WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default I don't need any more gear !!!!

Of course, WANT is another thing entirely. What would you choose as one completely unnecessary gear indulgence?

This Sierra Nevada 2 man UL tent I saw at the Mt Rogers Outfitter in Damascus. Everything included and it weighed about 2.5 lbs. It had loads of room and was super easy to set up. And only $400+

Alas, my $69 Kelty Tempest will suffice.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Images

i am finally at the point i can walk in and out of rei and ems without having to buy anything.
    over the years its probably cost me over $10k to get to the $2k worth of gear i really need for 4 season hiking.

Images

Do I really need 11 backpacking cooking pots and 500 feet of para cord and 2mm kermantle

Journal Entries
    Images

I lied....I need a new inflatable pad. My son's dog ate the valve on Snacktime's Stratus when I was unpacking from Harriman. So what's another $100...sigh.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

True, I have what I think is all the necessary things for me to go out in several weather conditions, but if I had to absolutely pick one unnecessary indulgence...I guess it would be...

...this is tough, cause I actually have to carry it...I dunno, maybe one of them fancy over priced nylon water buckets, with the handle. Or a smaller AM/FM radio with weather bands...and short wave...and solar, with crank handle...that cooks my dinner for me...that's all.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

I could really use another backpack...or two...
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    I lied....I need a new inflatable pad. My son's dog ate the valve on Snacktime's Stratus when I was unpacking from Harriman. So what's another $100...sigh.
    what you need is a new dog...hehehe

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    I could really use another backpack...or two...
    you do, you really do, hehehe

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    i am finally at the point i can walk in and out of rei and ems without having to buy anything.
    me, too. except I decided I wanted to try a hammock/tarp setup on my next section hike so I am putting together that setup. the nice thing about that stuff is it really holds its resale value if I decide I want to stay with my tent setup. used gear over on the hammock forum website sells for almost full retail price.

Journal Entries
    Images

001.JPG

He's a ridiculous dufus doggie who eats gear, but he's irreplaceable.

001.JPG

oh I love it...for all the gear in the world.

Me too, I still go though...that's why they call it pack sniffin, and don't seem to mind my strange behaviors.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Me too, I still go though...that's why they call it pack sniffin, and don't seem to mind my strange behaviors.
    oh, i always go anyway. im always looking for a better mouse trap, but im pretty satisfied with my kit, so at worst, i fill in when i find stuff on sale.i replaced my marmot mica at ems last week, was 30% off +i had a $25 coupon.that jkt worked great for me the last few years, but i dont think itll hold up for a thru this year.it would have needed replacement at some point.

over the years its probably cost me over $10k to get to the $2k worth of gear i really need for 4 season hiking.
    Me too. Now I only purchase equipment if something breaks or if I can do an even swap. I don't even have the urge to walk into an outfitter except to see the people and marvel at the things I don't need
    Merry 2012 AT blog
    "Not all those who wander are lost."

oh, i always go anyway. im always looking for a better mouse trap, but im pretty satisfied with my kit, so at worst, i fill in when i find stuff on sale.i replaced my marmot mica at ems last week, was 30% off +i had a $25 coupon.that jkt worked great for me the last few years, but i dont think itll hold up for a thru this year.it would have needed replacement at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Meriadoc View Post
    Me too. Now I only purchase equipment if something breaks or I can do an even swap. I don't even have the urge to walk into an outfitter except to see the people and marvel at the things I don't need
    yep, kinda in the same boat...only buy what I need and replace what breaks with something maybe lighter or new fangled if I'm feeling lucky.

Images

Yea, me too. EMS and REI are no problem. Campmor, now that's another story.

HB, did you replace it with a Marmot Mica or Marmot Super Mica?
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

-

001.JPG

what gear makers need is more dogs like that

LOL You too huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    LOL You too huh?
    That's funny, cause I've seen others in the stores doin the exact same thing, usually we'll make eye contact and nod cause each of us knows...."yeah, just lookin, I don't really need it" all this takes place with no words exchanged.....too funny

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++