WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Of course, then there are those who hang their hammock inside the shelter ... and leave the eye bolts screwed into the beams for the next shelter hammock hanger.

Images

in all the years i have never heard of that! eye bolts? really?
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

AT 2012

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    you do miss the social stuff in the shelter. the conversations to all hours, noises in the night, people climbing over you when nature calls, early starters and sometimes the occasional musician, but if you don't take a pad you will miss this. many times saying i wish i could stay, but the hammock you know
    i'm with you, KK... Hang out at the shelter for a bit, then wander off to the comfort of my hammock. Only time I sleep in a shelter is when there isn't anyone else around or I am just with a friend... As in mid winter. But I can understand wanting the flexibility. I guess.
    Lazarus

Images

I like to hammock near a shelter. That way I get the picnic table , some social interaction if I want it, usually decent water, and the comfort and quiet of my own hammock. Shelter floors are hard and uncomfortable.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    in all the years i have never heard of that! eye bolts? really?

More likley Pad eyes that are rated 600 lbs - I have a pair in the basement from a Marine store. Came with some huge screws. I haven't seen it at any shelter round here. Kind of pointless as the setups are easy for the trees...
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

As far as what you sleep on in the shelter you have a lot already, possibly too much, in terms of insulation and a little comfort. Here's what I notice U have alraedy: UQ, TQ, 15*liner, hammock, backpack. All those items can be used to sleep on to getcha some insulation. Also throw in maps, books, unworn clothing, food bags, shoes, etc. I regularly cowboy with less carried insulation than that on the ground NOT in a shelter. No way would I carry more stuff(sleeping pad) for inside a shelter w/ your hammock set up - which to me is already a bit redundant and unnecessary.
    I like the convenience of a shelter SOMETIMES(like cooking under it, sorting crap out, drying gear, etc) but hammock away from the shelter. I don't want to hike someone else's hike. I want to hike my hike. Can't really do that now when you're in a shelter full of other hikers all the time can ya? I'm w/ KK and lazarus in wanting to hammock away from shelters or simply not at shelters at all very often. I'm also on board with KK in regard to practicing setting up your hammock so it's not a long process which is a giood thing to be able to always do anyhow like when it's poring rain. You might switch out some of the stock hanging system hardware such as comes w/ Hennessy Hammocks to further make set up faster(Whoopie slings, Dutch Ti Hardware, carabiners, S-hooks, at least learn some quicker knots, etc)

For the occasional meadow snooze I would use what you are already bringing. If shelters will be a regular thing for you I would bring a head to hip bone CCF pad of some sort. Dirt is much softer than the wood shelter floors.
    Merry 2012 AT blog
    "Not all those who wander are lost."

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Jones View Post
    If you're using a torso pad and trash compactor bag as an inner pack liner, just turn the bag inside out and put your pack in it before bed. That way you can still put your legs on your pack. I wouldn't wrap it tight, just leave the end open for a little air circulation. Might even dry your pack a bit.
    Same here.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by wcgornto View Post
    Of course, then there are those who hang their hammock inside the shelter ... and leave the eye bolts screwed into the beams for the next shelter hammock hanger.
    I've seen it. Note that lean-to structures are not built to handle the stress of suspended hammocks.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

I had the exact same concerns a while back during my planning process. I knew that I was going to want to utilize the shelters during bad weather, the GSMNP, and when I want to kick it with trail friends (plus I love expanding my options). I eventually decided on a cozy JRB Greylock 4 (22 oz), Gossamer Gear sleep pad (4oz - thank you Andrew Skurka) which works well for keeping my legs and feet warm while in the hammock and back warm on the ground, and a Marmot Plasma 30 bag (23 oz).

So my sleep pad serves 3 purposes: Pack liner for my ULA OHM, lower body insulation while in hammock, and of course sleep pad/sitting pad in shelter/under the stars. My Plasma 30 serves as my "top quilt" in hammock and main bag on the ground. I can use my underquilt as added insulation/comfort item on those rough nights.

I have tested this system several times in temps as low as 20 degrees and slept like a hibernating bear, however; I would like to add a light extra heat via a bag liner. I know bag liners in hammocks suck butt bad so I am reluctant to go conventional. I have considered modifying a liner with a zipper or velcro but I hate to add on more weight. I just need something to carry me through the first few months begining in FEB. Any good advice expert hangers and hikers?

How about a light fleece or silk liner set up like a quilt? I made a summer fleece version with a sewn footbox, but left off the zippers, velcro, etc. Works great.

Right now I have a 15* degree UQ and a 40 TQ. I tested out the 15 and 40 combo a few days ago when the temp was 15 degrees. It was too cold for my liking. I've taken this setup down to 30 and have been fine though. I also have the small z-lite pad. I think I'll bring it along to sit on and use if I want to sleep on the ground. It adds about 10 oz, but brings a lot of versatility.

What did you use to stay warm? And what kind of tarp setup did you have?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++