". The first section was early June, and it was rainy and cool, so I wore the baselayer tights sometimes under the shorts, and the wool top in camp; in August I might have worn the top once? Can't remember. Overall, I wore my fleece jacket in the evenings/mornings if it was cool. The rain gear I wore more on the first section, and wore the jacket only a few times in August, never wore the pants. My son had the same set up, but had a wicking long sleeve top, which he never wore and did not carry tights on the second section (we're almost the same size for the moment, so we could share/swap items if necessary), nor did he have rain pants. I did give him one of my packable down jackets to substitute for his fleece, as it was half the weight for the second section and he wore it in the evenings/mornings when it was cool. We rarely wore the hats or gloves, but we were happy to have them for those few times when it was a bit cool. Because we wore trailrunners, the gaiters were highly useful in keep excess dirt/stuff out of our shoes. I tried hiking without them one day, and ended up with too much dirt in my shoes. Depends on your shoes, of course, but keeping our feet happy was a priority.

Looking at your list, I'd ditch the nylon EMS pants. Like your idea for the gloves, I had some wool gloves and loved them until I couldn't repair them anymore. Other than that, looks good, you can always mail stuff home along the way, too if you find you're not needing it.
    LT 2013, AT NOBO 2015, MSGT 2016, PCT 2017/2018

Images

Forgot few things. Can't edit here. We each had a bandana for multiple uses, plus pack towels, which also came in handy. We each had rain hats, but I rarely wore mine; my son used it for a regular hat when it was sunny, too. Also, I had one sports bra. Doesn't sound like you'll need one.

Quote Originally Posted by MamaBear View Post
    Well, let's see, we did our 2nd section from Rt.4 to the border starting very late July and ended Aug. 17. I had for clothes:

2pr. lightweight running shorts (from Wal-mart, the cheaper the better, with the built-in panty cut out)
    2 short sleeve wicking tops
    3pr. underwear
    3pr. socks
    fleece jacket
    1 set of wool baselayers, mid-weight top, light weight bottoms
    full set Marmot Precip rain gear
    1 hat
    1 pr. lightweight gloves
    1pr. Dirty Girl gaiters

I ended up wearing lightweight running shorts and a short sleeve shirt the whole time for the second section; the second set was a back-up or "town clothes". The first section was early June, and it was rainy and cool, so I wore the baselayer tights sometimes under the shorts, and the wool top in camp; in August I might have worn the top once? Can't remember. Overall, I wore my fleece jacket in the evenings/mornings if it was cool. The rain gear I wore more on the first section, and wore the jacket only a few times in August, never wore the pants. My son had the same set up, but had a wicking long sleeve top, which he never wore and did not carry tights on the second section (we're almost the same size for the moment, so we could share/swap items if necessary), nor did he have rain pants. I did give him one of my packable down jackets to substitute for his fleece, as it was half the weight for the second section and he wore it in the evenings/mornings when it was cool. We rarely wore the hats or gloves, but we were happy to have them for those few times when it was a bit cool. Because we wore trailrunners, the gaiters were highly useful in keep excess dirt/stuff out of our shoes. I tried hiking without them one day, and ended up with too much dirt in my shoes. Depends on your shoes, of course, but keeping our feet happy was a priority.

Looking at your list, I'd ditch the nylon EMS pants. Like your idea for the gloves, I had some wool gloves and loved them until I couldn't repair them anymore. Other than that, looks good, you can always mail stuff home along the way, too if you find you're not needing it.
    I prefer to hike in long pants. I've battled it out between pants and shorts for some time. I'm fair skinned, so it helps with the sun. Also, it does helps with the bugs/ticks. So I'm pretty set on bringing them. Also, I'm going to pick up some surplus wool glove liners for this trip. Lightweight, cheap, effective. Sounds like one of those items, but to have and not need than not have and need. Gloves have helped me sleep better in the woods before, so yeah... they're coming.

Quote Originally Posted by MamaBear View Post
    Forgot few things. Can't edit here. We each had a bandana for multiple uses, plus pack towels, which also came in handy. We each had rain hats, but I rarely wore mine; my son used it for a regular hat when it was sunny, too. Also, I had one sports bra. Doesn't sound like you'll need one.
    I'll be bringing 2 bandanas, I keep one tied to my pack and one wrapped around my hiking hat. I also have a packtowel that I've cut down to less than an ounce. Been hiking/camping with it for quite some time. I love it and would be hard pressed to leave it at home to save an ounce as some people do. Some argue, hey just use your bandana. It just works so much better and I use it for a variety of camp chores. In the dewy mornings, before I pack my rain fly. I quick wipe with the towel and its all dry. Just one example

Quote Originally Posted by Tri-Pod Bob View Post
    +1 on what Slo says.......I always have a light wt wool vest with me. Nice to wear in camp over the dry base layer/sleeping clothes on the chilly nights at elevation. Plus, it's another insulation option (cold feet, usually) for me in the hammock. I wear Darn Tough, too. Great socks! But, I also have a pair of loose fitting, fleece boot socks for sleeping. Less constricting=more blood flow=more warmth.
    I also have some looser fitting, wool, cabelas socks that are "boot socks".. meaning go up to my calf. Used them as my main hiking socks for quite some time. Maybe I'll swap out a pair of darn tough for those as my camp/sleeping socks. Then the other two darn tough's will be in rotation for hiking.

