WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by silvereagle
    When does the majority of SOBO's hit the Smokey's. Some people from the local hiking club here in Nashville want to meet up with them at the Newfound Gap area for a few days and give them some serious "trail magic"......anyone have a clue on the time table for that area?
    My 19 y. o. son Sean (real name, trail name) should be in the Smokeys around October 15th. He started July 11th so he might be later than some. He's hard to miss- long hair, kilt, tiny pack. Oh, I guess that describes at least half the guys on the trail! Give him a kick in the rear for me.

Wanderer ( Sean my 19 y.o. son. ) is in Atkins, VA today. He left Katahdin on July 11th. He reports very dry conditions. Water sources are about twenty miles apart. He is seeing very few hikers.

i ran into four groups last week all entering the Shenandoahs....unfortunatly i can't remember any names....sorry...
    Where are you going, Where have you been...???

Quote Originally Posted by Granger
    I am hiking this weekend and if I am near the pack I plan on bringing extra goodies

Thanks,
    Granger
    I was just hiking from the 8th til the 16th of sept and hiked from hot springs to pearisburgin 13 days. I meet half a dozen sobo and tried to help as much as i could with the water situation. The water problem is diffenatly going to be tough as we have not got any rain in quite some time.

Titeloops

Images

I Think We Should All Get Together Sometime To Have One Big Hiker Party!!! They Have A Awsome Group Camp In The Snp Right Off The At It Is Called Camp Dundo I Go Up There Alot And Offer Trail Magic In The Summer Around July I Met Alot Of Thru Hikers There Last Yr And Fed Them So Much Hope They Do The Same For Me In My Thru Hike .i Think Us Hikers Are The Last Of The Good People I Just Thank God We Are A Close Group Of People Helping One Another The World Should Be Filled With More Hikers ....maybe We Can Get Something Rolling For The Summer In Snp I Just Really Started Hiking Big This Yr But Have Found So Much Out About Myself As Well As Others And I Have Not Had One Bad Experience All Of You Are Great...
    TAMBOURINE:banana

Images

Well When I Saw Moondog In Snp Sept 24th He Was Full Of Life ...he Was Comming Up The Trail In His Undie's Lol I Did Not Catch The Other Hikers Name That He Was With But I Fed Them And Talked Awhile Both Were In Very Good Health And Full Of Laughs We Had A Good Time It Was A Pleasure To Meet Both Of You God Speed And You Better Start Walking Faster To Get Home To That New Wife Of Yours Lol Take Care Yall
    TAMBOURINE:banana

Thumbs up

I hiked in Georgia from Amicalola to Dicks Creek Gap last week and ran into several SOBOS: Just Joe, Top Hat or To Phat (I think he was flip flopping), Stumbles and BooBoo and Yogi. Also met another section hiker who met Master Blaster. All of these guys should be finished by now - I met stumbles day before yesturday when I was picking up my car from the Amicalola Visitor Center - he'd just finished!
    Capt' Salty 'Stache
    ME-NY '04
    Tallahassee, FL

Met Bewildered at Fontana Dam yesterday afternoon. He was happy to be at the 2000 mile mark!
    :rolleyes: Scrunchy

Images

Quote Originally Posted by dgodwin7
    I hiked in Georgia from Amicalola to Dicks Creek Gap last week and ran into several SOBOS: Just Joe, Top Hat or To Phat (I think he was flip flopping), Stumbles and BooBoo and Yogi. Also met another section hiker who met Master Blaster. All of these guys should be finished by now - I met stumbles day before yesturday when I was picking up my car from the Amicalola Visitor Center - he'd just finished!
    I met Stumbles last Wednesday night at Neel's Gap. He was to finish Friday. I wonder if he slept any in that time!

Just hike.

http://www.facebook.com/themissjanet Miss Janet's Avatar
    Images

Default Sobos in Erwin

I have had about the first 20 SoBo's. I have 5 today. I would love to know where hikers are north of here so let me know when you see them.

Thanksgiving at Miss JAnet's House is going to be a good one this year!

Images

This is Midnight out and about here in Damascus. I've been in a SOBO pocket for about 2 weeks now. I know there are 6 behind me (Paaga, Running H2O, Dub and Yeti and Stinky Pinky and Sarge). I somehow passed them in the rain leaving Daleville. I hope to be in Erwin in the next week or two and am looking forward to a little R&R at Miss Janets. Nice to get a shout out from Super-T and Don King in the Partnership register. I'll try and contact you guys and Gills and Samoa after I finish and sort through the 2000 plus photos.

