WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Who supplements on a thru-hike?

I'm thinking of bringing resveratrol. Unfortunately, if I let one on board, it opens the door of "well... what's one more?"

So I don't think I'm going to bring anything besides vitamin I (ibuprofen).

Thoughts? Should I consider my L glutamine, fish oil, and meth? Just kidding about the meth. I use crack.

I'm bringing fish oil, co q 10, and a multi for sure. I prefer aspirin over ibuprofen and will carry that.

I think I can safely leave my vitamin D at home.

I took a daily multi-vitamin on my 2013 thru, and never got sick the entire trip. Carried 30-40 pills at a time, which didn't weigh much.

The problem with NSAIDs is that it starts out as people saying they're just going to use them in the evening to reduce the pain and swelling. However, what you see in practice on the trail is far different, many people become dependent on these drugs to complete their day's hike; in nearly all cases far exceeding the recommended daily allowance.

Add to that there is more and more information showing just how dangerous these drugs are in the longer term.

I never use them, when I'm feeling pain and swelling I simply walk slower and less mileage. Just one story on the research showing the negative effects: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0111123706.htm

If you diet is deficient, spend your dollars on a better diet rather than a supplement.

Good Luck

Garlic
    Images

I've never used a supplement on a thru hike.

kinda hard to get a balanced diet on the trail.not to mention your dietary needs are very squed.

I would not bring the Resveratrol. There are warnings about this supplement might interact with non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications such as aspirin and ibuprofen and may increase risk of bleeding.

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    kinda hard to get a balanced diet on the trail.not to mention your dietary needs are very squed.
    (I assume that last word is "skewed?")

This is true for many, but I have not found it to be the case for me. I ate on the AT much the same way I eat at home, except sometimes needing to wait a couple of days to get fresh greens in town. I made it a point to carry at least one fresh thing to eat every day, even if only a stalk of celery, a carrot, or a banana. Most C-stores have a few pieces of fruit out. There's a stretch in the mid-Atlantic where I saw a restaurant or grocery every day for ten days straight, and was able to get fresh food consistently there. A good salad is more expensive than a carton of ice cream and that's a tough decision!

But my thru-hiker spouse eats better than I do and she sometimes (very seldom) gets cramps and needs some mineral supplements to help. Every body's different.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

++ New Posts ++