Sounds like you got it dialed in really well, I belive you will have a good trip.

Here's my E2E LT video from last year to inspire you:
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I left Aug 19 on my SOBO last year. The weather started out cool, then hot and humid, then wet and cool, and finished on Sept 5 with below freezing in the morning. Your list looks good to me. I carried one pair of Under Armor underwear and one pair of darn tuff socks. Your socks will get muddy so carrying more may be to your advantage. I didn't need gloves but I did use my buff on cool and cold nights around camp. I had a light weight long sleeve merino wool shirt that I never wore. I did wear my Patagonia UL down jacket several nights. I wore convertible pants and my only backup was a pair of Marmot Precip rain pants that I never wore. Only time I used them was when I did laundry. Long pants may be desirable in many places because there are a lot of stinging nettles along the trail.
    More walking, less talking.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    I prefer to hike in long pants. I've battled it out between pants and shorts for some time. I'm fair skinned, so it helps with the sun. Also, it does helps with the bugs/ticks. So I'm pretty set on bringing them. Also, I'm going to pick up some surplus wool glove liners for this trip. Lightweight, cheap, effective. Sounds like one of those items, but to have and not need than not have and need. Gloves have helped me sleep better in the woods before, so yeah... they're coming.

I'll be bringing 2 bandanas, I keep one tied to my pack and one wrapped around my hiking hat. I also have a packtowel that I've cut down to less than an ounce. Been hiking/camping with it for quite some time. I love it and would be hard pressed to leave it at home to save an ounce as some people do. Some argue, hey just use your bandana. It just works so much better and I use it for a variety of camp chores. In the dewy mornings, before I pack my rain fly. I quick wipe with the towel and its all dry. Just one example
    I understand and totally makes sense about the pants. I was a die-hard pants hiker until last summer. Between the bugs and stuff sticking out into the trail (and if it does, guaranteed, I *will* walk into it!), rocks, etc. here in lovely NH, I wore pants all the time, even on the most hot and humid summer days. I had the shorts to save weight and so that they'd dry a bit quicker. In your case, you know your skin tone, and comfort level with exposure to all sorts of stuff.

I loved my wool gloves until they died last winter. I just couldn't fix them any more, and they had a lot of repairs. You're so right, light, cheap and effective.

Love pack towels, too. We only had one to start the trail, so we bought another one for my son in Manchester Center at the Mountain Goat. We use ours for all sorts of stuff like you, including wiping down the tent fly, wringing out socks, etc. Yes, way more effective than the bandana, even when wet, just wring and keep using! Absolutely worth the weight.

I did a LT E2E northbound last year, from 9/5 to 9/25. Vermont weather gets cooler pretty quickly as the month of September progresses. Last September we had some really amazingly perfect sunny fall days, then some absolutely crappy wet/cold weather. (New England fall weather) And the mud last year on the Long Trail seemed much worse to me than 2010 and 2012, last year rainfall records were set all up and down the east coast. Most all the advice already posted here is great advice. If you hike the LT in August, it will be much warmer and humid. You can get by with a simple midweight fleece jacket for extra insulation. A 35 or 40 degree bag should be plenty. I'd take 3 or 4 pairs of hiking socks, the mud along the LT is a thing hikers have to accept and love and deal with.... my brand of choice is Icebreaker Hike-Lite merino wool socks, used them on all my hikes the last 2 years, and love them, even more than Darn Tough or Smartwool. But all 3 brands are great socks. Also, in August, don't see the need for bringing one pair of L/W running shorts and separate pair of hiking shorts. Pick one or the other, all you will need. Good luck, have a great hike.

Your list looks pretty good to me. Let's see -- nice to have spare underwear, and they're light, so bring 2. I'd go with just 2 pair of hiking socks, and liners if you're so inclined. Totally hear you about the pants -- makes good sense. Nice to have the shorts too, though, for swimming, laundry day in town, especially hot days, whatever. Definitely bring the glove liners, you could get some very cool nights in late August.

