WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: ChinMusic

Default ChinMusic

A couple questions for you.

I'm looking for a water proofing solution for my smart phone. How did the Liquipel work out for you?

And how frequently did you have to use your backup battery to recharge your phone? I'd love to not carry the extra 4ozs.

Thanks in advance.

Liquipel seems to have worked but I never dunked it in water to test. I was still careful but confident the phone was protected.

I used my New Trent nearly every day but I was a heavy user. It was a luxury item for me that was well worth the weight.

As a general note I found the fret over every ounce to be pretty unimportant in the grand scheme of things.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Quote Originally Posted by ki0te View Post
    I'd love to not carry the extra 4ozs.
    Its not an exaggeration to say that the person who cuts the handle off their toothbrush before they start is leaving town in Pennsylvania with a 5 pound rotisserie chicken in their pack. Seriously.

Journal Entries

FWIW I carried a naked (no case) iPhone mainly in my front pocket for most of the 2013 thru. If rain was likely or happening I placed it in a dry sack with a clear (see thru) panel which I also placed the page of the AT guide. Still using that phone today. On the Thru it did get a small chip crack which does not interfere with the viewing area, and for about 24 hours the flash was 'glowing' ever so slightly (I assume water from sweat got into it).

Would I have liked the protection of a waterproof solution such as liquidpell, though from ChinMusic's reply, I perhaps got my phone wetter then his.

As for recharging I would frequently go the first night w/o recharge, perhaps even the second night, then recharge it with a external battery pack while getting ready to sleep and if needed in the AM before breaking camp - and not to 100% - more like 80% at max. This assuming no town stop to do that. I figured, but have not tested that I should be able to go 9 days w/o a 'town' recharge at it's limit with a apx 50,000 mAH external battery. Got thru the 100 mile wilderness with about 50% remaining (50% estimated includes the iPhone + external battery power to recharge that) which confirms that.

Hope that helps

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    Its not an exaggeration to say that the person who cuts the handle off their toothbrush before they start is leaving town in Pennsylvania with a 5 pound rotisserie chicken in their pack. Seriously.
    <Like>
    Last edited by Starchild; 01-11-2014 at 16:00.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    As a general note I found the fret over every ounce to be pretty unimportant in the grand scheme of things.
    Says the man who carried the 20oz LightHeart Cuben Solo Tent.

Sounds like a battery backup would be a good idea.

Thanks all.

Says the man who carried the 20oz LightHeart Cuben Solo Tent.
    Guilty. I'd like to restate. Once I decide on an item I DO in general look for the best/lightest. There are lighter shelter options than the LH Cuben Solo but I would have had to give up something in return.

For my personal wants the New Trent (or its equivalent) is something I would not hike the trail without. Many others can go without one and do just fine.

Weight for me was most important in the beginning of my trip. Later on, not so much. By the time I got to PA my pack weighed less than the body weight I lost. If you bring an item that you find out you do not need, it is easy to mail it home. You do not have to be perfectly dialed-in the moment you take your first step.

Journal Entries

I'm looking for a water proofing solution for my smart phone. How did the Liquipel work out for you?

ziplock too complicated?

Registered User Kaptain Kangaroo's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    ziplock too complicated?
    yep, Ziplocks do the job. I double bag my iPhone when we are kayaking (sea) & put it in the front pocket of my vest. The touch screen still works through the 2 Ziplocks !

Another waterproofing option for your smartphone is the Lifeproof case. This worked well for me on my hike last year. Fortunately I never had to put it to the test, but I liked the assurance that my phone was protected against rocks and water. I had great luck carrying a Soundlogic XT charger and became adept at making the most of the charging life for both my phone and my IPod. As everyone else has said, weight seemed most important in the beginning, but there were certain things I carried such as the charger that were well worth the extra ounces.

Hey Lady Grey... :>) That's fun that you are posting on a "Chin Music" thread... we were all together in Daleville last year!

Chin Music, you and me! :>)

Journal Entries
    Images

Hello to you also Lady Grey! I too use ziplock bags. I hiked three years ago with a guy who used three zip locks; he was careful.
    HighLiner
    2000 Miler

Lady Grey and ChinMusic two of my favorite 2013 TJ people, and big inspirations for my attempt!

Yes a LifeProof case was going to be my first option, but the Verizon salesman talked me into an LG phone, and they don't make a LifeProof case for LG. Ziplocks I'm sure are fine, but I don't want to worry with moisture or klutzy me dropping it in a mud puddle while trying to take a picture.

And it sounds like a battery backup is worth the weight investment so I'll be taking one.

Thanks all

Two ziplocks works fine. My iPhone lasted the entire way am still using it today.

My solution for the phone was:

1: OtterBox to protect from dropping - MUCH needed on the trail IMO. I saw so many broken screens. Mine didn't have a scratch.

2: Liquipel to protect from moisture - LOVE this product. IMO, phones from the companies should come with this. It would not add much to the cost of a phone if done during production.

Sure a Ziplock would work, but Ziplocks can leak. I had my guide pages ruined on several occations. Moisture is not just from rain. Once it gets hot your sweat alone is enough to mess with electronics if you keep your phone in your pocket, like I did.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    My solution for the phone was:

1: OtterBox to protect from dropping - MUCH needed on the trail IMO. I saw so many broken screens. Mine didn't have a scratch.

2: Liquipel to protect from moisture - LOVE this product. IMO, phones from the companies should come with this. It would not add much to the cost of a phone if done during production.

Sure a Ziplock would work, but Ziplocks can leak. I had my guide pages ruined on several occations. Moisture is not just from rain. Once it gets hot your sweat alone is enough to mess with electronics if you keep your phone in your pocket, like I did.

CM come on... are you trying to say that you were 1 hot sweaty mess? I do believe it!

But what about 2 ziplock baggies. I would think that would work... get the name brand extra tough ones.

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMom58 View Post
    [/B]

CM come on... are you trying to say that you were 1 hot sweaty mess? I do believe it!

But what about 2 ziplock baggies. I would think that would work... get the name brand extra tough ones.

The quality of the ziplock bag is defiantly important. Getting the name brand tough ones is what I always did. Kept the phone and portion of the guide in my hip belt pocket and never had any troubles. Even if they do end up leaking which is a rare I would always have extras. If your going to go the ziplock bag route never get the ones with the slider top. The sliding mechanism will just fall off after awhile.

I use and really like the Donkey Label Pack Animal

http://www.donkeylabel.com/products/...Animal-46.aspx

++ New Posts ++