Images

Default 3 headed out of Glencliff today

3 flip floppers left out of Glencliff today, all three flipped from harpers ferry and are obviously heading south. According to them there are a couple more floppers behind them that they know of. Getting cold up here. Snowed on Washington and Mt Moosilaukee. Will be heading to Maine tomorrow.
    Blister "Bitchen" Sister

Early this morning on a day hike between Weverton Cliffs and the Ed Garvey Shelter, I met Frog, a SOBO flipflopper. I congratulated him on his last day of hiking. Later in the morning, I saw him at the ATC in Harpers Ferry.

Section Hiker

My ex g/f called me today and said she met a SoBo hiker on Blood Mountain this afternoon. Hopefully she'll recall the guys name so that I can post it here! Hmmm...wonder if he got her phone number?

Section Hiker

Default Sobo

Quote Originally Posted by Drala Hiker
    My ex g/f called me today and said she met a SoBo hiker on Blood Mountain this afternoon. Hopefully she'll recall the guys name so that I can post it here! Hmmm...wonder if he got her phone number?
    Turns out all the ex g/f can remember is that STRONG was part of his name! Ah well, with this fine weather, he'll be at Springer in 2 days.

Wanderer, my 19 y.o. son, called from Fontana Dam yesterday. It was his 100th day on the trail. I hope to meet him on Springer next week. He reported plenty of water in SNP.

Default Triple Crowner Mat "Squeaky" Hazley

Today at 2:00pm, I crossed a hiker who has already hiked the entire PCT and CDT and is headed south across the Kennebec River towards Georgia. The former AT thru-hiker will be hitting the "Whites" sometime around November and he is well worth the bet to finish the triple crown. He carries his own gear unlike the King of Slack (Warren Doyle), has a great attitude and the best of ambition to finish his triple crown close to early January. He hiked the PCT (May 4-July 24), the CDT (July 28-Oct 12) and now starting Oct 14 from Katahdin and crossing the Kennebec River by ferry on October 20, nothing stands in his way to complete the ultimate one-year adventure. This hiker stands tall in a cast of a thousand hikers who I have had the privilege to ferry across the mighty Kennebec River since 1987. (16,700 hikers) I want to express also, my sincerest good will to all southbounders in their quest to hike from Maine to Georgia and may their journey been one filled with joy and accomplishment as they hike from Maine to Georgia. Proud to be part of your Appalachian Journey, Cheers, Steve the ferryman. ps. ":Squeaky" represents the true spirit of adventure in America and the world. God Save The Queen!!

Section Hiker

Default Sobos

Quote Originally Posted by billdnc
    Wanderer, my 19 y.o. son, called from Fontana Dam yesterday. It was his 100th day on the trail. I hope to meet him on Springer next week. He reported plenty of water in SNP.
    I was hiking in the Standing Indian, NC basin today. Ran into Wanderer and Blaze at the Wassilik Big Tree near Standing Indian Campground. They were thinking of trying to camp on Standing Indian Mtn. tonight, though it was late in the afternoon already, and a good 23 miles from SI Mtn. Another guy, whose name I didn't catch, arrived as I was preparing to drive away, sounded like they were rethinking the plan of a night hike to SI. Blaze must make mail pickup in Hiwassee before Noon next Saturday, he said.

Quote Originally Posted by Drala Hiker
    I was hiking in the Standing Indian, NC basin today. Ran into Wanderer and Blaze at the Wassilik Big Tree near Standing Indian Campground. They were thinking of trying to camp on Standing Indian Mtn. tonight, though it was late in the afternoon already, and a good 23 miles from SI Mtn. Another guy, whose name I didn't catch, arrived as I was preparing to drive away, sounded like they were rethinking the plan of a night hike to SI. Blaze must make mail pickup in Hiwassee before Noon next Saturday, he said.
    Thanks for the update. I will be going to Springer on Monday to do the last mile with Wanderer and haul him back home to North Carolina.

Section Hiker

Quote Originally Posted by billdnc
    Thanks for the update. I will be going to Springer on Monday to do the last mile with Wanderer and haul him back home to North Carolina.
    Bill,
    They must be covering great mileage per day, taking advantage of this awesome weather, to reach Springer on Monday, hiking well before sunup until after sundown! Ah, to be young again without the aches and pains of age!

I wondered if finishing an epic hike on homely Springer Mtn. feels anti-climatic?

Go to Dahlonega to find a good meal after the hike (Smith House and Ricks are two). Some places may be closed on Mondays.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++