WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Disabled Hiker- Medical Attention!

"Disabled" may the wrong term.
    I have a disability, but that doesn't mean I plan on being disabled!

I've got a condition called Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome (Hypermobile Type) with a list of symptoms longer than my arm. However, the one I am most concerned about is frequent joint dislocations.
    Now, there's no way in hell I'm letting my body keep me from this hike. However, I also recognize that in event of a knee, hip, or ankle dislocation, the need for a week or more off the trail is a realistic possibility.

Should this happen, what are my options? I should be able to hike for a day or so on an injured leg, but eventually I'll have to stop and rest it, preferably in a town with food and whatnot.
    "You don't really conquer a mountain. You conquer yourself. You overcome the sickness and everything else - your pain, aches, fears - to reach the summit"
    -James Whittaker

2013 COBS Alumni
    CXT-341

you really need to have a conversation with your doctor before seriously considering this. no one here is qualified to offer you real and substantive advice, you have a serious medical condition

in general, take it easy, take it slow, listen to your body. others may be able to push through the pain, for you that may have serious and life long consequences

i am not trying to discourage you, plenty of people with various medical issues have completed the trail, but for them it takes another level of planning and preparation

Quote Originally Posted by Hill Ape View Post
    you really need to have a conversation with your doctor before seriously considering this. no one here is qualified to offer you real and substantive advice, you have a serious medical condition

in general, take it easy, take it slow, listen to your body. others may be able to push through the pain, for you that may have serious and life long consequences

i am not trying to discourage you, plenty of people with various medical issues have completed the trail, but for them it takes another level of planning and preparation

Oh, definitely! After living with this condition for 18 years, I know when my body is trying to talk to me.
    And my doc and I will definitely be having several long conversations.

I'm just looking for places I might be able to stay if/when I do need to rest a bad joint. Will a hostel let me stay for a week or more? Do I have to spring for a hotel? SUPER awesome trail angels? etc.
    "You don't really conquer a mountain. You conquer yourself. You overcome the sickness and everything else - your pain, aches, fears - to reach the summit"
    -James Whittaker

2013 COBS Alumni
    CXT-341

Once you work things out with your MD, and considering your age, you should probably make more of a point than many to build up you skills and conditioning with a series of shorter trips. Get the latest trail guides to learn your bailout/rest points and take it from there. At the very worst you will have some memorable experiences and discover long distance hiking is not for you.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

There are tons and tons and tons of places to stay near the trail. Hotels, motels, B&B's, hostels, etc etc etc... but it'll cost a decent amount of money, so make sure you have enough saved up.

Something to seriously consider would be to take a bunch of zero days on the trail while recovering. Just sit in camp, read a good book, journal, draw, whatever. It'll cost you a lot less, for sure, just the $$$ for food and whatnot. And you'll still be out enjoying the woods.

Of course, it is always nice to spend time in a nice cooshy motel bed as well, with TV and bourbon and Chinese/pizza delivery.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

I'm hyper mobile with fibromyalgia and I covered about 300 miles starting around May 13 til Dec 13 all in day hikes. Definitely pay attention to your body and turn around when you need to even if you are only 1 mile from a nice summit.

I want to do sections of the AT or even a thru hike but working myself up through day hikes is the best approach. Given my condition I may never do a thru. Same as you. Doesn't mean you can't day hike and section hike. I'll never do 30 miles a day that's for sure.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    . . .Of course, it is always nice to spend time in a nice cooshy motel bed as well, with TV and bourbon and Chinese/pizza delivery.
    Agree, except the bourbon part as the OP is only 18 That could get him a couple of nights in the local county "free hostel".

Something to seriously consider would be to take a bunch of zero days on the trail while recovering. Just sit in camp, read a good book, journal, draw, whatever. It'll cost you a lot less, for sure, just the $$$ for food and whatnot. And you'll still be out enjoying the woods.
    That might be a problem if he can't walk. Of course, since the dislocation is likely to happen on the trail, he may have to camp where he is until it gets better or someone comes and carries him out.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

If I were in your situation and I made the decision to hike, I would seriously consider a sat phone and a PLB.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by threepointrest View Post
    Will a hostel let me stay for a week or more?
    Most of the donation only nearly free church hostels may have a stay limitation, but in my experience they make exceptions for sick or injured hikers. They are there to help.

