WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Images

As a section hiker, early on I was bringing too many clothes and had heavier gear. You are right, lighter gear costs $$$

Only suggestion would be clothes and making some hard decisions on what you can do WITHOUT. Example, you dont really need a knife, a thru hiker I ran into was using a single edge razor blade. Another area for weight, 1st aid kit, need duct tape and antibiotic ointment.

WB is an amazing resource plus you might find some cheap gear before you leave, most have closet's full.

Once you get to warmer weather pack weight will decline.

Images

I was sub 20 with a custom made pack but was NOT comfortable, not at all. I made a trip to EMS and REI and Dick's... and you get the point. I looked at and tried every pack that would meet my needs, Guess what ? I went heavier, ya I said it, and I don't care who knows it! It was this additional two (2) pounds of pure pack weight that allows me to add extra miles to my day BECAUSE MY WORN OUT BUTT FEELS BETTER LONGER. I can carry more, for longer and further than I could trying to lighten up. There are areas that one can and some where one should not lighten up. If it feels OK forget the numbers and enjoy yourselves, remember numbers don't hike.

Journal Entries

I only wish I could get down that light. I am more worried about the weight around my midriff. Main problem with me is bigger clothes equals more weight, I cannot find a pack that fits my large frame that is comfortable to carry that weighs a pound and is durable, and as with a lot of others is cheap enough to replace should I have to. I have 26 lbs to start no food or water. Last year in Georgia I started with 7 days of food and my pack weight was 47 lbs. I feel blessed this year. I have shaved some weight and I have a different re-supply plan so that I will maybe carry 7 days of food only once or twice. I will also send home some more weight within the first month of my hike this year depending on the weather. My feet are doing a lot better since it has been three years since surgery. I am sure, if you were going alone, that your pack would weigh a lot more. Some of the things I learned last year that helped shave weight, you do not need town clothes (wear your rain suit while laundering), An air mattress that gets a leak in the middle of the night is no fun (I am taking a closed cell), I did buy a lighter stove, swapped out my Katahdyn for aquamira, and some items will be going in a bounce box. Don't worry, be happy. I saw a lot of equipment in shelters and hiker boxes the first 100 miles.
    I start out the Day with nothing and by the end of the Day I still have most of it.

As others have said, the web does not represent reality.
    A 20 lb base weight is extremely good. You'll see a lot of huge packs on the actual trail.

A 20 pound base weight is not extremely good. I started with about 18 lbs which included 3 days food and quart of water. ULA can and will make a pack for just about any size human being. I had everything I needed.

i hiked last year with 41 lbs went down to 31 at Neals gap could not tell any difference, starting again this march, not much i can do with out, hope i can get to 20 lbs to start out my pack wt is 5 lbs empty if i get to 20 lbs i will be happy. hope you have a good hike happy trails

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    the obsession with pack weight is a bit ridiculous at times.yes, lighter is better, and you trade some comfort for a lighter load, but for every person that balance of comfort and weight is gonna be different.
    i met a guy a day before i hit damascus that had started sobo the previous septmeber with a 120 lb pack(with his winter gear) and was down to a mere 70lbs. with just 450 miles to finish. i was carrying less than 20lbs at the time, and we both looked at each other , knowing full well that the other one was "doing it wrong".he couldnt believe how small my pack was(i'm not u.l, i use an atmos50 and my base weight is around 16 lbs for 3 seasons). he asked me if i carried food. i said yeah, but i'm only a day away from resupply and i generally carry about 1.5lbs/day. he told me he carried 5lbs a day, and i laughed, i said you need to, you're carrying 3 times as much weight as me." we both had a good laugh. who was i to criticize a guy who'd already hikes some 1600 miles with his 70 lb pack. maybe he was the one who was doing it right all along.
    ask tipi about pack weight
    That must have been 'Sherpa Chief.' I ran into him @ Hurricane Shelter. Monster pack. White gas stove. Bragged about his pack weight. Glad I wasn't carrying it. Yikes! HYOH.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++