WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Research for AT article

Need some help from AT thru-hikers: I am working with the staff of ATC's Journeys magazine on an article about the growing numbers of thru-hikers using "alternate" strategies for hiking the AT in 12 months. Flip-flops, Leap-frogs and of course the choice of Nobo or Sobo have been around for years. But, largely on anecdotal evidence, various trail advocacy groups and the National Park Service are reporting a jump in creative strategies for thru-hiking. Some are based on weather patterns, wildflower blooms, bug avoidance, resupply issues, avoiding crowds in various sections, hiking stretches with hiking buddies, Autumn color chasing . . . and what else? ATC would like your thoughts and stories about alternate ways of thru-hiking. Please contact me, the writer, Mike "McIntyre" Johnson [email protected] -- and thanks in advance.

Is the ATC promoting and encouraging the idea of "alternate strategies" for Thru hiking the AT?

Journal Entries
    Images

From ATC's webpage: "The ATC encourages these alternative hikes as a way to even out the flow of hikers and minimize resource damage to the Trail."

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

Images

ATC has been promoting alternate itineraries for years. I kind of like "Cool Breeze's" double leapfrog itinerary personally.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    ATC has been promoting alternate itineraries for years. I kind of like "Cool Breeze's" double leapfrog itinerary personally.
    I like that one too. Sort of the best of everything.

A "true", "no kidding" thru-hike starts at in Georgia in Spring, follows the crest of the Appalachians through the warmth of Summer to New England in the colorful Fall and ends with the drama of a mountain in Maine. Everything else is section hiking. This is the epic thru-hike of legend, this is the one that was passed down to us by those who have gone before. The "giants" written about in books made this hike. Davy Crockett and Daniel Boone and Grandma Gatewood would not have done a "flip-flop". That term even sounds weak. Don't believe me? Go to Georgia in late March early April and ask every thru-hiker if they don't agree with I just said. Does it make any sense? No, it does not. Is it faulty thinking? Yes it is. This is what you are up against. To change this tradition, this way of thinking, will take some doing. Recent attempts to to get people to "hike a different hike", have focused on pointing out all the bad things associated with overcrowding, and the problems of the dreaded "bubble". Be afraid of the bubble! wooo, no shelter space, walk in poop, catch the dreaded norovirus, ruin the environment. The "pointing out of the bad things" in the various "trail publications" and social media has had an effect on some hikers. It makes them want to start the Thru-hike in January to avoid the crowds. Even though the intention was not for them to start early, that is the behavior that resulted. This is the danger of writing about the negative aspects of a traditional start. To focus in on the good it will do, is the way to go. To build a flip-flop tradition and change the current mindset will take at least one popular hero and at least one major motion picture.(is Brad Pitt available?). We also need to come up with a better name for it. Flip-flop and alternate thru-hikes won't do. I hiked the "Great Circle Route" of the Appalachian Trail. Perhaps a reality TV show like Survivor or Amazing Race where we follow the trials and tribulations of teams of competing hikers who will set a new tradition of starting at different places along the trail, the New York to New York team. I was foolishly hoping that the problem of trail overcrowding would be solved by building much bigger and better trail facilities especially in the South and the Whites. I guess that convincing people to flip-flop would be cheaper.

Anyone have suggestions for an alternate name for alternate "thru" hikes? The naming of things is curiously important. Consider the jogging boom of the last 40 years and the inspirational role of an odd distance called "the marathon."

How about, I did the Earl Shaffer Challenge Hike. Thru-Hiker is a poor term anyway. It is little understood and easily confused even by us. Last year the US Forest Service was having a bear problem near Wautuga Lake and issued a notice that forbade hiking and camping in a small area. They wanted to allow AT hikers to be able to transit the area so they said, unknowingly, that it was open to thru-hikers. The ATC and others used the term thru-hiker in it's warning. The Forest service's wanted the trail open to all hikers transiting this section of the AT, not just thru-hikers. In the confusion some people altered there plans.

