WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Other than purchase food sources?

We are planning a through hike in 2016. Food keeps being the biggest question. I did not come up with any search results that address the possibility of catching/trapping/fishing/scavenging.

Any info?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Huli View Post
    I did not come up with any search results that address the possibility of catching/trapping/fishing/scavenging.
    Because it is not realistic. Not to say you can't do it, but after having spent all day hiking, it just isn't realistic to have to 'gather' food . . . check 'money' threads, this topic might pop-up in some of them . . .

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

how to hike

Images

The AT is not wilderness. Other than blackberries in late summer and some other assorted edibles, wild food is not that plentiful along the trail (shelter mice excluded). Fishing may be an option up north if you have the time, but by then most folks are rushing to get to Maine.

By far the largest source of non purchased food are the trail feeds that seem to pop up more and more these days (if you stay with the bubble).
    Last edited by bfayer; 01-21-2014 at 20:26.

Journal Entries
    Images

Oh yeah, to WB!

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

Plenty of food in the woods. Knowledge can be gained to survive in a given area for a time. Only a few have the knowledge to travel and subsist simultaneously. You are not likely to become one of them. Nor am I.

Quote Originally Posted by mountain squid View Post
    Because it is not realistic. Not to say you can't do it, but after having spent all day hiking, it just isn't realistic to have to 'gather' food . . . check 'money' threads, this topic might pop-up in some of them . . .

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

how to hike
    Thanks for the welcome!!

Forgot to mention we are planning Southbound. Leaving as soon as Katahdin opens.

Will look into that link.

Fishing is possible but for the most part you may need to leave trail. Also, licensing could be an issue and expensive. The regs. on native brook trout in most areas is 9" or above to keep and they are few and far between. You may be able to get a squirrel or two if you bring a sling shot but, I would not want to have to count on this other than supplemental food. Supermarket foods are cheap enough.

Images

Blueberries, blackberries, mushrooms, and ramps are all I know of that you might find along the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by aficion View Post
    Plenty of food in the woods. Knowledge can be gained to survive in a given area for a time. Only a few have the knowledge to travel and subsist simultaneously. You are not likely to become one of them. Nor am I.
    True.

Not looking to sole scavenge. More like a supplement. I have scrounged around Maine and Maryland. Only snack level though.

Images

We are planning a through hike in 2016. Food keeps being the biggest question. I did not come up with any search results that address the possibility of catching/trapping/fishing/scavenging.

Any info?

Also keep in mind that hunting trapping and fishing involves licensing that will have higher fees for non-residents, as well as the fact that game seasons may not necessarily coincide with your hike. It may very well be cheaper to buy food than taking game in fish by legal means.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Images

in order to do fishing legally, you would have to buy a fishing license in every state that you want to fish in.

Panzer

True.

Not looking to sole scavenge. More like a supplement. I have scrounged around Maine and Maryland. Only snack level though.

There are free fresh veggies all along the trail. Great source of vitamin A, C, minerals and fiber. Nettles.

Images

Sling shots are illegal to carry in some states, illegal to hunt with in some and in some you need a permit to hunt, but in Missouri you can hunt with a slingshot.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/show...?i=52478&c=513

what is it? is it edible? are there any look alikes?

there is a huge amount of knowledge required to scavenge. same with trapping, and are you willing to set trap lines, then wait until you catch something? 14 states, thats 28 licenses for out of state resident. thats alot of cash right there.

The bottom line is it isn't practical and isn't gonna happen. Count your self luckly if you come across some blueberries.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    The bottom line is it isn't practical and isn't gonna happen. Count your self luckly if you come across some blueberries.
    Au contraire....it happens all the time....nothin more practical than free food......and luck has nothing to do with it. You will not be able to use it exclusively on a long hike....but marginally, to supplement what you carry,.....absolutely. Been doing it all my life.

Seems to fly in the face of "no impact" for an iconic trail like AT.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe64 View Post
    Also keep in mind that hunting trapping and fishing involves licensing that will have higher fees for non-residents, as well as the fact that game seasons may not necessarily coincide with your hike. It may very well be cheaper to buy food than taking game in fish by legal means.
    Good point to consider.

I really cannot eat most freeze dried "camping" food. Guess I will just put my dehydrator on overdrive...lol

I don't think the op is worried about the legal approach. Maybe I'm wrong. Plan your hike to match the ripe season for berries. I have come real close to eating rattlesnake on the at more than once. Then decided I could hike 4 miles instead.

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Toon View Post
    I don't think the op is worried about the legal approach. Maybe I'm wrong. Plan your hike to match the ripe season for berries. I have come real close to eating rattlesnake on the at more than once. Then decided I could hike 4 miles instead.

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk 2
    I am glad somebody else suggested it. I was thinking snake and squirrel as possibilities.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++