WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Karl Meltzer 2014 AT FKT attempt

According to JPD, Karl will be going after the AT record again.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Just looked at his website and it looks like he's planning to run in the Speedgoat 50K on July 19th. If he went SOBO again he would have to leave pretty early in June. Leaving after Speedgoat doesn't make any sense.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by fredmugs View Post
    Just looked at his website and it looks like he's planning to run in the Speedgoat 50K on July 19th. If he went SOBO again he would have to leave pretty early in June. Leaving after Speedgoat doesn't make any sense.
    Assuming a southbound hike, if I'm not mistaken he'd still mostly have 13-14 hours of daylight, losing at the most 30 minutes from a June start.

Images

I don't see why a late july start would be bad for trying to break the record. At the speed he should be going that seems like a great time to start. Of course I live off the PCT in So. California, what would I know about the East coast!

Quote Originally Posted by fredmugs View Post
    He's the race director of sg50k. Typically one does not race in their own race. He will certainly be there at the finish line though. Also he has an automatic entry to western states in June which I highly doubt he would pass up on and has expressed interest in the Zion 100 in early April.

I don't think 2014 is his year but he really wants the AT fkt so who knows.

Any relation to Brad Meltzer who might help him decode the answers to the thrilling aspects of strange lights in the sky over the AT?

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Any relation to Brad Meltzer who might help him decode the answers to the thrilling aspects of strange lights in the sky over the AT?
    I doubt it!
    frankly I hope he fails. I want jennifer Pharr Davis to hold the record bc she's a hiker. she walked it , . she is part of this community.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    YOUTUBE: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMDkRcGP1yP20SOD-oiSGcQ
    Instagram: DIGGER_PCT_2016
    twitter: @takethisbread
    AT 2x, LT, JMT, CT, Camino, Ireland Coast to Coast, HWT, WT, NET, NST, PCT

Images

Quote Originally Posted by takethisbread View Post
    I doubt it!
    frankly I hope he fails. I want jennifer Pharr Davis to hold the record bc she's a hiker. she walked it , . she is part of this community.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I find that sentiment to be fairly rancid. Hoping that someone fails at any endever such as this, is wrong on so many levels.

Wishing Karl the best if he decides for a FKT. I look forward to his comments here if he becomes aware of the thread.

His approach to the FKT will be much different this time per his own words.

Finally. - 2000 miles is not that far.

I doubt it!
    Wow! What a pitiful/small/childish response. Congrats!

I don't wish ill on anyone, especially in terms of achieving a dream... But I can understand the sentiment that the record should stay with the hiker community. Then again, if Karl does it he will certainly become a part of the community.

You guys talk like he's using a jetpack to fly along the trail. He's attempting to do the whole thing...on foot...just like the "hiking community"

For the Record:

Karl Meltzer- Maine to Georgia 2008… 54 days, 21 hours, 12 minutes. 4th fastest time...

GA-ME 2011
    Images

I doubt it!
    No she didn't, I saw her running the trail without a pack outside of Dalton. Not to diminish what she did. And she did stop and talk to me, which was very nice. Records are made to be broken and the coolest thing was when the current record holder met Jen at SPringer to congratulate her.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputen View Post
    For the Record:

Karl Meltzer- Maine to Georgia 2008… 54 days, 21 hours, 12 minutes. 4th fastest time...
    That's right, I think he continued hiking after an early setback virtually assured he wouldn't break any records. To me that's an incredible testimony in itself.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Yes he did. I followed his hike on line. He had terrible weather with tons of rain after leaving Katahdin and ended up with trench foot.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Quote Originally Posted by RITBlake View Post
    You guys talk like he's using a jetpack to fly along the trail. He's attempting to do the whole thing...on foot...just like the "hiking community"
    I should have added; I don't know if Karl is 'part of the community' or not... I just could understand that sentiment if he wasn't. In hindsight, I'm not even sure I know what that would mean.

We jogged a few sections of the AT along my thru hike, sometimes out of boredom, sometimes just for a challenge. Guess my thru hike no longer counts because I didn't hike the whole thing!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    That's right, I think he continued hiking after an early setback virtually assured he wouldn't break any records. To me that's an incredible testimony in itself.
    How can this be? There must be a mistake. That would make him "part of ou community."

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    How can this be? There must be a mistake. That would make him "part of ou community."
    He is def one of us. I doubt many of us fall into his group.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++