WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default No money = No hike?! HELP

I have become increasingly worried about not having enough money for my thru-hike in April. I'm just out of college, I wait tables and bartend, but also have a lot of bills to pay. I was wondering if there's any kind of sponsoring or funding sites or help available? I'd hate more than anything to not be able to hike due to lack of funds... I'm struggling to save money (I'm not spending, my rent is high and tips are slow) and am extremely worried about not having $3-4,000 by mid April.

Help? Has anyone else experienced this, and what did you do?

Don't expect others to pay for your vacation. You are an adult now.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Waiting tables and bartending may be the type of skills that could land temporary jobs in towns along the trail if you run low on cash.

Journal Entries

Christie Belle, don't get discouraged. You might have to put off your hike until next year, or you might be able to do only half the trail this year, and complete it next year. There are many people who have done just that.

But CM is right, don't expect others to fund your hike. In fact, be prepared for a chorus of people saying just that. Some of them might not be polite about it, but don't take it personally. Just understand that this type of question comes up on a regular basis. Anytime there's a whiff of "entitlement", it's usually followed by a vigorous effort to snuff it out. You're still pretty new on WB, so we'll forgive you. Try to forgive us, too!

Keep in mind that plenty of people save up their money, buy gear, quit their jobs, and start on the trail, only to find out a few days or a few weeks later that they don't like backpacking for weeks at a time. If it turns out that you don't like it, you may find that the money you've saved is plenty.

I have many dreams, desires and fantasies for which I don't have the cash, the money or the funds. Therefore, I don't do those things. It is called living within your means.

I wish you the best life you can afford.

Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    Christie Belle, don't get discouraged. You might have to put off your hike until next year, or you might be able to do only half the trail this year, and complete it next year. There are many people who have done just that.

But CM is right, don't expect others to fund your hike. In fact, be prepared for a chorus of people saying just that. Some of them might not be polite about it, but don't take it personally. Just understand that this type of question comes up on a regular basis. Anytime there's a whiff of "entitlement", it's usually followed by a vigorous effort to snuff it out. You're still pretty new on WB, so we'll forgive you. Try to forgive us, too!

Keep in mind that plenty of people save up their money, buy gear, quit their jobs, and start on the trail, only to find out a few days or a few weeks later that they don't like backpacking for weeks at a time. If it turns out that you don't like it, you may find that the money you've saved is plenty.
    Well said!

C'mon ChinMusic have a heart. Can't you spare some change?

Christiebelle you asked this question: "Help? Has anyone else experienced this, and what did you do?" Seriously, do you think we all are getting sponsored free ride thru-hikes paid for by someone else or are all independently wealthy? Sponsorship in hiking is a rare thing. I'm going to go way out on a limb here but it's my guess you're not going to get sponsorship, free enough stuff, or money to attempt your hike.

1) DON'T do a $3000-4000 AT thru-hike!

2)Reduce your on trail costs.
    Lots of info here on WB about how to do that. IF you can't or fail to reduce your non hiking finances NOW pre-hike it's not likely to happen while attempting a thru-hike for the entire duration of an AT thu-hike! Reduce the amt of money you spend on a hike! I've said that twice now, for very good reason. MOST don't do it effectively enough to complete AT thru-hikes. That's the reality as it's been amply observed by me.

3) Don't attempt an AT thru-hike. Do a longish AT section hike. Spread the costs out over two or more hiking seasons completing the AT in that fashion. If hiking the AT is truly your goal then you will notice that not everyone who achieves that goal does it by thru-hiking.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Christie Belle View Post
    I have become increasingly worried about not having enough money for my thru-hike in April. I'm just out of college, I wait tables and bartend, but also have a lot of bills to pay. I was wondering if there's any kind of sponsoring or funding sites or help available? I'd hate more than anything to not be able to hike due to lack of funds... I'm struggling to save money (I'm not spending, my rent is high and tips are slow) and am extremely worried about not having $3-4,000 by mid April.

How much can you scrape together, will you have outstanding loans on day one of your hike, and what kind of prospects do you see for making money in the future? Not questions you should answer here, but ones to ask your self.

Depending on the answers you might ponder that the minimum payment on a $2000 credit card balance is something like $50 per month.

Everyone knows one should not squander their money or even think of something so irresponsible, but some part of me thinks it could be rationalized as an educational investment!

I'm absolutely not looking for handouts... I've been completely independent for 2 years, I was simply asking for advice.

1800freehike

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk 2

I'm absolutely not looking for handouts... I've been completely independent for 2 years, I was simply asking for advice.
    You wrote, "I was wondering if there's any kind of sponsoring or funding sites or help available?"

Isn't that asking for a handout?

I'm absolutely not looking for handouts...
    Then, what does the following mean?

I was wondering if there's any kind of sponsoring or funding sites or help available? I'd hate more than anything to not be able to hike due to lack of funds...
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

But you did ask for handouts and not simply for advice...
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

-

wait till you get your budget and sobo

I'm really really sorry... This was not my intentions, it came out wrong!

How do I delete a thread...

I'm really really sorry... This was not my intentions, it came out wrong!

How do I delete a thread...
    You just suck it up. Most everyone on here has inserted foot before. It will blow over.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Go to your post, you may still be able to edit. Rolls
    Rolls down the hill, Kanardly hike up the other hill
    May all your hikes have clear skies, fair winds and no rocks under your pad.

Son Driven
    Journal Entries

Do you believe in miracles? Step out in faith with what you have. A short section hike will give you a taste of the AT, and is better then no hike at all. There is always a chance that miraculous trail magic will fall upon you.
    03/07/13 - 10/07/13 Flip flop AT thru hike "It is well with my soul"

Quote Originally Posted by Rolls Kanardly View Post
    Go to your post, you may still be able to edit. Rolls
    I don't think she has the "power" to do that Rolls. It's OKAY! Christie Bell don't worry about it. If members don't read ur #15 post then that's their problem not yours... you've apologized. You're home free!

Is this where I come for my hikin' stipend? I'd like two please!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++