WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Storage spot for "grazing" food

When I hike I never eat while I'm walking because my bag has no pockets on the outside to store snacks, and it's too much of a pain to go searching though my bag for food all the time. Sometimes I even skip meals because I can't be bothered.
    Does anyone know any good way to keep my snacks accessible?

Quote Originally Posted by Timinator View Post
    Does anyone know any good way to keep my snacks accessible?
    The following was one of my favorite pieces of gear on my '13 thru:

http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/backpack_lid.shtml

Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Not bad at only 2.9 oz.

Journal Entries

LOL I love it. This is said just for fun so don't take it personal, but I did grow up on a very small Virginia farm and it reminds me of a horse and a feedbag full of grains. But it's a great idea. I just wouldn't want it right under my chin. How about a smaller bag attached to either side of the backpack's hip belt?

Gossamer Gear Hip Belt Pockets - get the large cuz even the large isn't that big. I got 2 of them one for each side. Holds all my miscellaneous stuff, whistle, fine point tweezers, snacks for the day etc.

That Zpacks chest bag is nice, but it looks like it could be hot in summer months. Most of my packs have hip belt pockets. The one that doesn't (GG Murmur) slips so easily off my shoulders it's like no efforts to remove to retrieve a snack from the back mesh pocket.

Ribz pack
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I ain't totin that!

ULA packs have lil d rings on shoulder straps...smart water bottle 1l on one side and wide mouth Gatorade bottle on other side filled w gorp. Small metton hooks from z packs work perfect. Attach hook w zip tie to bottle neck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

The Gossamer pockets are great. I use a couple of those. I also always hike in longer shorts with deep pockets, and just keep bars in the pockets if I don't have the pockets on the pack.

I added the ZPacks belt pouches to my belt and use one of them for grazing: http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/beltpouch.shtml

Journal Entries

Each morning I took out my estimated snacks and lunch and second breakfast, and second lunch (yes thru hikers get very hungry), and stored it in the easiest place in my pack to access - the brain (the top most section which had a zipper opening). I even learned to access that food while hiking/not removing my pack.

I use one of the medium size Gossamer Gear hip belt pockets (0.85 oz). I load it up every morning with a Snickers bar and a zip-loc bag filled with nuts, M&M's and raisins.

The ULA hip belt pockets work well for grazing. For packs without pockets, I believe that zPacks and others have accessories that can be added to most any hip belt. For me the key is to have snacks available without having to take off my pack.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeBager View Post
    I added the ZPacks belt pouches to my belt and use one of them for grazing: http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/beltpouch.shtml
    I also use them for my snacks and small handy items like Chapstick.
    Follow My Hiking Adventures: http://www.youtube.com/SaraDhooma
    Or if you just like photos: http://instagram.com/scifi_sara

If your pack doesn't meet your needs then its time to get a new pack. Seriously,

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    That Zpacks chest bag is nice, but it looks like it could be hot in summer months.
    As you know, 2013 had a tremendous stretch of heat/humidity. I HATE heat and humidity. It kills me. I found the front pack to add no level of discomfort during the hot period.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Journal Entries

I carry a fanny pack as part of my gear. I put trail guides, snacks, camera, ipod, batteries, steropen, etc....Everything is acessable as I need it. And it never leaves my side even when I'm at a shelter.

I keep my snacks in a separate snack bag. This bag gets the days snacks in it similar to how Starchild mentioned. I put my lunch for the day at the top of my food bag and my food bag sits second from the top in my main pack compartment under my jacket or vest. Cooler days for most breaks I will put on the jacket or vest to avoid cooling down, so if I happen to need something out of the food bag, it is right there anyway. The snack pack goes into my top lid where it is easily accessible. I'm a big fan on the top lid as I keep other items I want quickly in there.

A hip pouch is an easy add on, I have done this on my older packs. It's not really necessary to swap out your pack if this will customize it for your needs. I sometimes keep a single snack in there for on the go but I usually take a break to eat. I use the hip pouch for hats, camera, gloves. Items may get a little wet in there though depending on the material, on some packs these are just mesh so be aware of that if this is a feature you might want on a future pack. Pack covers don't usually cover it well and the hip pouch touches the ground when put down.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by Airman View Post
    I carry a fanny pack as part of my gear. I put trail guides, snacks, camera, ipod, batteries, steropen, etc....Everything is acessable as I need it. And it never leaves my side even when I'm at a shelter.
    I used to bring one but I was never comfortable with the fanny pack belt and my help belt. There's an extra weight penalty on the belt too, it's small but significant for some. They are handy in camp though, keeps stuff from getting put down in out of the way places. Trail clothes don't always have pockets, some layers do, some don't. They are helpful car camping as well.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++