WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Missing Hiker

Default Missing Hiker

I remember when the story of 66 year old Geraldine Largay, who went missing in Maine on July 23rd broke. I know the search was called off, but always wondered what happen to her. Sorry if this post upsets anybody, her name was on my mind today.

Section Hiker

I still think about her too, skinnbones. So very sad. I didn't know her and guessing you didn't either, just this community of people who care, you know? I hope she didn't suffer. I'm sorry for her family for their loss and to not have any closure.

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

We all still think about her. Very mysterious, and very sad.

Yes, we all feel very bad about this! We won't ever forget about her!

Images

Without a trace, after a pretty extensive search. Especially puzzling as she was an experienced hiker/outdoors person and her general location and direction were known.

I know buzzard. She did everything right with her planning. Her husband always knew what general area she was hiking. Maybe one day there will be answers.

Images

This lady lived just a few miles from me and was hiking my next section in Maine (coming up in August), so I too think of her regularly. I did read a book recently ("The Last Season") about a super-experienced ranger who went missing. Helped me understand that these things happen without fault ... and likely to be solved some day. Gave me a little peace of mind, for what it's worth.

A month or two ago, a Florida man was discovered in a Tennessee State Park. His remains, that is. Missing for seven years, but his family has some resolution now.

Rain Man

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

I also read the book "The last season". I understand what your saying.

Images

It's just so hard to find an injured, unconscious, or deceased person in the woods and especially in more remote areas. You could literally walk right next to them and just not see or know they were there. There was a Learjet on approach to Lebanon airport that crashed only 10 miles away near Smarts Mountain in NH back in the late 90's that left a trail of wreckage 100's of feet long, but wasn't found for three years.

Journal Entries

More than likely will not be able to forget her and I didn't know her. I will be thinking about her on the trail and be on the lookout for her when I near the location of the trail where she likely disappeared on. I know that I can't do anything more than what has already been done but it's just human nature I think to be aware of it.

Her face is etched in my minds eye forever, really a strange and sad story, she won't be forgotten.

In the North woods they have a way of finding the remains of lost hunters in the early Spring like April and May by observing the flights of ravens and crows. As the snow melts and the forest floor becomes exposed it draws the attention of the birds. By finding a high place to observe the circling crows it's sometimes possible to locate remains.

Haven't checked here about Inchworm for a while. But I haven't forgotten her either. Sorry that there is nothing new reported. Thanks for the thread, anyway.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I just watched a documentary about her and the search process not long ago.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

I just watched last night..unfortunately my wife saw it also! I prefer to hike alone. She said I must get a spot tracker. Can't they track your iphone even with no signal ? Does the find my iphone app work w out cell signal during airplane mode?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Can't they track your iphone even with no signal ? Does the find my iphone app work w out cell signal during airplane mode?
    The NSA or CIA might be able to find your phone from space or a drown, but normally, no. You need to be in range of a cell tower and those are few and far between in the remote areas of Maine. If your phone is in airplane mode, the phone part is off so the cell network does not know where you are until you turn it back on and are in range of a cell tower.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

It is a very sad story. At the Northern Ruck there was a few of us seasonal hikers going up and search the area again for her. It would not be until the Spring. At the very least to help try to give the family some closure.

It has been a few years sense I've been up there but can anyone tell me if they might be a ski trail or maybe an old trail. It would just help when searching the area if we could figure out where she might have gotten off.

Wolf

Images

False trails are certainly not uncommon on the AT or anywhere else - I've gotten off track following what seemed like the trail only to have to backtrack and find some blazes, but usually if I go a hundred yards or so without seeing a blaze I start to wonder. I think I've followed abandoned trails and roads, natural water runoffs, dry creeks, game trails, etc. at least once or twice each in error and have even had other hikers follow me up the wrong trail.

I don't know that area well, but I read in another article http://statement-analysis.blogspot.c...f-missing.html a comment at the bottom from a poster "Jeff" who talks about false trails in that section.

Images

Somewhat off topic, but this story about searching for some tourists who had been missing in Death Valley for 13 year gives some insight into how hard it can be to find a missing person. And it's a really fascinating read.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicLlama View Post
    Somewhat off topic, but this story about searching for some tourists who had been missing in Death Valley for 13 year gives some insight into how hard it can be to find a missing person. And it's a really fascinating read.

It certainly is a fascinating read!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++