WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Lightbulb Mason Dixon Line---> North

I hiked Mason Dixon Line--> South Last year, and am looking to complete my hike this year. I would like to complete some of PA in Mid to Late February (yes I know it will be cold). I am looking for someone that would be interested in starting from opposite directions and switching car keys so that we would have vehicles waiting for us. We wouldn't have to necessarily have to hike at the same pace (just distance) since we would just leave each other's cars at the end point with the key locked inside. Ideally, this would be long weekend hikes. If I'm going out for more than that I would arrange for a shuttle. Maybe this is a crazy idea, but I met many Section hikers that had people hiking with just one car and had to hitchhike back or arrange for costly shuttles, so I'm giving this idea a try.

I'm open to other sections of the trail north of MD, but since I'll be staying in DC, prefer to knock out the PA as much as possible.

I'd put myself on the list of possibles. I think we'd have to switch cars somewhere beforehand, so that I'm hiking to my car and you're hiking to yours, but it'd be doable with a little planning.

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I don't know how far you're going, but I know a guy who is very reasonable with his shuttle prices, and one of the most trustworthy folks I know. PM me if you want details.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

On the List. :-)

Journal Entries
    Images

Are you the same Biner that Snacktime and I met coming down off McAfee Knob last September?
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Not a crazy idea. I am interested in key swapping through southern & northern PA. Let's PM and see if this method would work for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    Are you the same Biner that Snacktime and I met coming down off McAfee Knob last September?
    Yep...you also gave trail magic to Pivot & Goose.

Journal Entries
    Images

Yes we did! We're going to be in some part of PA in late May, so maybe we'll catch up with you again so you can have a 2014 bag! We'll be keeping track of your progress if you post, and again, feel free to PM me for shuttle info if you'd like.

I'd be interested in a key swap, except I live far enough that I'd need to hike almost a week (at least 80miles) to make it worth my time. and I can't say for sure when I could get away again. Maybe April-May. I lack everything north of Harpers Ferry, plus the I-81/Atkins to Daleville section in VA. Message me in April if any of you can do a week.

Smokieshangman says he only wants to do the key swap for a series of daily day hikes. I might do that with him, but I'd rather arrange to meet at the start, one person drive the car to the other end and both stay on the trail for a week or so and swap keys only to meet up at the end. I'd try to do that anywhere (that I've not been yet) with anyone who would let me pay them to get me to and from public transportation to get me from home to the trail.

On the AT, there is companionship anywhere you look for it so that wouldn't bother me not to see my partner if I didn't know you in the first place. Just share drivers license, car license, cell phone and other contact info. On a lesser traveled path, I'd rather use 2 cars placed at each end so partners could actually stay together every night.
    Edwin

++ New Posts ++