WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

The AT is often called the "green tunnel" for a reason. Take sunscreen and sunglasses on an AT thru-hike if you feel it essential. I don't though because an AT thru-hike is largely a forested somewhat shady long distance hike. PCT different story, IMHO.

I preface Maxpatch, "I think the OP is going to find out that the same item may be essential to one person, a "nice to have" to another, and unnecessary weight to another."

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    I always carry two needles "pre-loaded" with heavyweight waxed dental floss wrapped around each needle and ready to go. Needles break and bend, etc. For real pack work you'll need an awl of some sort to get thru webbing, which I do not carry.
    I'm surprised that you haven't cached an extra needle and spool of thread/floss somewhere in Slickrock? You're slipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I'm surprised that you haven't cached an extra needle and spool of thread/floss somewhere in Slickrock? You're slipping.
    I just stashed a pair of leather trailwork gloves but dangit I can't remember where I put them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I figured he humped a real sewing machine.

50 yrs from now people are going to be finding all kinds of stuff in the area where you now hike that you've forgotten about or lost or left behind. Look George an old pr of leather gloves. They look like they are very old , like they've been here a long time. I wonder how they got here? Tipi Tipi Tipi Walter king of the wild frontier.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew82 View Post
    Could a few of you lovely people more experienced on the AT than myself please post list of those items that you feel should be brought along? Not shelter, stove, sleeping bag and similarly obvious items, but those items that are commonly forgotten about while one is prepping for their hike.
    This has already been mentioned but I think It's worth mentioning again. A pair of FINE POINT TWEEZERS for ticks. Regular tweezers are not what you want. Here's a link that shows how to properly remove a tick.

Ugh... Toilet paper... I would much prefer a bidet. If you stick your hand in some mess you don't just wipe it off and call it a day, but sacrifices must be made!

I appreciate all the suggestions, more than once I had a "Oh yeah" moment, though I agree with the one poster who said that some items one person may find essential, may not be so essential for myself. I'm just not big on carrying a bunch of stuff. Pretty much what I need and maybe a pint of good VSOP for those social moments. I know I'll be able to pick stuff up along the way if needed, but I'd prefer not having a bonehead moment and leaving out an obvious need. TP being a prime example!

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew82 View Post
    Pretty much what I need and maybe a pint of good VSOP for those social moments.
    No no no. All us cool kids drink Knob Creek. Or we drink nothing at all.

Small roll of Kenyon clear tape...repairs sleeping bags, jackets, tents...I have a 6" tent rip, sleeping bag rip and several fire ember holes in my down jacket that have been repaired with it...weighs nothing. If you get a hole in a down product repair or lose your your down.

Knife with a sharp point...cuts the cheese, beef stick and removes spinters...I emphasis, sharp point.

A small bottle of New Skin...best blister treatment I've found so far.

I carry two small, partially used, rolls of toilet paper (without the cardboard tube) in zip lock bags in case one gets wet or I leave one in the woods.

Fire-starters, or a dozen or so instant-light charcoal briquettes are nice to have.

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    No no no. All us cool kids drink Knob Creek. Or we drink nothing at all.
    Than I suppose I'm not going to be drinking with the cool kids... Besides, I'm not drinking 'knob' anything... (Truth is, I'm not a huge drinker, but I do enjoy sipping a bit of brandy with a new face. Laughter and brandy are always the best ways to begin and end a friendship)

We had to buy wide athletic tape (better than moleskin) for taping heels at Hiawasee, and then sunscreen at the NOC.
    that's about it.

Blow torch and extra burning clothes

just added this to my kit...works pretty good.

img-thing.jpg

Don't think anybody has mentioned hand sanitizer--probably Purell

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    just added this to my kit...works pretty good.

img-thing.jpg
    oh Snap...wrong picture!

pEMS1-6237047venh.jpg

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

A tick removal tool ( I like the tick key better than tweezers)

An assortment of zip ties

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    A tick removal tool ( I like the tick key better than tweezers)

An assortment of zip ties
    agreed, those tick keys are thee best removal tool, hands down!

Except for toilet paper, this thread reminds me of all the stuff that you should probably send home because you don't need it, or can get it in the next town if you do need it.
    A few good ideas: TP, ear plugs, handkerchief, needle and dental floss.
    A few bad ones: sunglasses and sun screen (I am always amazed that people would take these on the AT, where you will be lucky to see the sun once in a while), extra batteries (did you come to hike, or stay up reading books at night?)
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    Except for toilet paper, this thread reminds me of all the stuff that you should probably send home because you don't need it, or can get it in the next town if you do need it.
    A few good ideas: TP, ear plugs, handkerchief, needle and dental floss.
    A few bad ones: sunglasses and sun screen (I am always amazed that people would take these on the AT, where you will be lucky to see the sun once in a while), extra batteries (did you come to hike, or stay up reading books at night?)
    No, that's not a bad idea... when you are hiking before the leaves are fully out on the trees in GA, in April, or hiking thru PA's open fields, this is a problem... sun burn. Seriously. Just to name a few reasons. ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++