WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

Default Yet another good reason to keep the IPhone buried in my pack while hiking.

I don't have a cell phone. It may be a good time before I actually get one.

It's that time of year that coworkers at my PT job like to stay updated on the football games even while at work. The assistant manager was seen numerous times checking the scores on his IPhone. No big deal, I look at the TV in the bar occasionally myself.

What shocked me was that he was watching a live broadcast of the game(s) on his tiny screen!!

I'm sorry folks, but unless you've been out for days and days and it's been raining hours and hours each day, I don't want to have access to or be anywhere near anyone that is idling away their time by watching a sports game, sitcom, movie, or the news.

I have everythng else to look at, taste, hear, experience, smell and feel. Not to mention the fact that the silence of the woods could be interrupted by..........TOUCHDOWN!! YES!!! WAHOO!!!

Not saying ya gotta agree with me, I'm just saying what I feel.

Amen Brother, I totally agree, I go to the woods to get away from all of the noise and confusion of the city. I used to have a buddy who always wanted to bring a TV with us camping..I always refused telling him that he may as well stay home if he was just going to watch TV in the woods. I didnt want any part of it!

Journal Entries
    Images

Part of the issue here is clearly our age... as we get older we are not interested in new things and entertainment at our fingertips... Understandable that we as a group can look up things... keep in touch and reach out to another....
    Two days ago I got into a Scion and it was stick and a salesman older than I was behind me and more portly. It was like being 19 again... oh wow... I tore it up patched and did a 180 and my wife was giddy as a schoolgirl behind the wheel- the young bucks have no idea what a stick can do... well most of them... The salesman was "lets do more! kind of attitude... we had a good time and bought a far more practical Ford Escape Hybrid after the test... because we could spend a little more and receive better value..

My point is we can now carry our "wireless" phones and ask them to do things we could not have imagined... I can get radio or books at my fingertips I can ask my phone to record an accident or human event.

The genie is clearly out of the bottle and you are attempting to put the stopper back... embrace or reject .. that is your decision.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I hear ya DS. Personally...don't care.....bring a TV, don't bring a TV, smell the roses or don't smell the roses. As long as a person doesn't impose their values on others, and follows the "Golden Rule" do what you want.

Images

If you're getting scores on your phone in the woods, you're not far enough back there...
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Part of the issue here is clearly our age... as we get older we are not interested in new things and entertainment at our fingertips... Understandable that we as a group can look up things... keep in touch and reach out to another....
    Two days ago I got into a Scion and it was stick and a salesman older than I was behind me and more portly. It was like being 19 again... oh wow... I tore it up patched and did a 180 and my wife was giddy as a schoolgirl behind the wheel- the young bucks have no idea what a stick can do... well most of them... The salesman was "lets do more! kind of attitude... we had a good time and bought a far more practical Ford Escape Hybrid after the test... because we could spend a little more and receive better value..

My point is we can now carry our "wireless" phones and ask them to do things we could not have imagined... I can get radio or books at my fingertips I can ask my phone to record an accident or human event.

The genie is clearly out of the bottle and you are attempting to put the stopper back... embrace or reject .. that is your decision.
    coulda bought a chevy

Images

i was happy to have absolutely no phone service in maine last week.i,too enjoy disconnecting.
    electronics however are very much a part of todays at culture, and as woo, suggests, its unavoidable.
    fortunately there are plenty of wild places you can still hike undisturbed by football scores or musical ones

Pffffffft

I can chew gum and walk
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    Pffffffft

I can chew gum and walk
    dont you have one more hill to climb?

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    dont you have one more hill to climb?
    Yeah. And I'll make some posts from up there too.....
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

Yeah. And I'll make some posts from up there too.....
    really happy for you.great hike. great journal. and checking in with us here has been an added delight.

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    coulda bought a chevy
    He's old enough to remember the Vega.

Journal Entries
    Images

Pffffffft

I can chew gum and walk
    incredibly PITHY and I love it... great response!
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Technology is making everyone weak!! This guy knows the right way to watch TV on the trail

Attached Images Attached Images

Images

Quote Originally Posted by quasarr View Post
    Technology is making everyone weak!! This guy knows the right way to watch TV on the trail

And the weight distribution is all wrong!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Different Socks View Post
    And the weight distribution is all wrong!
    not really,his power source, the lithium ion battery in his pack, weighs 80 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    Better than the Pinto and the exploding gas tank.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Images

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    Remember the Vega? I owned one!

Quote Originally Posted by Different Socks View Post

I'm sorry folks, but unless you've been out for days and days and it's been raining hours and hours each day, I don't want to have access to or be anywhere near anyone that is idling away their time by watching a sports game, sitcom, movie, or the news.
    If you don't like it you can put on your pack and hike away from whatever is annoying you. Seriously, what is with all the complaining on these boards about how others enjoy their time outside? If that person is disturbing the sleep of a shelter with their electronic device, that's one thing that is a legitimate complaint. But if they're minding their own business, using headphones, and not keeping people awake, then **** and hike your own hike like they are.
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Flash View Post
    If you don't like it you can put on your pack and hike away from whatever is annoying you. Seriously, what is with all the complaining on these boards about how others enjoy their time outside? If that person is disturbing the sleep of a shelter with their electronic device, that's one thing that is a legitimate complaint. But if they're minding their own business, using headphones, and not keeping people awake, then **** and hike your own hike like they are.
    My guess is you are one of those people that text and drive b/c you believe if I haven't had an accident yet, I won't.
    And why should I be forced to choose the option to go somewhere else for the peace and quiet of the outdoors when it was their unforced option to bring the device AND use it?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++