Three major adjustments I'd consider: First, the Marmot precip -- if you've already got it, then you know the score -- it's not the world's greatest shell. It wets out pretty quick, all in all. Treat it to renew the DWR just before you go, and even so plan to get wet. Or, perhaps select a different jacket. Second, I don't see rain pants on here. I'd recommend a light pair. White Sierra sells a super light, super small basic pair that you can get on STP with a coupon for not more than $20, and they're pretty good. Well worth the weight, which isn't more than 4 or 5 oz. You might get warm weather with only intermittent showers in which case you'll wonder why you brought them, but you could get three or four straight days of cool downpours. Finally, you asked about puffy insulation. If the mid-layer you mentioned is fairly beefy and you already have it, then it will probably do fine. Having said that, a light (60g) primaloft jacket or pullover in the 10 oz. range is one of the most versatile and awesome things you can have, and if you're doing some shopping that's one replacement I'd make.

Have fun.

^^ thinking about this a little more -- you could fine-tune the ensemble a little further, even. Instead of the long-sleeve base layer shirt and the fleece, use a driclime windshirt and a very light primaloft or down vest. Versatile, warm, super-stuffable, very light (combined weight of the two items, 12-16 oz).

Haven't posted in a while, been working, just graduated college, and well working on my project car. Things are going good. Been refining my cook set up, and other aspects of my hiking gear. Hygiene kit, first aid, etc. I feel as if I'm going over the top by scrutinizing every item, but I enjoy it. Excellent news is my brother will be joining me on the E2E this year. Excited about that.

Here's my updated clothing list that I plan on taking on my hike.

Socks - 2 pairs of darntough hiking socks & 1 pair cabelas wool socks for sleeping/camp (the cabelas socks are looser fitting and thicker so they should be warmer as someone suggested)
    Underwear - 1 pair of nike combat compression shorts for hiking & 1 pair of exofficio boxer briefs for camp/town/sleep
    Bottom Base Layer - Patagonia Capilene 2
    Top Base Layer - Patagonia Capilene 2 Long Sleeve
    Wool Cap - Smart wool cuffed Beanie (scored it for $3!)
    Midlayer - EMS 1/4 zip pull over (76% merino wool, 24% polyester)
    Hiking T-Shirt - Under Armour Heat Gear T
    Long Sleeve T-Shirt - Patagonia Capilene 2 Half Zip Long Sleeve (I'm going to test this out all summer. Don't know whether I'll prefer hiking in the short sleeve or long sleeve)
    Hiking Pants - EMS nylon non-convertible
    Rain/Wind Jacket - Marmot Precip
    Gloves -Army surplus wool
    Camp Shorts - Nike Running shorts - liner removed
    Merril Hiking Boots
    Hiking Hat
    Bandana
    Prob gonna get some crocs or something similar for camp shoes

I don't think I'm gonna need all of this stuff. It really does cover warm/cool weather hiking, and I'll primarily encounter warm weather in August. No rain pants for me, I'll hike in my running shorts if its raining hard.

What does everyone think?

I hiked the LT during August a few years back, and my experience was that the days were generally warmer than I'd like, but I had a few nights that got down to the low-40s or high-30s. With that context in mind, I wonder whether you don't have too much warm clothing? If you are carrying a 32-degree bag, you should be pretty comfortable sleeping at 40 degrees. If you are carrying a 40-degree bag, then I could imagine that you'd occasionally want warm clothes to sleep in.

So, I guess I'm wondering how you are planning to use your clothing? In particular, the following strike me as cold-ish weather clothing:

Long Sleeve T-Shirt - Patagonia Capilene 2 Half Zip Long Sleeve (I'm going to test this out all summer. Don't know whether I'll prefer hiking in the short sleeve or long sleeve)

I also like Capilene, but I wonder why you'd need a Capilene2 base layer, a second capilene 2 top base layer, a capilene long sleeve t-shirt and also a merino mid-layer? Personally, the only time that I'd ever wear all three of those at the same time would be at below freezing temperatures (but if it does go near freezing you'll either be in your bag, or it'll be early in the morning and you'll be hiking, right?). Also, maybe I'm relatively cold tolerant while hiking, but I don't tend to bust out the wool gloves until October.

Why do you have both the exofficio boxer briefs and the camp shorts? You can sleep in either, and if you're in town you can just go commando until your trail underwear is washed.

Anyway, you seem to have a nice set of clothing to select from, so you'll be fine. I would just be concerned about the weight and volume.

Quote Originally Posted by StubbleJumper View Post
    I hiked the LT during August a few years back, and my experience was that the days were generally warmer than I'd like, but I had a few nights that got down to the low-40s or high-30s. With that context in mind, I wonder whether you don't have too much warm clothing? If you are carrying a 32-degree bag, you should be pretty comfortable sleeping at 40 degrees. If you are carrying a 40-degree bag, then I could imagine that you'd occasionally want warm clothes to sleep in.

