WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Last gear check. What have I forgotten?

My geargrams: http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=16550

I've got nearly everything in line and ready at this point. That list includes some winter gear that will be dropped at various points. I have the extra sleeping pad for the Smokies and will be dropping it immediately afterwards. I've heard that Damascus is the best spot to drop any other unneeded winter gear, so more than likely the pantagonia nano puff, gloves, base layers?, and the underquilt will be sent home.

I am still tweaking the first aid pack. I've got some more stuff coming in smaller sizes to reduce the weight on it. A few things still haven't arrived yet so I'm using the website listed weights, which may be wrong.

And the last thing I'm still undecided on is the backpack rain cover. I will definitely have a trash compactor for the inside to insure dryness, but I may also replace the pack cover entirely for a Packa. This would allow me to dump the precip in Damascus as well.

Tell me what I've forgotten! (please )

Your gear looks pretty good.
    You have to decide what you want and don't want but I won't drop any cold weather gear till after Mt. Rodgers it can still get pretty cold out.
    I always make the change if I do at Pearsburg VA.
    HYOH and have a great time.
    You didn't say when your starting.
    EZ-DOES-IT

Life has no remote. Get up and change it yourself!

I was planning for a mid March starting point, but it seems like it will more than likely be April 1st. Right in time to leave with the huge bubble.

Quote Originally Posted by dustinpn View Post
    I was planning for a mid March starting point, but it seems like it will more than likely be April 1st. Right in time to leave with the huge bubble.
    I was looking to edit my post but can't find a way to do it so here is my question for you why are you going to send home your UQ ?
    From what I read in your post you gong to have a pad for the Smokies and then send that home then when you send home some or all of your cold weather gear your UQ ????
    Your going to sleep in your hammock with no pad and no UQ ???
    Don't think this is a good idea but again HYOH .
    I would want to make sure I sleep comfortable and warm.
    My UQ is staying with me all the way it cold in those mountains especially in a hammock.
    EZ-DOES-IT

Life has no remote. Get up and change it yourself!

The UQ will stay as long as it is necessary, the pad will go immediately following the Smokies. I doubt all the cold weather stuff will be shipped off at once, but I figure at some point during the summer it will get hot enough to not need the UQ, of course I could be wrong.

List looks good. Definitely cut AWOL in pieces, not just for weight savings but also in case water finds a way into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Leanthree View Post
    List looks good. Definitely cut AWOL in pieces, not just for weight savings but also in case water finds a way into it.
    It makes my heart sad to cut a book into pieces, but it might come down to it. I hadn't thought about it as a deterrent to water damage, but it makes sense.

Images

Your list looks pretty good. Only you can decide how much clothing you will need to stay dry and warm. A few things I carried on my thru hike: 2nd lighter or matches for back up, Bug spray, camp shoes, bandanna, Hand Sanitizer, plastic trowel for digging cat holes. Washing your hands with soap is inconvenient most of the time.

I also carried a gatoraid bottle for drinking most of the time. I also used mine for heating hot water to help keep my sleeping bag warm(put it in a zip lock for extra spill protection. Boiling water can damage a gatoraid bottle so be sure to just use hot water.

I also dropped my cold weather gear in Damascus, but was cold a couple nights(no big deal)

Feel free to message me, I am a gear nut.

Enjoy your hike.
    Pootz 07

Journal Entries

You can get AWOL"s book in loose leaf form and only carry what you need. If you are like me, I keep notes on the pages and send the used pages home. When I finish I still have the whole book.
    Blackheart

dustinpn - My gear list and yours are pretty darn close. Brands may differ, but items match up. I am not bringing a kilt though; i may regret that. The one suggestion that was made for me was a small umbrella. I would never have thought of that myself, but a thru-hiker friend said it was his favorite unconventional piece of equipment. He thru'd in 2001. I think there is a thread somewhere else on here regarding umbrellas, too. HYOH!

It makes my heart sad to cut a book into pieces, but it might come down to it. I hadn't thought about it as a deterrent to water damage, but it makes sense.
    Buy the loose-leaf version. No crying necessary.

I had the loose-leaf version w/ me on the hike (I divided it into 4 sections; only carried the section I needed at the time). The boss had her bound copy @ home. When necessary, we could refer to the book & both be on the same sheet of music.

I've met thru hikers who took umbrellas, GoLite sells an ultralite umbrella that some like. I can see the reasons, but I would not carry one, they don't stand up in high winds, more weight that only you can decide if you want to carry.

good list. You will be able to pick up other small personal hygiene/first aid items along the trail as you need them... like: insect repellent, sun screen, chap-stick, dental floss. I've used a half dozen different style pack covers for 50-70L size backpacks, everything from silnylon to cuben fiber pack covers. My favorite now is the Sea to Summit ultralite pack cover. The Osprey pack covers are nice too. I've tried just getting by with a trash compactor bag inside my pack, without a pack cover.... and for me it didn't work that great, still had stuff getting damp/wet inside my pack from condensation, so I just go with the pack cover now.... and use Sea to Summit or OR waterproof stuff sacks for clothing and sleeping bag inside my pack.... and I use a bunch of ziplock baggies for my misc. stuff. You taking a cellphone w/charger? Wallet? anyways have a great hike!

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

It can get very cold in Grayson Highlands area. I would't send home winter gear until May. I recall Memorial Day weekend last summer where all the hikers got 40 degree plus summer weight bags and froze in Shenandoah when the weather dipped into the 30s (which is rare of course).

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Keep it in a plastic bag and it will be fine. I was also reluctant to break my book apart. I kept it intact and now it is the record of my journey with notes about sites visited and places camped.
    Merry 2012 AT blog
    "Not all those who wander are lost."

Quote Originally Posted by Meriadoc View Post
    Keep it in a plastic bag and it will be fine. I was also reluctant to break my book apart. I kept it intact and now it is the record of my journey with notes about sites visited and places camped.
    I had the loose leaf version for 2012, but found it was too easy to get pages mixed up. I bought and cut the 2014 guide just yesterday. Easy to do with an exacto knife.

You'll probably want a new guide each year anyway so cutting shouldn't be any great lose.

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    It can get very cold in Grayson Highlands area. I would't send home winter gear until May. I recall Memorial Day weekend last summer where all the hikers got 40 degree plus summer weight bags and froze in Shenandoah when the weather dipped into the 30s (which is rare of course).
    I remember that weekend well. Was on a section hike down here north of Winding Stair Gap (NC). We had frost at Siler's Bald Shelter. Very unusual for that time of year.

The UQ will stay as long as it is necessary, the pad will go immediately following the Smokies. I doubt all the cold weather stuff will be shipped off at once, but I figure at some point during the summer it will get hot enough to not need the UQ, of course I could be wrong.
    I've never found it warm enough to forego an UQ or pad. You might want to consider an IX insulated UQ for the summer months....real light and not too expensive....good down to about the 40s.

++ New Posts ++