WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gaiters?

Default Gaiters?

I always wear trail runners and never had a problem with stuff getting in my shoe.I've never hiked in much snow. Worth buying a pair? I've heard alot of positive reviews about dirty girl gaiters? Thoughts ... I'm planning to do a 30-40 section next week in roan mtn area. Worth the $26 and weight???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default Gaiters?

I vote yes.

Love my Dirty Girls!

--louis

Images

Yes, but not for snow, at least anything more than a couple of inches. If you are postholing the Velcro undo and they provide little protection. But for normal small rocks and dirt hey are great and provide a bit of life to normally drab hiking clothing. I also think they are much more useful out west on say the PCt than the AT. I rarely wear them on the AT.

Images

I would take the tall gaitors since we're talking elevation above 5 k.
    Keeping your feet dry should be a high concern .
    Look at wearing sock liners over your wool socks with the trail runners .
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    Yes, but not for snow, at least anything more than a couple of inches. If you are postholing the Velcro undo and they provide little protection. But for normal small rocks and dirt hey are great and provide a bit of life to normally drab hiking clothing. I also think they are much more useful out west on say the PCt than the AT. I rarely wear them on the AT.
    This.... Although, I do like to wear them when on the AT or similar trails. Some days it seems like I get crap in my shoes every 30 mins unless I wear a light gaiter.

Ryan

where i am now, which might not be where i am tomorrow

spend the money on ayce's.....take a 15 sec break and dump out your shoes. done.

Love my Dirty Girls for desert or dry trail hiking to keep the sand, small rocks, sticks, etc out. You might consider in sizing up one if you have a high or volumous instep. Worth the wt? I never thought of Dirty Girl lycra gaiters as taking up much space or breaking this camel's back!

I've used dirty girl and running funky gaiters. The running funky are better made, better quality, IMO. $21.99.

Quote Originally Posted by louisb View Post
    Love my Dirty Girls!

--louis
    A pair of Dirty Girls is the best $20 I've spent on hiking gear...weigh nothing and do a great job...I never go to the woods without my Dirty Girls.

Im buying my dirty girls soon!

Quote Originally Posted by sbeatrice13 View Post
    Im buying my dirty girls soon!
    Make sure you tell your significant other about them before they find the "dirty girls" line item on the credit card which might then result in a spirited phone call while you are at work.

I've carried gaiters before and could not make them send up. Suppose I could nail to my shins or something . But I carried them to help keep my boots dry and they failed at that also.
    However just bought another pair, shorter and lighter than before, not Dirty Girl tho I looked at them and was not favorably impressed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

I love wearing sneakers / trail runners 'on' snow. Little trickier to wear them 'in' snow.
    The essentials:
    1. They should not absorb water, or very little.
    2. They need enough room for insulating socks and waterproof socks.
    3. Some way of keeping snow out, like gaiters, or snug enough to allow little snow in and meshy enough to allow snow water to escape.

The key thing is that the snow is insulated from your feet so that it doesn't melt, which reduces insulation further causing more and more snow to melt.

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    I love wearing sneakers / trail runners 'on' snow. Little trickier to wear them 'in' snow.
    The essentials:
    1. They should not absorb water, or very little.
    2. They need enough room for insulating socks and waterproof socks.
    3. Some way of keeping snow out, like gaiters, or snug enough to allow little snow in and meshy enough to allow snow water to escape.

The key thing is that the snow is insulated from your feet so that it doesn't melt, which reduces insulation further causing more and more snow to melt.
    I'm thinking about maybe just trail runners, wool sucks, and bread bags over my feet? i imagine they will get sweaty but stay warm?

Get to camp/shelter shed boots/shoes/trail runners, hang socks to air dry, put on goretex booties and camp shoes (with soles!). Keeps my feet comfy-er cause I only gots 2 of-em.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewsobo View Post
    I'm thinking about maybe just trail runners, wool sucks, and bread bags over my feet? i imagine they will get sweaty but stay warm?
    This is what I did this past spring and the weather was about as bad as possible. The bread bags help but they get holes after a while but even if your feet get wet the bags help keep the water from changing over, snow isn't that bad but when walking in slush the water in your shoes gets constantly replaced with 32 degree water.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckT View Post
    I've carried gaiters before and could not make them send up. Suppose I could nail to my shins or something .
    I ran a bit of shock cord through the top seam of my dirty girls and secured them with a micro cord lock: http://negativepackweight.blogspot.c...l-gaiters.html This way, I can use the same size with thick or thin pants or with shorts and have them stay up. Works pretty good!

Well I reasoned that socks with elastic tops stay up ... gaiters should. They didn't. Later reflection made me wonder if I just chose the wrong design and that the ones I choose wern't too heavy and stiff to stand up. We shall see.

Images

I love my dirty girls, they work great!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++