Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Tips on how to Avoid Creepy Men!

Hey Gals...

I just saw this! I had to share. Gotta love the humor in it & the really good practical advice too.

I like what she said at the end... "Hiker guys are rather chivalrous, and they tend to look out for the girls on the trail."

- See more at: http://blog.appalachiantrials.com/ho....edsMBQB4.dpuf

Images

Maybe it's my age, but I have absolutely no problem telling people to bugger off. I also make sure everyone knows who the creep is - scumbags need to be outed - This doesn't pertain to just hiking - I have met lecherous men everywhere from starbucks, to religious institutions to the trail - their behavior is wrong and unacceptable. It is wrong for a victim to just meekly try to hide and ignore the problem, the person will strike the next available victim he or she comes across - It's your duty to 'out' this person to see that the behavior is not allowed to continue.
    I was at starbucks one day and some old lecherous guy was hitting on this cute young thing behind the counter, he left, then came back to flirt - she was so embarrassed and didn't know what to do - I gave the guy a piece of my mine - he's never been back.

Images

You should always maintain awareness of your surroundings, on the trail it's pretty easy to know who is in front of you and who is behind. find a safe group to hang with if someone is bothering you, and let them know what's going on. Hikers are very good at protecting their own, and yes, creeps of all kinds show up occasionally . Do not let the ruin the trail for you

Two thoughts:

1. This info is useful for everyone, not just females. 'Being nice' is a common behavior in normal life, on the trail it can lead to unwanted expectations. I've learned to become more reserved, and perhaps rude, on the trail to cut short interactions that I don't want to extend any longer.

2. Keep in mind ladies; some 'creeps' just suck at talking to girls. I've got a friend who is a lifelong creeper, but he really can't help it. Somewhere his idea of chivalry just comes off all wrong. I guess that's not your problem to deal with, but it bears mentioning... Not all creepers know they're creeping.

Section Hiker

This is fantastic, thanks for sharing!

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

Please don't avoid us. We only want to touch your hair. Where are the puppies George?

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

A young man (spoiled brat in his 20s) and I were having a "discussion" of his behavior (dog theft) the previous hiking year. He and his unwitting bride had come upon me as I was gathering water at a spring in Tennessee. He was becoming more aggitated as I continued to confront him. (It was my dog.) My antenna was beginning to warn me that he might become violent. Then I looked up and saw a couple coming whom I knew from shelters before then. I walked over to them and asked if they would mind remaining there with me until he moved along. They were quite willing, especially since they had an unpleasant episode with him earlier that morning. In a few minutes with no way for him to lie successfully (as he did to the police the previous year), the young man and his bride hiked on. LESSON: 1. Try not to become a part of a spirited argument out in the middle of nowhere with the only witness present being attached to the other party to the argument. (Especially, I might add, if you already know his propensity for lying even to the authorities.) 2. Remember to make friends as you go along the trail. That mutual respect might come in handy at a bad moment in the middle of "nowhere."
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

-

Quote Originally Posted by Gervais View Post
    Please don't avoid us. We only want to touch your hair. Where are the puppies George?
    it's the rabbits, not the puppies - Lenny

I'm a 60 yr old man and I don't like creepy men either!

I'm a creepy man, and I think those were all good suggestions.
    Would anyone like a honey bun?

On the AT this year, there was one 'creepy guy' who got everyone's attention: Navigator. I encountered him in VA. In passing conversation, he had said that this was his third year in a row that he was attempting a thru-hike. Was a bit evasive about why he was unable to finish. Somewhere around Atkins or Pearisburg, he started hitting the sauce pretty hard (1 gal of wine in a sitting in Pearisburg). He started hitting on women & making them feel VERY uncomfortable. He tried picking fights with other hikers (police were called on him twice in Glasgow; I missed him by one day there). There were Police BOLOs (Be On LookOut) posted up & down the trail in hostels. I was asked by one trail angel in VT about him. Police were physically looking for him in NH @ the Welcome Hiker Hostel.

From the BOLO I read, there were no warrants issued for him at that time. Just a warning to watch out for him and to use caution when dealing with him as he had prior history for violence directed toward the police.

Ha Ha!! Some of these comments are really funny! :P I like what everyone said... good thoughts!

The honey bun thing is really funny! The author of this blog hiked the trail this past year so that was coming from her own experiences.

CarlZ993... ur post is the hardest one to deal with in, IMHO, as a woman (or man) on the trail. Nothing can be done about these guys/gals until they harm themselves or someone else.

