WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Default How do you clean a Sawyer Mini filter?

Alright, so I bought a new Sawyer Mini filter which I used for the first time last week and it is excellent. The only problem I have is that in my infinite wisdom I threw away all of the packaging and instructions. When I went to clean and dry it afterwards I realized unlike my my old Katadyn Hiker pro, the Sawyer mini it appears to be fully sealed so I can't just pull out the .

So my simple question is how the heck do you clean and dry this thing? Are you supposed to run a mixture of 1 liter of water and 2 Tablespoons of bleach through as with other types of filters, and if you do how the you get it to dry out short of hooking it up to an aquarium bubbler pump?

Also, any suggestions for how to easily get the included squeeze bag dry?
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

it comes with a syringe in the package , use it with clean water . maybe you can dry it a little with air in the syringe !?!

Images

http://sawyer.com/sawyer-u/faqs/water-filtration/

Sawyer has some of your answers here. For the bags, I usually stick the opening over the handle of a thin utensil and allow it to air dry.

Images

Syringe or backflow it. You can use bleach. The filter doesn't pass air, so the bubbler pump won't work. I swing my filter around to get most of the air out, and then I leave it in the dish rack for a couple weeks when I get home...after backflowing it with bleach water.

I gave up on drying bladders and put it in the freezer. Only the bladders, not the filter.

Journal Entries
    Images
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

The bag has instructions on it. Back flush with bleach then store. Unfortunately it doesn't dry out fast at all. I've found that it will hold a few drops of water for weeks after use.

Section Hiker

The bags are rigid enough if you wash them and leave them open standing up on the counter they dry in a day or two. Like an idiot, I accidentally froze my Sawyer regular last weekend on an overnight so I'll be picking up a Sawyer Mini very soon...

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

Here you go a video from Sawyer's website showing you need to know about the mini.
    http://sawyer.com/videos/sawyer-mini-water-filter/
    EZ-DOES-IT

Life has no remote. Get up and change it yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    I gave up on drying bladders and put it in the freezer. Only the bladders, not the filter.
    I do this with my platypus 2 liter bottle. Good to hear that the Sawyer bladders will stand up to freezing too.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Thanks for the replies. The bleach solution seemed to do the trick and so far I'm very happy with the filter.

One more question: Has anyone gotten this filter to work with a platy bottle? I had hoped they would be compatible, but it seems like the threads on the mouth of my 1Litre platy only wrap around once which isn't enough to make a tight seal with the filter so the connection between the bag and the filter leaks.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

I've been lucky and was able to find the older ones on Amazon which have worked for me. Also checkout evernew bags if your lucky enough to find them.

I picked up a couple of 1 L Evernew bags a few months ago. They were unavailable for a long time, but are back, at least for now. They fit the filter fine. You could connect a Platy bag with a hose connector, I suppose.

http://www.greatoutdoorsdepot.com/ev...ter-carry.html

++ New Posts ++