So, I guess I'm wondering how you are planning to use your clothing? In particular, the following strike me as cold-ish weather clothing:

I also like Capilene, but I wonder why you'd need a Capilene2 base layer, a second capilene 2 top base layer, a capilene long sleeve t-shirt and also a merino mid-layer? Personally, the only time that I'd ever wear all three of those at the same time would be at below freezing temperatures (but if it does go near freezing you'll either be in your bag, or it'll be early in the morning and you'll be hiking, right?). Also, maybe I'm relatively cold tolerant while hiking, but I don't tend to bust out the wool gloves until October.

Why do you have both the exofficio boxer briefs and the camp shorts? You can sleep in either, and if you're in town you can just go commando until your trail underwear is washed.

Anyway, you seem to have a nice set of clothing to select from, so you'll be fine. I would just be concerned about the weight and volume.
    I see what your saying. It seems most people like to bring a full set of long underwear. Then two other shirts. One for hiking, and one for relaxing in at camp. I prob won't need to sleep in both my long underwear and camp shirt. But my goal is to never ever wear my long underwear so it's always clean and dry. So, If I had to wear ALL my clothes. I would have a baselayer, t-shirt, long sleeve, midlayer, shell. That would keep me warm in very cold temps. I know I'm not going to encounter that cold of temps, but I'm still learning and trying to figure out what works for me.

This is my first long distance hike, learning as I go lol.

in August I doubt you will need both Capilene-2 shirts (sleep shirt and the half zip for hiking). Save a few ounces and just take the half zip, you can use it for a sleep shirt also if needed. what's your sleeping bag? good luck on the hike!
    Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    Haven't posted in a while, been working, just graduated college, and well working on my project car. Things are going good. Been refining my cook set up, and other aspects of my hiking gear. Hygiene kit, first aid, etc. I feel as if I'm going over the top by scrutinizing every item, but I enjoy it. Excellent news is my brother will be joining me on the E2E this year. Excited about that.

Here's my updated clothing list that I plan on taking on my hike.

Socks - 2 pairs of darntough hiking socks & 1 pair cabelas wool socks for sleeping/camp (the cabelas socks are looser fitting and thicker so they should be warmer as someone suggested)
    Underwear - 1 pair of nike combat compression shorts for hiking & 1 pair of exofficio boxer briefs for camp/town/sleep
    Hiking T-Shirt - Under Armour Heat Gear T
    Hiking Pants - EMS nylon non-convertible
    Rain/Wind Jacket - Marmot Precip
    Camp Shorts - Nike Running shorts - liner removed
    Merril Hiking Boots
    Hiking Hat
    Bandana
    Prob gonna get some crocs or something similar for camp shoes

I don't think I'm gonna need all of this stuff. It really does cover warm/cool weather hiking, and I'll primarily encounter warm weather in August. No rain pants for me, I'll hike in my running shorts if its raining hard.

What does everyone think?

You probably won't in August....unless you leave the warm stuff home. Then it'll be freezing.

It's all about your comfort and everybody is different. Some pack overboard, some not enough. Think you've got the bases covered and you'll figure out pretty quick what's working and what isn't necessary. I always carry wool base layers up here, but I'm older and have a hard time getting moving if I'm too cold in the morning. Like the high boot socks, but I also bring the short ones. Darn Tuff makes some but personally like the Smartwool ones. Nice in crocs around a cool camp.

Funny thing about crocs...they're ugly and bulky to carry, but are like foot therapy after a long day on the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCountryWoods View Post
    You probably won't in August....unless you leave the warm stuff home. Then it'll be freezing.

It's all about your comfort and everybody is different. Some pack overboard, some not enough. Think you've got the bases covered and you'll figure out pretty quick what's working and what isn't necessary. I always carry wool base layers up here, but I'm older and have a hard time getting moving if I'm too cold in the morning. Like the high boot socks, but I also bring the short ones. Darn Tuff makes some but personally like the Smartwool ones. Nice in crocs around a cool camp.

Funny thing about crocs...they're ugly and bulky to carry, but are like foot therapy after a long day on the trail.
    I know, I haven't really "refined" my clothes to MY comfort zone yet. I've spent 4 nights in the woods with gear I still have and gear I don't use anymore. So i feel like two weeks in the woods will let me know what I'm looking at clothing wise. Never brought camp shoes with me before, but the sound of it makes me smile. I feel like it'll be that same euphoric feeling I get when I'm tired and I take that first seat in my hammock after a long days hike. I'm no ultra lighter, but like to analyze my gear. In other words, I'm not getting rid of something that makes me soooo much more comfortable to save 4-5 oz. I'll look elsewhere. We all have our own needs, I'm certainly learning that.

I've never worn crocs, but I hear good things. Totally not my style either, but I could give a damn in the woods. I heard they make a pair in camo

Thanks for your input. Regards

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++