WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

D-o-n-t-f-o-r-g-e-t-t-o-d-r-i-n-k-y-o-u-r-o-v-a-l-t-i-n-e

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Different Socks View Post
    So lemme get this straight: A flavoring packet is too much of a hassle to carry much less take the time required to mix it and drink it b/c it's too sweet, BUT you take along coffee?
    Yes. I don't really understand what you're getting at.
    Mobilis in Mobili

Plain water. But I am still laughing at a couple posts that said the mix was too sweet unless diluted. I was going to explain how to solve the issue but decided that it would be an effort in futility.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Images

Wait, I think I see....or maybe not. I'll try to explain: I don't like sweet beverages, on or off trail. The only way to make flavor packets like the ones I mentioned palatable to me is to dilute the hell out of them. Since, as I mentioned, I only want a few sips of the diluted beverage its not really worth mixing them up. I would either have a bunch of opened powder packets in my food bag or way more beverage than I want to drink, so I don't bother. It's not a hassle to carry. I carried that stuff for several hundred miles but found I didn't really want it. I like to drink nice cool mountain water. I don't add anything to my coffee or tea.
    Mobilis in Mobili

Images

I like a little flavor in my water

Water while hiking, plain Kool-aid with about 20 percent of the recommended sugar added for breaks during the day and dinner and a shot or 2 of bourbon in the evening. While in town chocolate mike and beer.

I also get a 32oz. Gatorade to take out of town. Use the gatorade bottle in addition to my water bladder for water until the next town.
    Pootz 07

Images

Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post
    Plain water. But I am still laughing at a couple posts that said the mix was too sweet unless diluted. I was going to explain how to solve the issue but decided that it would be an effort in futility.
    I think everyone knows the solution to the problem. They just don't want to bother with it since plain water is good enough.

It's another of those things that come down to personal taste. I drink black coffee and wouldn't consider adding cream, sugar, or flavor to it. Some people think that's disgusting and can't understand how I can drink it that way. I just like it that way. I used to manage a coffee shop and couldn't believe the amounts of sugar, cream, flavor syrup and other stuff folks wanted in their coffee. Ugh, not for me!

Adding flavor and other compounds to water can be great for those that like it. It can also be a good way to replenish electrolytes as noted by a lot of posters in this thread.
    Mobilis in Mobili

Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Undershaft View Post
    Yes. I don't really understand what you're getting at.
    Other than the fact that coffee and tea aren't sweet, isn't that still using something to flavor your water? And when drinking the tea, don't you use sweeteners?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Different Socks View Post
    Other than the fact that coffee and tea aren't sweet, isn't that still using something to flavor your water? And when drinking the tea, don't you use sweeteners?
    Oh, I see. Kind of a semantic argument, but I guess technically you are correct. As for the tea I just drink it plain without adding sweeteners. I'm not a fan of artificial sweeteners.
    Mobilis in Mobili

Quote Originally Posted by Happy44 View Post
    as much as hate dogwoods elitist/rich views on his posts here on whiteblaze, i can agree with him on this post completely , nothings is better then the piped water spring deep in the mountains!
    Don't forget I'm also a cyber bully, anti HYOH proponent, pro vegetarian but not anti meat activist, part of the UL goon squad, gold shield carrying member of the environmental police, part of an insider click at National Parks, "highlander", "Whole Paycheck" trail food "enthusiast", and part of the staunch pro NPS/GSMNP caucus!

Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Undershaft View Post
    Wait, I think I see....or maybe not. I'll try to explain: I don't like sweet beverages, on or off trail. The only way to make flavor packets like the ones I mentioned palatable to me is to dilute the hell out of them. Since, as I mentioned, I only want a few sips of the diluted beverage its not really worth mixing them up. I would either have a bunch of opened powder packets in my food bag or way more beverage than I want to drink, so I don't bother. It's not a hassle to carry. I carried that stuff for several hundred miles but found I didn't really want it. I like to drink nice cool mountain water. I don't add anything to my coffee or tea.
    Okay, I gotcha!

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Don't forget I'm also a cyber bully, anti HYOH proponent, pro vegetarian but not anti meat activist, part of the UL goon squad, gold shield carrying member of the environmental police, part of an insider click at National Parks, "highlander", "Whole Paycheck" trail food "enthusiast", and part of the staunch pro NPS/GSMNP caucus!
    Dogwood, you missed it, but we had a meeting...long story short, you're a snooby, elitist jerk.

I protested, but was far outnumbered

i laughed so hard about the UL goon squad because its sooooo true!

Nothing added to drinking water is a tasty as plain old clean clear spring water or water tumbling down a remote brook or from a mountain tarn. Leave it to humans to screw up something so basic as water that is pure, free, clean, clear and refreshing. NOTHING like it can come from a tap(w/ halides - flouride, chlorine compounds, inoculants, antibiotics, etc), or by adding a flavoring, sugar, electrolytes, blah blah blah. I really miss it every time after a hike.
    I Mostly agree
    Wholeheartedly, yet there's this
    16 Men of Tain

And it would appear, someone with a great sense of humor.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris View Post
    And it would appear, someone with a great sense of humor.
    What's not to love about Dogwood? He is funny! DW- ur no cyber bully! He gets the award for the L O N G E S T posts!

Ha Ha DB... you got a point about Just Bill... how could I forget? It's great!
    Last edited by HikerMom58; 01-30-2014 at 21:16. Reason: I saw DB's post! :)

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMom58 View Post
    What's not to love about Dogwood? He is funny! DW- ur no cyber bully! He gets the award for the L O N G E S T posts!
    No way, that goes to Just Bill.......I'm waiting for his to come out in paper back.

As long as you're not a spelling Nazi and I can still love ya man.

I bought some energy drink mix at Walmart, dont remember the name except it had a big X on it, very tasty and did help get me up the hills.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    I bought some energy drink mix at Walmart, dont remember the name except it had a big X on it, very tasty and did help get me up the hills.

I bought some Mio and walmart brand liquid electrolyte mix at a walmart once when I was on way to the trailhead, and couldnt find my ziplock with drink mix in it.

The Mio was fine, the walmart brand tasted OK, but the color went away after a few hours. It turned to debris swimming around in the bottom . wont be buying that again..ever.

I might carry some gatorade out of town but its usually because I want the bottle, but other than that I drink plain water because like you said its not worth filtering a quart of water just to clean out the bottle...filtering water is the chore I hate the most on the trail and I'm not looking for ways to do more of it. Other kinds of beverages are like town food, I fill up on them when I'm in town.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++