The for-profit hostels would probably like you to stay as long as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Agree, except the bourbon part as the OP is only 18 That could get him a couple of nights in the local county "free hostel".
    Very good point! Totally missed the age. So, let's just replace that with Mountain Dew instead.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    Most of the donation only nearly free church hostels may have a stay limitation, but in my experience they make exceptions for sick or injured hikers. They are there to help.

The for-profit hostels would probably like you to stay as long as possible.
    I agree. I think most hostel owners would bend over backwards for him. Rules on stay are not set in stone.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

OP, In the unfortunate event that you were to dislocate something, please don't just rest it away... No matter how it may feel, such an injury should be properly reset or your risking substantial long term damage. I love your attitude, and it's my opinion that you should go for it, but be smart and don't risk a lifetime of crappy rainy days if something were to happen.

Very good point! Totally missed the age. So, let's just replace that with Mountain Dew instead.
    I've spent enough time in Germany to know that Mountain Dew is leagues better than booze anyway
    -James Whittaker

2013 COBS Alumni
    CXT-341

Thanks for the concern
    After 18 years with EDS (plus a Red Cross first aid course and possibly a WFR course) I've gotten pretty good at pulling myself together.
    I also have a good sense of when something is too big for me to handle- I know when I need help, and I'm not too proud to ask for it.
    -James Whittaker

2013 COBS Alumni
    CXT-341

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew82 View Post
    OP, In the unfortunate event that you were to dislocate something, please don't just rest it away... No matter how it may feel, such an injury should be properly reset or your risking substantial long term damage. I love your attitude, and it's my opinion that you should go for it, but be smart and don't risk a lifetime of crappy rainy days if something were to happen.
    Thanks for the concern
    After 18 years with EDS (plus a Red Cross first aid course and possibly a WFR course) I've gotten pretty good at pulling myself together.
    I also have a good sense of when something is too big for me to handle- I know when I need help, and I'm not too proud to ask for it.
    -James Whittaker

2013 COBS Alumni
    CXT-341

Don't mind my double post :/
    -James Whittaker

2013 COBS Alumni
    CXT-341

Quote Originally Posted by threepointrest View Post
    Thanks for the concern
    As someone with connective tissue issues...I feel your pain, and like the way you thumb your nose at it but are humble enough to ask for help if need be...most impressive! you'll get there.

Journal Entries

I have Crohn's Disease which is by far, in my opinion, not even close to your dx, I consider myself lucky and atypical of most with my dx, however, I like your attitude, that will go along way to assisting you in your life, either on the trail or off. Planning for the trail is also what I am doing at this time for 2015. I too will need to begin a March hike in order to return to my job on Sept 1st. As someone mentioned prior, there is another level of planning if you have special needs or considerations that the trail may throw at you, which if encountered by others may not even matter.

You budget should include if you need to take more zero days than just one or a couple per every two weeks or per month. You should also make sure that your health insurance is adequate for your needs while on the trail. Plan ahead and know where there are medical facilities near the trail at certain points along the way that either, participate with your health plan or that is affordable if out of pocket. Communicate your schedule with your local care provider and inform them of your intended plans. Make sure that any medications will be able to be prescribed for either 90 days or more, the entire length of the adventure, or if there is a pharmacy or mail drop location along the way that you can pick up a prescription along the trail.

In my case, I am a veteran and will need to locate a VA medical center, clinic etc., where I can pick up my meds or make an appt. This is just an example of my needs. Yours may be different. In the case of my meds my MD and pharmacy have already stated that they would allow my meds to include the entire time of my thru-hike. For me, the trail is still more than a year away so my meds plan may change. Again, these are just considerations that you should consider as another level of planning that I will also be doing.

Keep a positive mind and if you fall, git back up. And when appropriate continue on the trail, find a place to rest, or locate the nearest medical attention (which should already be planned for). Don't let yourself get down in the dumps. Everyone falls, on the trail, off the trail or in life. Git back up. Those who say they have never fallen, are deluding themselves, they don't want to believe the fact that they are still at the starting block.

++ New Posts ++