WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default A Question of Form

Out on the trail, when is it good form to offer unsolicited advice? When is it good form to offer unwanted advice? Is it only when the advice might save someone from serious jeopardy, or is it also okay when it just might be a little bit helpful? I am accustomed to know-it-alls on line...and guilty of being one...however I have often been taken a bit aback by how forward many backpackers seem to be with their knowledge when you meet them on the trail. Maybe it is just me, but my opinion is that it is just not good form to spout advice and opinions to those one encounters briefly and casually trailside. Being entitled to one's opinion does not imply the propriety of always sharing it.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aficion View Post
    Out on the trail, when is it good form to offer unsolicited advice? When is it good form to offer unwanted advice? Is it only when the advice might save someone from serious jeopardy, or is it also okay when it just might be a little bit helpful? I am accustomed to know-it-alls on line...and guilty of being one...however I have often been taken a bit aback by how forward many backpackers seem to be with their knowledge when you meet them on the trail. Maybe it is just me, but my opinion is that it is just not good form to spout advice and opinions to those one encounters briefly and casually trailside. Being entitled to one's opinion does not imply the propriety of always sharing it.
    Unsolicited? Almost never. If the person is in danger of harming themself or others, then OK.

Truth is, there is no right way, or wrong way, and any attempt to educate is usually take as an attack.

I came into the Fontana Hilton back in september last yr and there was a young guy there getting ready to hike the Smokies. His pack probably weighed 65-70 lbs. He admitted he splurged and spent $18 on the imitation military pack as well.

A young woman from Australia was helping him reduce his pack weight, and was so much more tactful than I could ever be, so I pretty much just stayed quiet. I did eat an orange from the bag of oranges we convinced him to leave behind though.

The young lady was kind enough to take about 25 lbs of stuff from him and ship it to his home. At least she said that was what she was going to do. I trust she did because none of it was anything anyone else would have wanted.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 01-11-2014 at 02:23.

I suppose one could ask "can I help you?" in a mild way. If the situation's not truely dangerous, the person will learn on his/her own. Or not.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

If I were struggling, I'd like to be asked: "Are you doing OK?", "Do you need some help?" Maybe followed by "I would be concerned about...(insert obvious, life-threatning lapse here)" Same advice given without the assumtion that I don't know what I'm doing would be more palatable to me; even when I don't know what I'm doing.

$ 0.02

Images

Out on the trail, when is it good form to offer unsolicited advice? When is it good form to offer unwanted advice? Is it only when the advice might save someone from serious jeopardy, or is it also okay when it just might be a little bit helpful?...
    When they start burning their socks with blowtorches, it's okay to speak up.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    When they start burning their socks with blowtorches, it's okay to speak up.
    Definitely!!

Journal Entries

Recognizing that fellow hikers are the support system for one another, it is important that we look out for newbies or people who might be struggling on the trail. How we go about "helping" matters. Maybe expressing our own teachability is a way to begin. Perhaps a conversation that begins with, "Hey, I see you're doing that differently than I've seen before. I'm always open to learning something new..." Then we can listen and gauge whether they are also open to learning.

Speaking for myself, if I'm struggling in some way, I might be reluctant to ask for help, or admit that I'm carrying too much, or that I don't know how to set up my tent or whatever. You can't tell by looking at me how much experience I have, and I can't tell by looking how much experience you have either. There's a little risk involved in asking or accepting help. I don't want to become a burden to a stranger, nor do I want to submit to the "superior wisdom" of someone who might be faster and stronger, but odd, or ill-informed, or whose lessons simply don't apply to the way I hike.

We encountered a solo hiker near Pearisburg in November. We were near the end of our hike, heading south. It had been a chilly damp weekend. This guy had hiked with a friend from PA to Daleville, then caught a ride to Pearisburg with the intention of hiking to Damascus and getting a job (Damascus is dead in the winter!). Problem is, he was walking NOBO. Despite the miles he'd already covered, we questioned his readiness for the trail, observing that he wore a heavy plaid flannel jacket. He was broke, had lost his friend, was ill-equipped for late fall weather in the elevations of SW Virginia, and was "lost." After speaking for a few minutes, we encouraged him to continue north to a nearby shelter where he could reconsider his plans (and hopefully head back to PA). A little further on, we found his sleeping bag lying on the trail. Fortunately he was still within shouting distance. It had working loose from the webbing where he had tucked it on the outside of his pack. We helped him secure it. I don't know how he would keep it dry... We saw no one else on the trail that weekend. I think our intervention was appropriate, welcomed, and necessary. I'm glad we were there for him.

I agree with others....tactful intervention is appropriate and necessary anytime safety is a concern. if you spend enough time on the AT, you will encounter people who are jeopardizing themselves due to inexperience and improper planning. I like to socialize with other hikers that I meet on the AT. with that being said, I am quick to "read" them. if they want solitude, that's ok. I enjoy sharing tips with others in a respectful manner. There is always something to be learned.However, a pet peeve is the gear head who is quick to point out why his titanium, Cuban fiber ultralight multi-function Trekmaster 200 is so much superior to the "crap" that I have in my pack. In summary, sharing tips is enjoyable to me. Boasting about gear is not.

