WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question Inflatable Pads - inflation tricks?

What tricks do people have for filling inflatable sleeping pads that doesn't involve blowing (be nice) or using a gimmick like the pump thermrest promotes/sells along with its neoair?

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

the neoair takes thirty slow, full exhalations. I filled it in about 2-3 minutes without getting lightheaded. It seemed a pump would have been redundant.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Quote Originally Posted by psyenz View Post
    What tricks do people have for filling inflatable sleeping pads that doesn't involve blowing (be nice) or using a gimmick like the pump thermrest promotes/sells along with its neoair?
    I haven't had any real problems using gimmicky inflation bag that came with my thermarest. 6-7 bag fulls and one good breath and I'm done.

Journal Entries

18 breaths, 50 sec and my regular xlite is inflated.

I am just SO glad I quit smoking. Inflating a pad isn't nearly as bad as it used to be. Before that I could only use a CCF or self inflating pad...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

If I were to get a pump, it would be to reduce moisture, not because it is that difficult to blow up my Exped Synmat UL7.

Images

you can take out your compactor bag pack lliner fill it full of aircinch the open end over the nozzle of the inflatable pad, and squeeze it like a bellows under your arm forcing the air into the mattress.admittedly, ive never tried it, i just blow a lot of hot air directly into the mattress, as it has the added benefit of giving my camp neighbors a break from said hot air.

Images

It can be inflated with a large stuff sack (dry bag works well) or garbage bag by putting the valve in the end of the stuff sack, sealing off by gathering with your thumb and first finger, then squeezing the air out of the stuff bag and into the mattress. Requires 20 or so repetitions with a 7 x 16 dry bag to get to the point where you will still have to blow in it to achieve final inflation, as air will start leaking out when you stop squeezing the stuff bag. Thermarest made a stuff bag with an attachment at one time, don't know if they still do, can't say I'd be interested in such a gadget. Just seems like another nice but not needed item.

I use the trash compactor bag method. It works beautifully. 2 bag fills and its done. Nothing extra to carry and very little moisture into the pad. I have an instaflator too, but I only take it car camping now.

I use the Thermarest pump sack to help inflate my NeoAir Xlite. http://www.cascadedesigns.com/therm-...p-sack/product

Works fast & doesn't add moisture inside my pad. The sack can be used as a pack liner of sorts (there is that pesky inflation port in the bottom).

I've not used one, but the Instaflator has been mentioned before. same idea as the video above.

http://www.themillair.com/

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    you can take out your compactor bag pack lliner fill it full of aircinch the open end over the nozzle of the inflatable pad, and squeeze it like a bellows under your arm forcing the air into the mattress.admittedly, ive never tried it, i just blow a lot of hot air directly into the mattress, as it has the added benefit of giving my camp neighbors a break from said hot air.

Well look at that, I just learned something.

Do you have the link to the original video? I want to share that with a couple people.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post

Do you have the link to the original video? I want to share that with a couple people.
    just click on the youtube logo.
    forget it, here it is:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzBb5oBBd3E

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

just click on the youtube logo.
    forget it, here it is:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzBb5oBBd3E
    Thank HB, I use one of those blasted tablet devices and the YouTube logo link doesn't ever seem to work.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    +1 Pure genius.

One of the many reasons I ditched my Neoair. I let my TR Prolite self-inflate, then it only takes a few puffs to firm her up.

Journal Entries

I've seen a lightweight battery pump, maybe what the OP is talking about, that worked very well in the store, might consider that for a backpack once I find out the weight, but not for a thru.

For car camping and the BA Aircore I used the Instantflator and am happy with that for that purpose.

For my thru I used my mouth with the Neoair which IIRC was about 20-25 breaths and didn't seem burdensome.

simple and effective thank you, pretty much exactly what I was looking for (wish I'd thought it up myself now )

guess I didn't list my actual concern, which was the moisture from my breath going into the bag, my lungs actually function (sometimes too well depending on who you ask). And not looking to carry anything extra for the purpose, need to save some space for luxury items. so simple genius

So I guess the next question is (which may have been answered in a way): is moisture from breath a concern with these inflatables?

Images

simple and effective thank you, pretty much exactly what I was looking for (wish I'd thought it up myself now )

guess I didn't list my actual concern, which was the moisture from my breath going into the bag, my lungs actually function (sometimes too well depending on who you ask). And not looking to carry anything extra for the purpose, need to save some space for luxury items. so simple genius

So I guess the next question is (which may have been answered in a way): is moisture from breath a concern with these inflatables?
    nothing wrong with my neoair after hundreds of miles and months of use, but i guess it can become "A BREEDING GROUND FOR BACTERIA AND GERMS!!!!"
    so if you are going to blow into the mat, make sure you floss first!

I think this is a valid question. Before my thru hike, I asked around if moisture in my Neoair Xlite would be an issue and was told that since there is no insulation, such as down or foam, that the moisture was not a problem. So on my hike, I just used my lungs, no issue. However, since then I have heard that some have experienced problems with their Neoair Xlites that could be related to moisture.

I just purchased a Neoair Xtherm and it came with a stuff sack that is also an inflation sack. I have only blown it up once using the inflation sack and it worked fine.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++