WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Son Driven
    Journal Entries

In my mind trail running, and hiking are two separate activities; hikers walk, from town town, re-supply, do laundry, socialize at hostel stays, and carry food, clothing, and shelter. Trail runners run from road crossing, to road crossing were they receive support, not needing to carry food, shelter & clothing.
    Last edited by Son Driven; 01-12-2014 at 19:38.
    03/07/13 - 10/07/13 Flip flop AT thru hike "It is well with my soul"

Quote Originally Posted by Son Driven View Post
    In my mind trail running, and hiking are to separate activities; hikers walk, from town town, re-supply, do laundry, socialize at hostel stays, and carry food, clothing, and shelter. Trail runners run from road crossing, to road crossing were they receive support, not needing to carry food, shelter & clothing.
    What is one walks from road crossing to road crossing?
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by takethisbread View Post
    I doubt it!
    frankly I hope he fails. I want jennifer Pharr Davis to hold the record bc she's a hiker. she walked it , . she is part of this community.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ouch.. That's one of those things you think but don't say....

Son Driven
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    What is one walks from road crossing to road crossing?
    Perhaps a third event. The AT will become like a track & field venue, where multiple events are utilizing the same track. Add a bunch of movie crews and the AT can become a three ring circus. Personally I find trail runners disturbing they expect you to just to jump out of the way for them. Not so easy for me, since I have a problem with poison plants.

Perhaps a third event. The AT will become like a track & field venue, where multiple events are utilizing the same track. Add a bunch of movie crews and the AT can become a three ring circus.
    Which state gets the Steeplechase, VT or ME?
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    No she didn't, I saw her running the trail without a pack outside of Dalton. Not to diminish what she did. And she did stop and talk to me, which was very nice. Records are made to be broken and the coolest thing was when the current record holder met Jen at SPringer to congratulate her.
    I think takethisbread was referring to JPD's first Thru hike which was a "traditional" style of hike.

Images

In my mind trail running, and hiking are two separate activities; hikers walk, from town town, re-supply, do laundry, socialize at hostel stays, and carry food, clothing, and shelter. Trail runners run from road crossing, to road crossing were they receive support, not needing to carry food, shelter & clothing.
    Then why are you such a Jen fan? She hardly did what you described, at least not on her record run. I fear if you were in charge you would take away my thruhiker certificate. I spent little time in town socializing with other hikers. It's about time for Mags to swoop in with his HMHDI.

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    Then why are you such a Jen fan? She hardly did what you described, at least not on her record run. I fear if you were in charge you would take away my thruhiker certificate. I spent little time in town socializing with other hikers. It's about time for Mags to swoop in with his HMHDI.
    Certificate? Dang if I'd a known you get a genuine certificate..............nevermind.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by aficion View Post
    Certificate? Dang if I'd a known you get a genuine certificate..............nevermind.
    If you finish the PCT you can get either a certificate or a medal! It's the only reason I did it.

Son Driven
    Journal Entries

Never claimed to be a fan of Jen, or diminish your achievement. And in my mind running without a full pack is different then hiking with a full pack. It is a different activity that uses the same trail. You still completed the AT and earned your certificate.

Images

I've never found a law that says for setting a record from point A to point B one is limited to walking it. It is not an Olympic venue with strict rules and the records are still mostly based on honor so to me it does not make any difference if you walk it or run it or crawl it. Start from either terminus and finish in the other terminus in the fastest time without any help and you are the unsupported record holder.

Get help along the route and finish it fastest and you are the supported record holder. You want to run it,then run. You want to hike it then hike. You want to crawl then crawl.Just pass the whole trail as you wish and don't skip any part short or long unless it is an official reroute. That is the only requirement IMO.

Perhaps a third event. The AT will become like a track & field venue, where multiple events are utilizing the same track. Add a bunch of movie crews and the AT can become a three ring circus. Personally I find trail runners disturbing they expect you to just to jump out of the way for them. Not so easy for me, since I have a problem with poison plants.
    Never claimed to be a fan of Jen, or diminish your achievement. And in my mind running without a full pack is different then hiking with a full pack. It is a different activity that uses the same trail. You still completed the AT and earned your certificate.
    You seem to be trying to say something, but coming a little short in making your point. If I'm not mistaken you seem to be saying that a supported speed hike is easier than a typical thru-hike.

As for it being a different activity...so? My hiking style can also be considered a different activity, since I carry at least twice as much weight as the typical TH and I my town visits are far fewer. And I despise "trail magic"...Talk about a "venue" on the trail.

Some times i feel like a trail RUNNER, Wasn't there a guy last year or the year before that got the unsupported record what was his name?

Son Driven
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    You seem to be trying to say something, but coming a little short in making your point. If I'm not mistaken you seem to be saying that a supported speed hike is easier than a typical thru-hike.

As for it being a different activity...so? My hiking style can also be considered a different activity, since I carry at least twice as much weight as the typical TH and I my town visits are far fewer. And I despise "trail magic"...Talk about a "venue" on the trail.
    Please, my very human mind makes sorts. And in my mind a supported run is a different activity then a un-supported hike. Like a track & field event. It is one overall event with multiple events. All of the athletes are recognized for the achievement of there event. I never eluded that one achievement was greater then another. The only selfish negative thing I said about trail runners, is being made to feel like I need to hurly step aside for them, when I need to find a ivy free place to get out of there way.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

It's about time for Mags to swoop in with his HMHDI.
    Ask and rec'd
    http://www.pmags.com/hike-my-hike-damn-it-hmhdi

I'd also like to remind our gentle readers that this forum is not the place to debate speed hikes.
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...iking-(sticky)

thanks!

If you finish the PCT you can get either a certificate or a medal! It's the only reason I did it.
    Time spent outdoors sucks. The only reason why i hiked any of the trails is for totchkes on my "I love me wall". In fact, since I've done the CDT, I've pretty much given up any outdoor activity.
    Last edited by Mags; 01-13-2014 at 19:09.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post

Time spent outdoors sucks. The only reason why i hiked any of the trails is for totchkes on my "I love me wall". In fact, since I've done the CDT, I've pretty much given up any outdoor activity.
    Instead you've devoted yourself to becoming a media star and mogul.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marta View Post
    Instead you've devoted yourself to becoming a media star and mogul.
    My ultimate goal is to be like Ted Turner and have a chain of over priced steak houses.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Karl is pretty badass and an accomplished Ultra runner, It would be cool to pace him for a few miles on the trail...

I was pretty much anti Karl after I saw his website last time saying it was him against the trail and a lot of ego crap.

But then, he did start with heavy heavy rains a week before and on his first 5 days and had to wait sometimes just to cross streams up in Maine and then, like someone mentioned, got trenchfoot and had to take a few days off.
    But, for whatever reason, he continued.

I think I would have started over as he then had no chance to beat the record but continued to try to do it his fastest.
    So, I gained a lot of respect for him.

I also thought it pretty cool that he was sponsored by Salomon shoes but ran/hiked parts of it in Montrail Vitesses because they ARE the best (of course they don't make them anymore)

I know I'll be following if he does try.
    I bet he doesn't bring that big RV again.
    He learned a lot I imagine.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Jenn learned to walk before she ran. 2005 thruHIKE. Was around her a few days near Kincora. Maybe someone already mentioned that...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++