WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Going mainstream (sorta)

Got the latest Backpacker today, (March issue) and apparently Backpacker is (sorta) writing about backpackers!

Cam "Swami" Honan- has an entire, massive, TWO page spread. No; not anything really about his amazing 15k mile trip (they saved the 8 page in-depth article for a missing hiker who was trekking in nepal)- but a graphics intensive collection of random tips from Cam's 50k miles of hiking.

They even- gasp- have a section about Speed hiking (actually they call it endurance hiking).
    Again- mainly standard graphics and blurbs with no actual content- but they actually have an entire two paragraphs (each even- four total) each with a picture (not plural) of Anish and Matt Kirk. They even talked to them a little and put a quote from each of them in EXTREME graphical font for emphasis.

Sorry. I was so excited to see backpackers, and even speed hikers mentioned that I got my hopes up a bit. I know Backpacker Mag is pretty much all we got- but you would think Swami at least could pull down a real article...
    But speed hiking is clearly going mainstream!

Congrats to Matt and Anish on achieving fame and fortune (sorta)!

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Perhaps you can fit into mainstream with an IHP....Individual Hiking Plan.....No Hiker Left Behind!
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    Perhaps you can fit into mainstream with an IHP....Individual Hiking Plan.....No Hiker Left Behind!
    Made me chuckle.
    Merry 2012 AT blog
    "Not all those who wander are lost."

Met Matt Kirk at SoRuck; very impressive and humble young guy. He deserves all the kudos.
    Trillium

You know who else has some good trip articles and a forum designed much like WB? TrailGroove They haven't been around long but I like their content in their trip reports. I'll tell ya another thing JustBill. It's just the type of venue where your talents as a writer and experience as a hiker would prolly get posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    You know who else has some good trip articles and a forum designed much like WB? TrailGroove They haven't been around long but I like their content in their trip reports. I'll tell ya another thing JustBill. It's just the type of venue where your talents as a writer and experience as a hiker would prolly get posted.
    I have a feelin JB will be recognized for his writing talent one day.... at the very least he has impressed us for sure.

Years ago, backpacker mag was more useful. These days the paper that they use has become so hard and crinkly that it's hard on the old bum. I liked the way it was in the old days, a more soft, gentle and useful mag....

Quote Originally Posted by moldy View Post
    Years ago, backpacker mag was more useful. These days the paper that they use has become so hard and crinkly that it's hard on the old bum. I liked the way it was in the old days, a more soft, gentle and useful mag....
    You didn't get the memo? Now you are supposed to use a stick.

++ New Posts ++