WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Garlic
    Images

Default The "Loop and Poop"

Check this out. Be sure to watch the video.

The things you find on the internet.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Pretty funny. It is really easy to make one of those on your own so I hope she hasn't bet the farm on it.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Ouch, a year of prototyping with engineers? I do like her spiel though.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Seems like it would be difficult to dig a cathole that close to a tree.

All the accessory attachments are what's gonna sell it. Especially the one for the bear bell. That way if a bear comes up sniffing your behind while your doing your duty all you got to do is wiggle your butt and it's outta there.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

No contraption needed, just grab the backside of the tree and lean back. I used to call this the "tree hugger method". One problem with the contraption is if you are back to far and can't reach the tree, it might be hard to get back up. The down side to the no contraption method is the need to hold oneself there with one hand while wiping.

I definitely have run out of places to hang bear bells! Noticed she violated the rule about going away from streams and trails. Oops.

At least she covered some multi use ideas!

Images

Formerly known as the "Strap and Crap" - unbelievable
    Ideas for improvement:
    A place to hang a disposable bag capable of receiving the accurately targeted result of the device. LNT.
    A place to attach a can of bear spray and/or air freshener. In case the bell doesn't work.
    A bidet accessory, maybe with a squeeze bottle and hose. For the European hikers.

Images

Wear a skirt...
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Journal Entries

I hope she kept her day job.

Millions of folks around the world both men and women simply squat yet only in the U.S. will you see folks buying a belt so you can squat to leave a dump. No wonder folks are strapping boards across their arse, floating on inner tubes, or jumping into row boats to make it across the oceans or walking for 100's of miles through deserts, or locking themselves inside storage containers for several wks at a time(w/ 60 others) to get here for the opps that the U.S. offers. Yet babied spoiled U.S. citizens still complain about opps and nor being able to obtain careers/jobs.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Millions of folks around the world both men and women simply squat yet only in the U.S. will you see folks buying a belt so you can squat to leave a dump. No wonder folks are strapping boards across their arse, floating on inner tubes, or jumping into row boats to make it across the oceans or walking for 100's of miles through deserts, or locking themselves inside storage containers for several wks at a time(w/ 60 others) to get here for the opps that the U.S. offers. Yet babied spoiled U.S. citizens still complain about opps and nor being able to obtain careers/jobs.
    I bet they are trying to get in here just so they can take 6 months off and thru-hike the AT.

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Formerly known as the "Strap and Crap" - unbelievable
    Ideas for improvement:
    A place to hang a disposable bag capable of receiving the accurately targeted result of the device. LNT.
    A place to attach a can of bear spray and/or air freshener. In case the bell doesn't work.
    A bidet accessory, maybe with a squeeze bottle and hose. For the European hikers.
    A drink holder is a must. This device is kinds funny but it would have been nice to have last year when the knee swole and locked straight, made it impossible to squat, glad I had an engineering background to figure out how to crap in the woods then...people are like rats, some how they always come up with a way to survive.

If it were sized correctly, it could be used as a type of chair: http://www.coolhunting.com/design/vitra-chairless.php

I don't know if she ended up using it on her trip, but you can see Clinker using something like this in one of her pre-AT journal entries: http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=399338

Journal Entries

People have squatted for thousands of years

Yet today, going to the bathroom outside is unthinkable for many.

What a bunch of p_ss_es the human race has become.

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    ...What a bunch of p_ss_es the human race has become.
    Yep. And here's some required reading for us old grouchy guys.

Images
    Last edited by kayak karl; 01-20-2014 at 20:12.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    People have squatted for thousands of years

Yet today, going to the bathroom outside is unthinkable for many.

What a bunch of p_ss_es the human race has become.
    I'm with you, to a degree, but the 'humans have done X for thousands of years' argument is a pretty crappy one (pun intended). Humans have done a lot of things for thousands of years that I'm quite happy to see become antiquated behaviors. Dying from mild infections, enslaving others based on race, subjugating women in general... Plenty more where those came from.

The whole 'the world was best in my day, and every change that comes after will be the end of it' argument has been going as long as we have. I'm not old enough to start my turn yet.

Images

The best thing about the good old days is talking about them.
    As George Carlin noted, "The good old days - back when botulism was a sauce."
    That said, we tend to build "better mousetraps", often just for the sake of separating people from their hard earned money - just watch most infomercials for examples.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++