WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default What to do with Packs while in Re-Supply

Greetings, While being somewhat concerned about my pack while I am in the re supply store such as WM, where can I make sure it's safe, or do I carry it around the store?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Crestview_hiker View Post
    Greetings, While being somewhat concerned about my pack while I am in the re supply store such as WM, where can I make sure it's safe, or do I carry it around the store?
    Put it in the cart and carry it around with you. If any store complains, request that they secure it for you at the customer service desk and ALWAYS take your ID and money/cards with you. Of greater concern sometimes is securing your pack while showering at public facilities like campgrounds, hostels, etc., or when off fetching water. Personally, I never leave my pack out of my sight unless I trust it will be secure (either I know no one else is around or I trust the people I leave it near - judgement call).

Images

The best thing to do is to have 2 people. One shops while the other matches the gear.

Panzer

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Panzer1 View Post
    The best thing to do is to have 2 people. One shops while the other matches the gear.

Panzer
    I mean "watches' the gear.

Journal Entries

You may want to look at this . Granted the price is steep and it weighs in around a full pound, but it looks secure to me.
    Blackheart

Images

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeBill View Post
    You may want to look at this . Granted the price is steep and it weighs in around a full pound, but it looks secure to me.
    "Gone in 60 seconds" (actually more like 10 seconds) armed with a small pair of cable cutters. They are quite common with people in the trades - and with thieves, who typically use them to steal bicycles. Not worth the money or weight IMO. Keep your pack with you or otherwise secured in towns.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

While shopping for food I always put my pack in the cart. Never had anyone say anything.
    In a restaurant where it's common that they don't want you to bring your pack in, I try to place it where I can keep an eye on it while I'm eating.

I never leave my pack along the trail when I go off for water, I take it with me.

Cabela's in Hamburg, next to Port Clinton on the trail, will keep your pack behind the customer service counter while you shop.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

I always put mine in the bottom part of the cart and don't touch while in the store, you should be okay, i have never had any problems taking it a store.

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. Seems I wouldn't want the extra weight of a cable though.. I think I will treat it like my wallet, it goes everywhere whit me when physically possible.

If a store or resturant gives you a hard time about your pack or isnt willing to store it for you because they have concerns about you bringing it in I'd recommend that you find another place.

I've never had an issue with this before except for a hamburger place outside of Damascus. I just decided they didn't want my business and kept walking. My backpack is like a gun to me. The only way your getting it is off of my cold dead body.

++ New Posts ++