WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by tiamalle
    there have been a few pass thru Franklin,NC this month
    I am seeing from 3 to 10 each day this week staing at Budget Inn

I feel for any SOBO's on the trail last night. It felt like a hurricane here with the wind and rain last night, and then it changed to snow...and it's cold!!! Brrr...still snowing...
    :rolleyes: Scrunchy

Heald and Annie plus 3 others arrived in Damascus today.

Default Hold onto your micro fleece hats folks!

Last Saturday, I ferried a thru-hiker named Justin "trauma" Lichter from New York, who just happened to hike in from Cap Gaspe, PQ (Province of Quebec). He left Cap Gaspe on Nov. 1 and arrived at the Kennebec River Nov. 19. Now, I have seen an amazing feat or two during my tenure as the AT ferryman since 1987, but to have hiked all the way from the far tip of Gaspe (Forillon NP) on the St Lawrence is just incredible. Justin explained that it was alot of road walks in New Brunswick and Maine that made it possible for him to do 35 to 40 miles everyday with his St Bernard dog, that's with very limited daylight hours to work with and lots of cold, rain and snow. Justin has hiked the AT (2003) and PCT (2005), so he heads smack into the White's trail tested in just a few weeks. So, if you see a hiker working his way to Key West out on the trail, wish him the best and throw a bone to his dog. I have to say that the trio of "Trail Dog" (new record speed hike) from NH, "Squeaky" (Triple Crown of PCT, CDT and AT) from England and now "Trauma" (Cap Gaspe to Key West) from NY has made the year of 2005, the "Year of The Southbounder." Thanks for another great year and the best for the upcoming Holiday Season! Steve Longley

Default Triple Crowner Squeaky (Matt Hazley)

Just spoke to Squeaky and he is going through Duncanon at the minute, just stopping there to buy a tent to have shelter as he pushes on the miles and heads to Springer by Christmas.
    Go Squeaky Go, your whole family is behind you.

http://www.facebook.com/themissjanet Miss Janet's Avatar
    Images

Default Wow!

So I guess I will have to go out to the trailhead and trip him up if I want to see him this year!

Images

Default Bad Cheese and Stale Crackers

Anyone following SOBOs Bad Cheese and Stale Crackers' journey might like to know we met them on the trail today in NC. Smokestack and I met them in a freezing rainstorm about 3 miles from Cold Spring Shelter just outside Tellico Gap. It was a little too bitter to stop and chat too long as ice was forming on our gear as we stood and talked. They are in good spirits and looking forward to finishing soon.

Mother Nature
    Sue Buak

Section Hiker

Default SOBOs at Woody Gap

Passing through Woody Gap yesterday on the way to a hike, gave a ride to Topper and 2 others, one was female. Two guys remained with the gear, one had a mandolin. They did say they were stung by the wintery weather a few times, but were looking forward to hitting Springer today in good weather (later I heard snowflurries are possible Sunday night). They planned on staying at Hawk Mtn. shelter Sat. night. Went into Suches to buy food for a big feast at Springer. Two in my Outback started near the end of June, one guy started the first week of July. Sorry I forgot their names. They all seemed to be doing well.

http://www.facebook.com/themissjanet Miss Janet's Avatar
    Images

Default SoBo's in Erwin

Right now I have Squeamish and Cecil and expecting Bricks today. Each group now believes themselves to be the Last SoBo's... Does anyone know who else... besides Squeaky!!... is still headed south??

Images

I was at the outfitter at Neels Gap Walasi Yi today Spoke to one of the guys there he said they have seen about 30 SOBO make it this far as of today
    Last edited by Waterbuffalo; 12-12-2005 at 21:05.
    "Sometimes you have to make a clean break from the past to make a new beginning"

As a correction to Ferryman's post, Trauma and Yoni hiked the AT in 2003, the PCT in 2004 and CDT in 2005. They are now attempting to hike 10,000 miles for late 2005/2006. His web page is http://www.granitegear.com/trauma/index.html. Yoni is quite possibly the first Triple Crown dog.

Section Hiker

Quote Originally Posted by Waterbuffalo
    I was at the outfitter at Neels Gap Walasi Yi today Spoke to one of the guys there he said they have seen about 30 SOBO make it this far as of today
    No wonder the SOBOs I gave a ride at Woody Gap said they weren't even close to the last. I'll be up there again next Saturday - gotta escape the crazy holiday shopper traffic - and keep an eye out for SOBOs needing a ride. This time I'll take along some trail magic, forgot to last weekend. Certainly they'll all want to finish before Christmas - or maybe ON Christmas!

Quote Originally Posted by Drala Hiker
    Passing through Woody Gap yesterday on the way to a hike, gave a ride to Topper and 2 others, one was female. Two guys remained with the gear, one had a mandolin. They did say they were stung by the wintery weather a few times, but were looking forward to hitting Springer today in good weather (later I heard snowflurries are possible Sunday night). They planned on staying at Hawk Mtn. shelter Sat. night. Went into Suches to buy food for a big feast at Springer. Two in my Outback started near the end of June, one guy started the first week of July. Sorry I forgot their names. They all seemed to be doing well.
    Hey that was me! I assume you misheard Frogger as Topper. Bouie is the one with the mandolin, Barrel Roll stayed behind with him. The other guy in the ride was Heehaw, and the lady was Goldfish. Collectively we (along with some others who were not present that day) are the sobohobos - www.sobohobos.com
    The feast of chili dogs, tacos, and smores went swimmingly, though we didn't make it as far as Hawk Mountain. We summited the day after that, and now most of us are back home.
    Thanks so much for the ride! The guy who drove us back the 1.9 miles to the trail wanted $15 for doing so :-/

Here's our group summit photo - left to right: Foot Walker, Goldfish, Frogger, Barrel Roll, Bumfoot, Heehaw, Harvest Moon, Pokey, Firefly, Steiner, Bad Cheese, Stale Crackers.

Quote Originally Posted by tiamalle
    I am seeing from 3 to 10 each day this week staing at Budget Inn
    This man runs a great mostel. That's right, a mostel. Is it a motel? Is it a hostel? We'll never know! Thanks for the 2 internet ready machines, the cheap rooms, and the free shuttles. We really appreciate it!

There,s one in Franklin tonight saying there are a few behind him.

Saw POPS last Sunday at Cosby Knob Shelter where we stopped for lunch. He was SOBO...started August 12th. Anyone know him?
    :rolleyes: Scrunchy

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++