Just north of Monson, Maine back in 2001, I came up behind a hiker who looked like he was struggling with his hip belt. I asked, "Can I give you a hand?" And immediately noticed that he had no hands. Fortunately, he had not lost his sense of humor in the same industrial accident that cost him his hands. He had a dog that slowed him down considerably so we didn't hike together for long. I think of him whenever I'm tempted to offer advice.

My policy is to listen, respectfully, to any unsolicited advice that I recieve (I recieve quite a bit). Then, decide whether I'm going to take said advice. You learn so much from people, and I try to stay open to new ideas. I agree with 4shot about gearheads, though. I've met many who put too much faith in their $$gear and not enough in themselves.

Images

Love this question....

I believe unsolicited advise should be given only if the is imminent danger. Let me define what IS NOT imminent danger. I do not believe the three hikers in the Smokies were in imminent danger, discomfort can be a great learning tool. I often do get asked a lot of questions usually when people see me hiking with my tiny pack. I find that people are more willing to learn when they pull the information vs. push it on them. I guess in the end I'm a big believer in people hiking their own hike and dealing with the consequences that go with it.

Well, I'll take advise from you guys anytime. That's why I read this forum. I am new to backpacking and the AT, having recently discovered it after moving to TN. I've done a few sections and lots of day hikes on local trails, and hope to do more of the AT as I near retirement, and as my adopted sons get older. I am sure you will recognize me...I will be the one that looks like he doesn't know what he's doing...please be kind and feel free to offer advise. Hopefully some day I will be able to return the favor to a new hiker!

Unsolicited advice really shouldn't be given. Backpacking should be a self sufficient activity and it seems presumptuous to tell others what to do if they haven't asked questions or asked for help. I'd say an exception is when children might be at imminent risk due to the poor decisions of their parents.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Images

If someone is in serious jeopardy or danger it is not a question of unsolicited advice its taking action because it is the right thing to do. Otherwise if asked for advice or input and you truly have something to give then give it. You can silently give advice by your actions and how you accomplish certain tasks. When in doubt think back to your school days....no one liked a spring butt. Of course if you were/are the spring butt this observation is lost on you.

Furlough
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L’Amour

Tact is certainly key, and there are ways to convey support without intruding. Mostly I mind my own business unless the other hiker is clearly in trouble or in some way asking for help or tips.

Unsolicited advice, no that's what the internet is for. I've seen people give this type of advice in many cases, not just on the trail, but in the gym, on the bike and countless other endeavors. It's just ugly. I never do, but there are some cases where you must intervene, but I see that not as a case of unsolicited advice, rather as a safety issue; two completely different things. It has to be pretty extreme for me to speak up.

Images

Good question.

I think that, if one is tempted to give advice, it's wise to start with a question to get a feeling for the knowledge of the other person.

Some people don't need the advice you're tempted to give. Everyone who has done much hiking all has stories of being condescended to by people whose knowledge was much shallower than their own. One situation that always amuses me is when I'm nearing the top of my favorite quick exercise hike. (Crowders Mountain when I lived in Charlotte; Avalanche Lake in GNP.) I'll be trucking steadily uphill and the people coming down will smile at me encouragingly and say, "You're almost there, and it's worth it." I could snarl and let them know I've hiked this trail umpteen times before. Or I could smile back and say, "Great!"

Some people will welcome advice when offered. If people are standing there looking at signs and a map, or struggling with gear, "Can I help you?" is not too intrusive. If they want to follow up, it's then a good idea to ask some feeler questions to see at what level you should pitch your answer. "Is this your first visit to the area?" "Have you done much backpacking before?"

People who are engaged in something that is silly, dangerous, or ignorant are a more difficult case. If I'd been coming downhill and encountered the GSMNP Three, I might have tried to engage them in conversation and suggest they turn around and head back to their car. I tend to speak up if I see people doing things like chopping into trees around shelters, putting non-burnable trash in fire pits, offering food to animals in National Parks, etc. They don't want to hear it, but they need to.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

I've got a lot of backpacking experience. I don't mind unsolicited advice. I'm always open for someone showing me a better mousetrap. If I see someone doing something differently or using something I haven't seen before, I'm not shy to ask them about it. I've had a few 'aha' moments on the trail.

I've also given a few unsolicited comments. Particularly if someone is having a problem w/ something... like bear bagging some food. I don't do it too often. But I've never have a bad response when I did.

Great thread. When I see someone obviously struggling or having a problem I'll speak up, usually with something like "Hey man it's a lot easier if...". Or if someone's trying something completely stupid or endangering themselves/us. Basically what everyone else said.
    There's no reward at the end for the most miserable thru-hiker.
    After gear you can do a thru for $2,000.
    No training is a substitute for just going and hiking the AT. You'll get in shape.

When did we become a bunch of sissys? When did it become wrong to offer someone advice? I agree to a certain extent but if someone is offering you assistance/ guidance/ advice and you don't want it ...thank them and say you are fine. That's my opinion

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++