WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Birch Spring Gap GSMNP Campsite

My guidebook states the shelter has been removed but there are pads installed. Is this still true and has anyone camped there recently? When I reserve my shelter sites would this be an option or do they consider it "off" the AT? Planning a SOBO from Newfound Gap in the spring and was looking at my last night at Birch Spring before walking out the next morning. Thanks in advance for the help!
    "...grab a stick, we're going for a walk."

It's campsite number 119 and is maybe 200 feet off the AT. It's a reservation spot.

I've been there recently and the pads are still there. You have to reserve a spot through the GSMNP backcountry reservation system. There are different rules for thrus so check out the website. It is on the AT. The area can be very muddy if it's been raining and the pad sites aren't very level. I had an amazing experience there when I woke up during the night and the whole area was filled with fireflys.

Sorry, didn't read closely and see it's not a thru hike. All camp sites in the smokeys have to have reservations just like the shelters.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
    It's campsite number 119 and is maybe 200 feet off the AT. It's a reservation spot.
    Hey Rasty, I'm pretty sure it's 113.

And your response wasn't there at the time I responded, strange (or maybe not), I answered 2 hrs later than you.
    Last edited by Traffic Jam; 01-09-2014 at 06:00.

Thank you guys for the help! Makes sense now.
    "...grab a stick, we're going for a walk."

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    Hey Rasty, I'm pretty sure it's 113.

And your response wasn't there at the time I responded, strange (or maybe not), I answered 2 hrs later than you.
    113 is correct. Memory gets fuzzy sometimes

Quote Originally Posted by Point Man Chef View Post
    My guidebook states the shelter has been removed but there are pads installed. Is this still true and has anyone camped there recently? When I reserve my shelter sites would this be an option or do they consider it "off" the AT? Planning a SOBO from Newfound Gap in the spring and was looking at my last night at Birch Spring before walking out the next morning. Thanks in advance for the help!
    Stayed there last June. Its a normal campsite(s), about 10 spots for tents, 2 or 3 sets of bear cables, and a piped spring. about 150 yds off the AT.

Images

imo, its one of the best campsites in the park.....

in winter---one can have views of gregory's bald from the tent pads.....

its a great spot where the tent pads and the common area area are spread out and one can have somewhat of some privacy....

the common area has part of the old shelter wall, the spring, and a fire ring......

absolutely loved that site when i stayed there a few years ago...

++ New Posts ++