WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Cheap gear

Default Cheap gear

Patagonia's first winter sale starts the 29th (1/29/14)- should be 30% off this time around.

Just FYI-
    They seem to go with a 30% end of season sale (the one coming up), then a season clearance sale (April ish) that goes to 50% off, then what ever doesn't sell goes on permanent discount.
    MED, Large, and anything popular is usually gone the first sale (now), with the stragglers, odd colors or sizes making it to the later (cheaper) sale.
    I don't work there- it could change- just passing an observation.

The sale items still enjoy the same guarantee and return policy as the rest of the stuff. While you may think it's trendy or overpriced (it is) it is still some of the best clothing on the planet.

A few of the best-
    Capeline 1, 2, or 4 (as low as $20)
    Merino 1- rarely on sale
    Houdini jacket (not the alpine)
    R1 fleece
    M10 shell or other rain coats.

CHEAP GEAR BONUS-
    My wife took me into TJ Maxx the other day-
    They had Patagonia, Darn Tuff, Merill, Icebreaker, and several other quality (but factory reject) items for up to 75% off. Mainly Socks for men- but still.
    They had very little mens clothing- but TONS of women's stuff for cheap- they even had a decent backpack!

You never know what they have, you may strike out- but worth a stop- I got a dozen pairs of quality socks ($15-22 per pair) for about $50 with tax.

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Check out the Dick's Sporting Goods clearance too. I got Snacktime's Columbia shell for $30, and a merino baselayer shirt for $20. As expected, it's hit or miss....but man, when you hit you hit big!

Also, Ocean State Job Lot carries a Merino Wool hiking sock that is EXACTLY like REI's version of the merino hiking crew (80%). Their regular price $3.99...NOT seconds. We have lots of these.
    Last edited by Teacher & Snacktime; 01-27-2014 at 21:54.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    Check out the Dick's Sporting Goods clearance too. I got Snacktime's Columbia shell for $30, and a merino baselayer shirt for $20. As expected, it's hit or miss....but man, when you hit you hit big!

Also, Ocean State Job Lot carries a Merino Wool hiking sock that is EXACTLY like REI's version of the merino hiking crew (80%). Their regular price $3.99...NOT seconds. We have lots of these.
    Way ta "Dirt Bag" it Teach.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    They had very little mens clothing- but TONS of women's stuff for cheap- they even had a decent backpack!

for the savings...I got no problem wearing womens clothes...seriously!

Journal Entries
    Images

I noticed, RS. That fuscia puffy looked good on you at Harriman. I'd ditch the leopard tights next time though...they clashed with the camo shorts.

(Snacktime's new pack was an REI Flash52 - women's)
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

REI flash is a good pack for a great price -I started my lightweight journey with that pack !

thanks Just Bill for the heads up. I'll check out the Patagonia sale. Great deal on the socks!

JB, TJ Max really? I'm going to check that out. THX.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Well, I don't wear women's clothes(I'll leave that for you to explore RS, you should fell free to express yourself in this modern age) but I do sometimes trail crash on a Thermarest Women's Neo Air. Hiking buddy brought a pink woman's ProLite 3(old version, it's now ProLite Plus) on a group trip. We ragged on him so much, including me. I stopped the ragging when I finally slept on one. Hey, pretty good idea, IF you can get over the pink color. I met two different hikers that used the old womans pink versions but changed the color(paint, indelible markers) because they felt so conscientiously NOT macho rolling with the pink.

Journal Entries
    Images

oops....duplicate post

Journal Entries
    Images

Made another score at Dick's today....a $129 Primaloft puffy (Koppen) for $36....in orange...perfect for fall/spring (and here I thought I had enough gear!)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    Made another score at Dick's today....a $129 Primaloft puffy (Koppen) for $36....in orange...perfect for fall/spring (and here I thought I had enough gear!)
    Good deal teach. l recently scored 2 pair of practically new hiking shoes at REI's garage sale for $5.83 each.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

TJ Maxx........bazinga!
    Termite fart so much they are responsible for 3% of global methane emissions.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    I prefer skirts and various women's clothing- mainly because it complements my flowing locks and I find my a$$ looks much better.

+1 on the womens Neo-air- an ounce lighter and slightly higher r-value.

Patagonia Sale is on now- cleans out fast.

Journal Entries

REI.com/outlet has super cheap gear, and last years models are just hitting sales as they've been replaced. The REI flash mentioned earlier has been updated, and the old model is on super sale.

Journal Entries
    Images

Jockey has gr8 sales right now to just got me to pairs of skimmies <short leggings like> 22 original price 10 bucks on sale and with my 10 dollar card vip discount walked out spending 90 cents. right now is the time to buy winter gear alotta big sales . i v saved hundreds shopping the sales racks and going outta season stuff

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by AngelEyez View Post
    Jockey has gr8 sales right now to just got me to pairs of skimmies <short leggings like> 22 original price 10 bucks on sale and with my 10 dollar card vip discount walked out spending 90 cents. right now is the time to buy winter gear alotta big sales . i v saved hundreds shopping the sales racks and going outta season stuff
    Yeah...a 95% discount works for me

A little early this year- 50% off patagonia sale now through 2/27

I got good deals recently on a Patagonia down jacket, new snowshoes, cross country ski boots, and a Tilly winter hat. Gotta love clearance sales.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

++ New Posts ++