Images

The "New York Thruway" doesn't do flipflops; you go from one place to another. You don't walk; "alternatively" through a door; you go from one side directly to the other. You don't "hopscotch" through a town; you go from one side to another. While I like to tell myself that I only "suspended" my thru hike in '00, I would never have the stones to try to tell someone that when (and it's gonna happen, peeps!) I get to Katahdin I did a "thru hike using alternative strategies". The laughter would go on for decades.

Through is "through," no matter how much someone tries to use weasel words to up their status to act like they're "real" thru hikers. And trust me, The Weasel knows when he sees weasel words.

The Weasel
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

The traditional definition of a thru hike is starting at one terminus and hiking pretty much continuously to the other terminus.

I agree that another word should be used to describe all of these jumping around alternative hikes. When someone says they did a "thru hike" the only question that needs to be asked is "north or south?"

Images

Doesn't ATC call everyone who has hiked past every white blaze in whatever order or timeframe, 2000 Milers, without any further distinction?
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Just as an aside, one hiker on another site recently said he was engaged in a MYTH . . . a multi-year thru hike. But, as everyone has noted, this issue around terms does make a difference. What about simply a "2000"? Has some wonderful history. How about a "12 month"? A "complete"? Thanks very much for any help on this, btw, it's a bit of a puzzle. Cheers . . . McIntyre.

Son Driven
    Journal Entries

It would not be a bad ideal for a novice hiker attempting a through hike to start NOBO in Waynesboro in mid April. (1) You are ahead of the main body of North bounders, not needing to compete for shelter space & campsites. (2) Starting in April and North of the Smoky's makes your pack lighter, because you will not need winter gear like March starting at Springer. (3) You are developing your trail legs on an easier track, yet far enough south of the Whites where you need to have your trail legs. (4)Making use of the burgers and shakes, at the Waysides, allows you to carry less food, making your pack even lighter early in your hike. (5) Your window for completion, grows by several weeks, since getting to Baxter Park before it closes, is no longer a factor. (6) Going South bound in the Smoky's during the peak of the seasonal change would be pleasant.

I know that AT purist, believe that the only true through hike is a Springer to Katahdin, unsupported, no slack packing, no trail magic. In an order to pacify the purist, (or add what ever requirement) another label could be used to define alternate types of hikes. However, isn't that what the proponents for traditional marriage want.
    A separate definition, for same sex relationships. Sorry to bring a hotly contested political issue into the discussion, However it was the best way I could make a point.

The AT will be a healthier place when steps to stretch out the bubble are taken. As the number of hikers increase, vegetation is lost as camp sites get expanded, Privy's become unmanageable, and environment for hiker born illness is created.

03/07/13 - 10/07/13 Flip flop AT thru hike "It is well with my soul"

Quote Originally Posted by Son Driven View Post
    It would not be a bad ideal for a novice hiker attempting a through hike to start NOBO in Waynesboro in mid April.
    I would argue that a novice hiker would be best served by starting at Springer in April where they can learn from others and find a compatible hiking partner. And reaching Mountain Crossings on day 3 is a great opportunity for a novice hiker to add gear, swap gear, or mail home gear as needed.

Images

I worry a bit about the need for recognition and distinction and status regarding hiking. It's not a competition, it's not verifiable, nor are there any awards. It's recreation - "To walk, to see, to see what you see."
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

I think a neat way to do a "Thru-Hike" would be to start in Georgia in early April and hike north until you hit summer weather (heat, humidity, bugs, more tourists, day trippers, etc.) probably around the beginning of June. Then jump up to New England and continue north to Katahdin. After that go back down to CT and hike south from there to where ever you got off in late spring. This avoids the cloying heat and humidity through northern VA and the mid atlantic states and avoids some of the bugs. No matter where you are on the AT you will get bugs in the summer. It allows you to meet all the other hikers starting down south in early spring and avoids the cold weather that comes to NH and ME in early fall. I don't have a specific term for this hike. I feel this gives you the best of the social aspect and the solo in the wilderness aspect. You experience the early bubble when most people want to be with others and then jump ahead of the bubble for the rest of your trip.
    Mobilis in Mobili

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    I worry a bit about the need for recognition and distinction and status regarding hiking. It's not a competition, it's not verifiable, nor are there any awards. It's recreation - "To walk, to see, to see what you see."
    Your right on target! The journey is the destination I seek, to where from where to here and there are just the variables in a trail equation that one must figure for one's self.

