WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Alcohol type for stove

I see that Wally World has Heet on sale. Their yellow bottle, Methyl Alcohol is 4 for $6.00, and their red bottles, Isopropyl Alcohol is 4 for $6.98. What is the difference for using in an alcohol stove. Thanks in advance

You want methyl alcohol. Yellow bottle. I use denatured alcohol though, it's less than $20 for a gallon at the hardware store.

Images

Denatured alcohol is usually ethyl alcohol (ethanol - the stuff in booze) with something, typically methyl alcohol (methanol), added to "denature" it - to make it poisonous so you can't drink it (otherwise it would be regulated and taxed). Yellow HEET is pretty much pure methanol (99%) with unknown traces of what are likely light oils (info is proprietary). Red HEET is 99% isopropyl alcohol (isopropanol), typically found in "rubbing alcohol" and will smoke when burned - avoid as stove fuel. Denatured ethanol has a slightly higher heating value than methanol, but it isn't worth fussing over from a hiker standpoint.

Thanks MD and 4eyed. I have used denatured from the paint department at the big box hardware store, but that looked like a good deal. Just didn't know what the difference would be.

Use denatured alcohol or HEET in yellow bottle only - NOT RED!
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Son Driven
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Baldbaron View Post
    I see that Wally World has Heet on sale. Their yellow bottle, Methyl Alcohol is 4 for $6.00, and their red bottles, Isopropyl Alcohol is 4 for $6.98. What is the difference for using in an alcohol stove. Thanks in advance
    I tested both, and the Isopropyl burns dirty and leaves a thick coat of soot on your cook wear.
    03/07/13 - 10/07/13 Flip flop AT thru hike "It is well with my soul"

++ New Posts ++