I love Heartfires second comment. We can't let these people keep us from the trail or ruin the trail for us.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    it's the rabbits, not the puppies - Lenny
    That's the best post I've read in awhile especially considering your WB user name.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartFire View Post
    ...I was at starbucks one day and some old lecherous guy was hitting on this cute young thing behind the counter, he left, then came back to flirt - she was so embarrassed and didn't know what to do - I gave the guy a piece of my mine - he's never been back.
    Uh oh, what Starbucks, when did this happen, and what did the guy look like?

We're not sure of the context in which those situations occurred she speaks about but seriously, some females seem immature quickly assuming things said or done by males are sexual advances when sometimes they are genuine innocent friendly positive comments/actions. Not all those situations she speaks about are always motivated by sexual advances towards her. Good example is her Honey Bun story. Seems like she was exaggerating things about a male giving her anything likening it to a guy buying her a drink in a bar. Maybe, she should get over yourself.

Wear what you want but it might be a good idea to have some prudence in doing so FOR BOTH GENDERS to avoid possible uncomfortable situations or potential advances. I know I would if I was hiking in a kilt w/ nothing on underneath or short running shorts when I sit down around others as a male out of respect for everyone. I think females can do the same w/ their hiking apparel choices and the way they behave at least to some degree. BTW, I sometimes hike in tights and have females acting forward(staring, offering come ons, asking blatantly forward questions, even touching, etc) which If I was a female and it was males doing that it could easily be defined as acting creepy. Males generally accept that though; sometimes are even proud about it. I rarely let it bother me. I do like that others, men and women, might make comments to me about fitness or being in good shape. And those I believe are largely innocently motivated. You know when things cross a line though and it becomes NOT innocent or NOT genuine anymore and are sexually motivated or sexist

Images

you guys should take note of her part 2

http://appalachiantrailgirl.com/2014...-on-the-trail/

Images

There is some good advice in the posts above, and the original blog. I think everyone adjusts based on their own personality, but I follow some of my own basics.

I don't split rooms unless I know someone very well, regardless of the trail culture. I've not split many rooms.
    I almost always say hi, but am initially very reserved when meeting people on the trail.
    There have been a couple of wary encounters at shelters. I left the shelter first, and then left the trail until they passed and then I continued on my way. In most cases, I did not seem them again.
    I usually camp and don't stay at shelters. This has always minimized any problems for me.
    I appear as self-confident as I can, which seems to dissuade a lot of the "creeps."

A note on the sharing or accepting of food from other hikers. I've never had a guy display expectations after giving me food, or seen this occur. I really don't think this is a common problem, but then again, I don't typically stay over night at shelters.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by CarlZ993 View Post
    On the AT this year, there was one 'creepy guy' who got everyone's attention: Navigator. I encountered him in VA. In passing conversation, he had said that this was his third year in a row that he was attempting a thru-hike. Was a bit evasive about why he was unable to finish. Somewhere around Atkins or Pearisburg, he started hitting the sauce pretty hard (1 gal of wine in a sitting in Pearisburg). He started hitting on women & making them feel VERY uncomfortable. He tried picking fights with other hikers (police were called on him twice in Glasgow; I missed him by one day there). There were Police BOLOs (Be On LookOut) posted up & down the trail in hostels. I was asked by one trail angel in VT about him. Police were physically looking for him in NH @ the Welcome Hiker Hostel.

From the BOLO I read, there were no warrants issued for him at that time. Just a warning to watch out for him and to use caution when dealing with him as he had prior history for violence directed toward the police.
    There's a difference between just being creepy and making women uncomfortable...and this guy. This guy, while obviously creepy, was an actual threat and women ignoring him probably will never succeed in changing his approach.

Just general creepiness is what I think this post is about. I never hesitate to pull a guy aside (not in front of the woman), and tell him that he is coming off as a creeper. No man should let that behavior by another man go unanswered. Just don't embarrass him in front of his "victim". That may make matters worse.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

Hey guys,

Megan/ Hashbrown, the writer in question here. Thanks for reading my article and showing your support. I'm glad I can provide both entertainment and advice.

Let me know if you guys have any topics you would like to hear more about!

Haha,

I just have to share this video.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...nny-video.html

Hi Hashbrown/Megan. After reading Part 2 that Robin linked to I gotcha. Absolutely right!

I would never act that way. What are you doing Friday night? Only kidding. Only kidding!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++