WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Darn Tough Socks

A lot of people here (including myself) have praised Darn Tough Socks. For the first time I got to take advantage of their unconditional lifetime guarantee. A few weeks ago, my first pair (merino wool, micro crew, cushion, hikers) developed a hole in the bottom of the heel. I filled out the form from their web site, mailed them in, and got my replacement pair yesterday.

These go with my other two pairs of non-cushion socks. I figured I should have a second pair for hiking, so I bought a pair of the special ATC edition micro crew merino wool cushion socks. They are on sale at Socks Addict and I got an extra 10% off with the promotion code TP1406, plus free shipping.

I started wearing these socks a couple of years ago and found that I don't get blisters near as much using thinner, non-cushioned socks.

It is great to hear that they stand behind their guarantee.

I really do love the Darn Tough socks. They are indeed the toughest socks I have ever had the pleasure of wearing.

But over time they will indeed wear out. Everything does.

I take pleasure supporting a company that is crafting a superior product and crafting it locally - right in Vermont. So when my Darn Tough socks wear out I will take great pleasure in sending them another $17 to $20 for a new pair knowing that I am supporting a good company.

My philosophy of clothing is to have few items but items of high quality that will last a while. And then I can afford to replace those items when they do eventually wear out. With my purchasing dollar I vote for companies that support that ideology.
    Merry 2012 AT blog
    "Not all those who wander are lost."

I am a convert to Darn Tough socks after being a solid user of Smartwool for years. I was sceptical that another brand could improve on Smartwool. Darn Toughs blow Smartwool away in the number of miles you can get out of em. Both brands of sock were kind to my feet.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

I thought Darn Tough would be good - HOWEVER: for some reason, I've had 3 single socks either melt in the washer or evaporate in the dryer. That's right: I now have 3 single, unmatched socks. I'll bet the warranty doesn't cover THAT !!

Seriously, I really like them. I have 3 pair put away for 2016 and I've been wearing the remaining ones for work almost every day. I have several tan and I'm ordering a couple or three more pair of dark grey or black.

They've beat my old Thorlos completely. Thorlos wore out at the heals and toes. I've yet to have a problem with the Darn Tough.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

My brother is an electrician and on his feet all the time, he would blow through regular socks in a few weeks, he gets several months on the military grade Darn Tuffs. I have yet to wear out a pair.

Despite the presidents claim that they will even replace a sock that the dog chewed a hole in, if it fails due to my abuse, I buy a new pair, if they fail due to unreasonable wear then I might use their guarantee. Meanwhile I have enough of them in a bag from their factory sale that its going to be a few years before I even need to buy socks. The sock they make for the military have a bit higher synthetic blend and they seem to last even longer. They make a super heavy grade sock that I looks like its ECWS gear which work great for winter hiking.

I recently got rid of many of my more beat up smart wools as I don't think they will ever get used again.

a year ago I went crazy and bought 4 pairs of the midweight (green ones) and 4 pairs of the heavier weight black ones. Only one pair shows any wear. But i do try to tell people that I may have spent 100 bucks on socks but they will outlast X amount of pairs of cheaper socks and definitely save me money in the long run while wearing quality socks. good stuff.

I've mentioned in previous posts that I get about 1,000 miles out of Darn Tough socks. They actually wear out along my Achilles tendon area on my right foot. Must be how I walk. Anyway, I would never consider returning them for the guarantee.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    I am a convert to Darn Tough socks after being a solid user of Smartwool for years. I was sceptical that another brand could improve on Smartwool. Darn Toughs blow Smartwool away in the number of miles you can get out of em. Both brands of sock were kind to my feet.
    What the guy with the beard said.

Images

It feels good supporting a "made in the USA" product.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Images

Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post
    I've mentioned in previous posts that I get about 1,000 miles out of Darn Tough socks. They actually wear out along my Achilles tendon area on my right foot. Must be how I walk. Anyway, I would never consider returning them for the guarantee.
    I wouldn't either if I got a thousand miles out of them.

Images

For the holidays, I bought my wife, two sons (both of which have been hiking on the AT) and myself Darn Tough At branded socks, wore them this morning doing some hills - AMAZING SOCKS, you can just feel the quality

I got a thousand miles out of a pair as well on my thru this year. I still wear em.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Good socks for sure, I have several pair myself. Most any sock that costs that much is going to be good though.

I tell ya.. if there's one place I'm not going to try and go cheap by saving a few bucks it's on shoes and socks.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Good socks for sure, I have several pair myself. Most any sock that costs that much is going to be good though.

I tell ya.. if there's one place I'm not going to try and go cheap by saving a few bucks it's on shoes and socks.
    Would be sort of like a race car driver going cheap on tires.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    Would be sort of like a race car driver going cheap on tires.
    10-K is the race car. I'm more like the Jeep.

Journal Entries

My dogs love them.

Images

I scorched a whole in the side of a Darn Tough sock drying a pair out a little too long and too close to the fire. I emailed Darn Tough, explained what had happened, and asked them for a new pair if burning was part of their life time warranty. They politely declined. Oh, well. the hole is near the top and is not much of a bother.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xokie View Post
    I scorched a whole in the side of a Darn Tough sock drying a pair out a little too long and too close to the fire. I emailed Darn Tough, explained what had happened, and asked them for a new pair if burning was part of their life time warranty. They politely declined. Oh, well. the hole is near the top and is not much of a bother.
    By chance did I shuttle you to an outfitter in Johnson City? I took a hiker to Mahoney's who was trying to get a new pair of DT socks because he lit his in a fire.

Images

Hey, Oddman !!

Just ordered 4 pair - two to put up, two to wear. Thanks for the code - saved over $7.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++