Son Driven
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by moldy View Post
    A "true", "no kidding" thru-hike starts at in Georgia in Spring, follows the crest of the Appalachians through the warmth of Summer to New England in the colorful Fall and ends with the drama of a mountain in Maine. Everything else is section hiking. This is the epic thru-hike of legend, this is the one that was passed down to us by those who have gone before. The "giants" written about in books made this hike. Davy Crockett and Daniel Boone and Grandma Gatewood would not have done a "flip-flop". That term even sounds weak. Don't believe me? Go to Georgia in late March early April and ask every thru-hiker if they don't agree with I just said. Does it make any sense? No, it does not. Is it faulty thinking? Yes it is. This is what you are up against. To change this tradition, this way of thinking, will take some doing. Recent attempts to to get people to "hike a different hike", have focused on pointing out all the bad things associated with overcrowding, and the problems of the dreaded "bubble". Be afraid of the bubble! wooo, no shelter space, walk in poop, catch the dreaded norovirus, ruin the environment. The "pointing out of the bad things" in the various "trail publications" and social media has had an effect on some hikers. It makes them want to start the Thru-hike in January to avoid the crowds. Even though the intention was not for them to start early, that is the behavior that resulted. This is the danger of writing about the negative aspects of a traditional start. To focus in on the good it will do, is the way to go. To build a flip-flop tradition and change the current mindset will take at least one popular hero and at least one major motion picture.(is Brad Pitt available?). We also need to come up with a better name for it. Flip-flop and alternate thru-hikes won't do. I hiked the "Great Circle Route" of the Appalachian Trail. Perhaps a reality TV show like Survivor or Amazing Race where we follow the trials and tribulations of teams of competing hikers who will set a new tradition of starting at different places along the trail, the New York to New York team. I was foolishly hoping that the problem of trail overcrowding would be solved by building much bigger and better trail facilities especially in the South and the Whites. I guess that convincing people to flip-flop would be cheaper.
    My flip flop hike was awesome, going through the 100 mile wilderness in July, where I was virtually alone. I could take leisurely baths in the ponds without interruption. I was so leisurely in the 100 mile wilderness I ended up hiking into Monson with a depleted food bag. And if I was to do the AT again I would do it exactly like I described, with a mid April start at Waynesboro, and a Springer finish in October. However, my hike is more of a spiritual exercise. I enjoy, having extended periods of solitude. Their are a number of hikers who draw energy from the bubble, and enjoy being a part of it. My concern is that we could reach a point where we damage the environmental integrity of the trail, just so we can say we hiked the AT the "true" way. It is in the interest of the future of the trail to encourage, not discourage alternative hikes. In the end the AT hiker who hikes the entire trail, accomplished the same feat as one who did it from south to north, or north to south. They hiked the very same ground and passed by all the same blazes.

Quote Originally Posted by Son Driven View Post
    In the end the AT hiker who hikes the entire trail, accomplished the same feat as one who did it from south to north, or north to south.
    The alternative hikes exist as people are looking for ways to make the hike easier. This way avoids the summer heat, that way avoids the coldest weather, this way lets you get your trail legs on the easiest section first, etc etc etc.

Son Driven
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    The alternative hikes exist as people are looking for ways to make the hike easier. This way avoids the summer heat, that way avoids the coldest weather, this way lets you get your trail legs on the easiest section first, etc etc etc.
    Perhaps you are correct, and by the high rate of hikes that become casualties, perhaps more hikers should be looking at their hike from a perspective of what will provide me with the best chance of success.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++