WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Bog Balls View Post
    Should have put a bit more description on previous post. There are 2 attachment points on the left of the grabbag that go low on your pack's right shoulder strap (down near hip belt area). The right hand strap/buckle on the grabbag goes across your body and attaches to your pack's left shoulder strap. It rides as low on your hip as you'd like. Pretty good setup.

After using a pack for a while, I just add what I need to it. I've sewn pockets on, added daisy chains with the extra webbing. You can permanently attach a pocket or use Velcro and a clip to make it removable. I just noticed my new cell phone will not fit in my hip pocket so I'll be adding a pocket to my pack.

Quote Originally Posted by Timinator View Post
    When I hike I never eat while I'm walking because my bag has no pockets on the outside to store snacks, and it's too much of a pain to go searching though my bag for food all the time. Sometimes I even skip meals because I can't be bothered.
    Does anyone know any good way to keep my snacks accessible?
    Several possible solutions listed. Another possibility is to slide a water bottle carrier over your hip belt. Put your snacks in that. I used a Jandd water bottle carrier (2) on my hike. On the few times I slacked-packed, I used one for my water bottle and the other for my snacks. Both were looped over the pants belt. Rain jacket wrapped around my waist. http://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FBOTB

If you can spare the extra $$, I'd second the notion about getting a pack that fits your thru-hiking needs (assuming this is what you're going to be doing). I put all my days' snacks in a 2-L Sea to Summit Silnylon Dry bag. I placed this bag in the right water bottle pocket of my ULA Circuit backpack. I'd reach back, grab the bag, grab something to eat, and put in back in the pocket. This system worked for me 99% of the time. I once failed to properly shove it back in the pocket & it fell out. A fellow thru-hiker recognized my food bag & picked it up for me.

I just use the pockets of my hiking pants. Additional weight = zero.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

I wonder if a Maxpedition dump pouch would work? You can roll it up when you are not using it. I know people use them on tactical gear. Maybe it would work to hold a meal or snacks while hiking. http://www.qmuniforms.com/maxpeditio...FYw1QgodJn0AwA
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post
    24 responses before someone said pants pockets...I was beginning to think I was hiking wrong :-)

Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post
    Body temp melts my Snickers. I hate that when it happens.

Images

I try to keep things really simple.
    All food goes in the food bag.
    The food bag rides on top.
    If I want to snack, it takes about 30 seconds to
    get the pack off and reach in the food bag.
    Keeping food (or anything) in all sorts of different
    pockets makes me tend to loose track of things.
    If it's food, it's in the food bag.

Colin Fletcher was a proponent of the "Office on the Yoke", or a big pocket on the shoulder strap. He'd carry a notebook, pencil, map, glasses, matches, candy and other items in that pocket. After I read his book almost 40 years ago I made my own Office on the Yoke by sewing velcro to an old army surplus first aid pouch. I continue to look for something better.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++