WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Layering Help

Registered User dudeijuststarted's Avatar
    Images

Default Layering Help

I'm having a heck of a time finding an optimal layering system that doesn't break the bank. All I've got so far is a pair of UA Coldgear baselayer tops and merino/exofficio underwear. Making every effort to go the thrift / discount route, I'm consistenly turning up with nothing. This is most likely because I'm in the Tampa Bay and people aren't donating down jackets around here

I'm looking for some suggestions to hunt down at online discounters. What I'm interested in finding:

- Windproof insulating midlayer with pockets
    - UL collapsible down jacket that can handle 15 degree weather
    - Baselayer bottoms (are these a necessity? As Bill Burr says "my legs don't get cold! they don't get cold!)
    - Rain pants

There was a killer discount at Sierra Trading Post last night but digging further on the products I determined they weren't suitable to my mission.

Also, can anyone recommend a DIY alternative to gaiters?

D

Marshalls and T.J. Max usually has some nice Columbia fleece jackets for 20 bucks. I also picked up a nice Hawke&Co down for 40 at Marshalls. geartrade.com always has great deals on slightly used or new gear. I've bought a few items including my tent from them.

Images

Yep, I stop in TJ / Marshalls weekly, I intend to continue to go, you never know. Never heard of geartrade, looks promising!

Images

You will definitely want a bottom base layer. Sometimes to hike in if it's really cold, sometimes to keep warm when in camp, sometimes because you are still cold even in your sleeping bag. Once you stop hiking for the day, if you get cold while setting up and making meal, etc., it is very hard to warm back up.

Of course you need to shop carefully. I favor vests over full jackets and for your legs I'd suggest wind pants. You may find, generally, that while you are slogging along you need to keep your feet as dry as is practical; and your torso (core) as warm and dry as practical, and your head dry as practical. When you stop it's time to start think about putting on fleece bottoms on to keep the legs warm, and swap out your inner top layer for something dry. I got a good buy on 2 down vests (one is sorta International Orange) from Landsend over Xmas. Also if your are in Tampa area (?) Do you shop the Outlet Mall? Saw some good prices in Columbia and Eddie Bauer in the Orlando venues.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

Images

Thanks for the advice on the bottom baselayer buzzard.

Chuck...when you say "wind pants," could that be synonymous with rain pants?

REI is always having sales might want to do some internet shopping.

Nah, wind pants, light nylon pants, like you see so much from Adidas and the like. Sure, they will soak through, but overall, rain pants are overkill, they aren't going to breath, so you will sweat in them anyway. The pair I use came from Goodwill, for like $3, and are Adidas.

Get bottom baselayers, also try looking for running tights, they work well for baselayers. I found mine (Hind brand) on sale cheap at a Marshall's.

I agree with a vest (I use fleece, columbia from marshall's) for your base insulation when hiking. For camp and such, Wal Mart (yeah, I know), has (or at least had) a fairly light, packable down jacket for $50. Perhaps not the best, but for camp and breaks, especially layered over base layers and possibly your vest, should do the trick.

As for windproofing for the top, I got a Nike windshirt (also good for mist and light rain), also at Marshall's for under $20.

I too have been going through the same hunt looking for end of season on-line deals for base layers. Yesterday I was able to get a deal on merino wool tops and bottoms at Sierra Trading Post on yesterday's sale. Still pretty expensive but I got both long sleeve top and bottom for less than $40 each, which for merino isn't bad. However, I understand it is hit or miss with what you can get. I got Smart Wool tops and Icebreaker bottoms and in my size, these were about the only option for lightweight base layers. For me (mostly summer hiking) they are mostly for sleeping or maybe in camp if the evening is chilly. good luck.

Mute said it for me.

Nyte not mute (spell checking nanny got me).

++ New Posts ++