WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyWalker View Post
    I thought religion was not a part of Whiteblaze? I think you need to move this to a site that is featuring Yoga. It is a form of discrimination, allowing this thread, which has tremendous ties to religious thought, conviction, doctrine etc., to continue and not allow Christian threads etc. This isn't really connected to hiking. Oh sure, one can try to make the connection, just like our Christian friend did and the thread was stopped. You could bring politics into this site, say that it was part of hiking as people talk and debate. I don't think this is wise to allow this thread. My opinion.
    You're not serious are you? Did you not read what Alligator posted? There are a couple hostels that offer Yoga but I can't remember their names. I wish I had more to contribute but I am just so tired of coming to WB and seeing ridiculous, sarcastic, or mean responses to threads.

Images

Thanks for all the comments positive and otherwise. In 2011 I got off the trail in Damascus partly due to pain in my knee and hip. Physical therapy at home determined I had very tight hamstrings which were suspected as causing my pain. Exercises and stretches were prescribed and over time worked. I found the stretches prescribed in physical therapy to the same ones done in a local yoga class. For me yoga is preventive therapy to keep me healthy so I can play golf, hike and enjoy daily activities. I simply want to continue stretching while hiking the AT in 2014. It is my physical therapy. For me no part of this is religious, but I understand and respect if someone has that opinion. For me this is all about keeping me healthy enough to enjoy this wonderful activity hiking that we on WB all love. 4-iron

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 4-iron View Post
    Thanks for all the comments positive and otherwise. In 2011 I got off the trail in Damascus partly due to pain in my knee and hip. Physical therapy at home determined I had very tight hamstrings which were suspected as causing my pain. Exercises and stretches were prescribed and over time worked. I found the stretches prescribed in physical therapy to the same ones done in a local yoga class. For me yoga is preventive therapy to keep me healthy so I can play golf, hike and enjoy daily activities. I simply want to continue stretching while hiking the AT in 2014. It is my physical therapy. For me no part of this is religious, but I understand and respect if someone has that opinion. For me this is all about keeping me healthy enough to enjoy this wonderful activity hiking that we on WB all love. 4-iron
    T'ai Chi is also a very good workout, and you don't need a matt. AND, it's NOT a religious exercise, altho some believe in it.
    DeerPath

LIFE'S JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE GRAVE SAFELY
    IN A WELL PRESERVED BODY,
    BUT RATHER SKID IN SIDEWAYS, TOTALLY WORN OUT,
    SHOUTING "HOLY CRAP....WHAT A RIDE!"

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyWalker View Post
    I thought religion was not a part of Whiteblaze? I think you need to move this to a site that is featuring Yoga. It is a form of discrimination, allowing this thread, which has tremendous ties to religious thought, conviction, doctrine etc., to continue and not allow Christian threads etc. This isn't really connected to hiking. Oh sure, one can try to make the connection, just like our Christian friend did and the thread was stopped. You could bring politics into this site, say that it was part of hiking as people talk and debate. I don't think this is wise to allow this thread. My opinion.
    No you are mistaken. There is no specific prohibition of religious threads here. It is the excessive arguing that gets threads shut down, and if specific religious topics are shut down, that means that the topic is closed and subject to the user agreement #3, which I will quote for you as you just broke that one and #15 as well.
    3. Topics that have been closed, deleted, or moved by an Administrator or Moderator have been done for a reason. Users will not open new threads on the same subject or continue to make posts about subjects that have had these actions taken. Failing to comply with this policy can result in being placed into moderated status.

15. If a user believes a violation of WhiteBlaze Rules has occurred, they should advise a Moderator or Administrator by a Private Message (“PM”) with a link, if possible, to the post in question. If it is a post you want to refer to them please click on the report post icon in the post in question.
    Regarding this thread, we have had people ask in the past where to find churches on the trail or AA meetings even, so from that viewpoint, the thread is accessible. Next, while practitioners of Yoga may engage on the spiritual side of things, it's very common for practitioners to be solely interested in the mental and physical benefits without any adherence to any particular Eastern religion. Lots of people in the U.S. practice Yoga who are not Hindu, with the interest being on the health benefits (next point).

We have threads running frequently asking the best workout routines and physical therapy approaches to better one's hiking fitness. From that perspective, it is also acceptable. Yoga can be very helpful in improving flexibility, balance, and strength and that can translate into a better trail experience.

Now, the OP's question above was pretty straightforward. Rather than continue with a discussion on this thread about pros and cons, it would be polite to address the question asked. The OP only has 11 posts in two years. Let's just help him out.

In the future please remember the two rules quoted above. Thank you.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Wow.. 4-iron what a good response! Very respectful- I'm blown away. I join you in that respect and understanding. I wish I could point you to a convenient place in Daleville VA to attend a class. If you really wanted to spend the time, I would be willing to drive you to my gym where a guest pays 7 dollars per visit when you come through. I know they have classes there.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ams212001 View Post
    You could also check with hostels. Now that I think about it I have seen pictures of people doing group yoga at a hostel along the trail. I can not remember which one though. But hostels might be a good resource to find a class in town.
    At Woodshole Hostel (10 miles south of Pearisburg, VA) owner Neville leads a morning yoga class...weather permitting.

She and Michael are also massage therapists. Now that is really something a tired, sore hiker can enjoy.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    Really? And all this time I thought it was just people tying themselves in knots much to the amusement of onlookers. Lighten up, Francis!
    Yeah, we need less Francis's and more Big Toes like Sgt Hulka. Wonder how many more Stripes references we can come up with?.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L’Amour

One of the best thing you can do prior to hiking is yoga or pilates or P90X or Insanity. Walking is just as dependant on your core as your leg muscles. Core muscles - stomach, hips, lower back. Yoga is the best to strengthen your core. Do your yoga.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMom58 View Post
    Wow.. 4-iron what a good response! Very respectful- I'm blown away. I join you in that respect and understanding. I wish I could point you to a convenient place in Daleville VA to attend a class. If you really wanted to spend the time, I would be willing to drive you to my gym where a guest pays 7 dollars per visit when you come through. I know they have classes there.
    Thanks HikerMom58 Look forward to it. Will contact you when I get near 4-iron

Quote Originally Posted by 4-iron View Post
    Thanks HikerMom58 Look forward to it. Will contact you when I get near 4-iron
    Sounds good looking forward to meeting you!

I love yoga, but who needs a class? Mats are cheap and light, take one with you. If you're not confident, take a notepad and make notes during a class so you'll remember the progression. I'd imagine yoga alone in the woods would be an interesting new experience, and seriously, the effort of trying to get rides and make classes on time would be a bit counterproductive to the whole peace-of-mind/relaxation thing.

Images

Prior to setting out on the trail I posted a similar question about yoga. I'd planned to find studios or classes along the trail and even fantasized about meeting other happy hikers doing the same. I started out with the best of intentions but soon realized that I just didn't have extra energy to expend. I did make it to one class though I can't remember even what state it was in. Mostly I stretched did modified poses in my tent or sometime when inspired by the surroundings. I know had I been more disciplined, it would have helped to loosen up and stretch out muscles that contract from the weight of a pack. I'd love to have met others doing yoga on the trail. I just didn't have that good fortune. Maybe you will and you'll update this thread or start another. Namaste.
    Follow your bliss......
    Joseph Campbell
    http://www.trailjournals.com/rockie/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++