WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default The Whites in June - what are they "normally" like?

Three of us will be doing a section hike this year (2014) starting at Great Barrington, MA (~May 15 - 20) and heading north. We figure we'll be hitting The Whites ~3 weeks later. Based on a "normal" year, what will the weather be like in The Whites when we reach them? Thanks in advance.

There is no normal in the Whites. When I went over Mt Washington it was 67 degrees. 6 days before it was 30 and snowing. Prepare for the worst.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Buggy for sure, the mosquitos will be out down low and the backflies will move their way up to summits. A good time for a tent with bug netting and DEET.

You still might see some snowy patches but mostly for curiosity. The weather may still be stuck in spring mode which is a 3 day rotation, rain one day clearing the next, a sunny day and then rain. Later in the month you can get the switch over a hot and spell for several days with haze and afternoon thundershowers.

Then again it has snowed every month of the year on Washington. Plan on a range of 30 degrees to 90 degrees and you will be all set

Images

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    Buggy for sure, the mosquitos will be out down low and the backflies will move their way up to summits. A good time for a tent with bug netting and DEET.

You still might see some snowy patches but mostly for curiosity. The weather may still be stuck in spring mode which is a 3 day rotation, rain one day clearing the next, a sunny day and then rain. Later in the month you can get the switch over a hot and spell for several days with haze and afternoon thundershowers.

Then again it has snowed every month of the year on Washington. Plan on a range of 30 degrees to 90 degrees and you will be all set
    My thoughts also, I hit cancel waiting for a natives call on June in the Whites.............I go nowhere near northern New England in June!!!! And too damn muggy in southern New England!

Hard tell'en, not know'en.

Late May/early June is the tail end of mud season in these parts. Vermud is at it's worst about then. It can rain a lot and the trails can be really sloppy. And if it's not cold and rainy, the Black Flies will be swarming and looking for blood. You'll probably hit them at about thier peak. Not quite the very worst time of year to be hiking around here, but close.

Assuming it's an average or typical year that is. Exactly what it will be like is anyones guess at this point. I'll be hiking in Virginia late May and into June were the weather and trail conditions should be a whole lot more pleasent...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/normals.php

Higher summits and above treeline will typically be about 5 to 10 deg warmer, and somewhat less windy, than the Mt. Washington summit itself. That said, it isn't the norms that dictate the gear required, it's the wide range of temps and winds that do. Be prepared to hike in 20° lower than average temps and in 40 - 50 mph winds if necessary. In the event of really extreme weather in the Whites you simply get off the mountain/ridge and below treeline and wait it out. You just do not want to be up there under those conditions. You MUST check the weather forecast whenever possible from Glencliff to Gorham for the higher summits forecast http://www.mountwashington.org/weath...t_forecast.php

That said, the flies and mud will likely be your biggest issues.

Thanks for the replies. Last time I hiked the Whites it was mid-July and I was very fortunate. Except for nightly rains that kept the rocks wet and slippery and a thunder and lightning storm that almost fried my butt as started my descent down Madison, I had great weather through the Whites. In fact, the Whites provided much needed relief from the heat and humidity at lower levels. Of course, I carried most of my winter gear through. I was particularly wondering if we should expect residual winter snow, and if so, how deep and how much rain gets dumped at the higher elevations during that time. I know there's always a chance for snow. Thanks for the info about the Black Flies, I forgot about them. I figured we'd hit the worst of the mud season in Vermont around that time. What I'm gathering thus far is, the timeframe I provided probably isn't the best to be in that part of New England.

What I'm gathering thus far is, the timeframe I provided probably isn't the best to be in that part of New England.
    Yea, it isn't the best time. Fall is the best time. I once did the Long Trail SOBO starting June 1st. I will NEVER make that mistake again.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Yea, it isn't the best time. Fall is the best time. I once did the Long Trail SOBO starting June 1st. I will NEVER make that mistake again.
    Not the best time. But not the absolute worst - a lot better than April or May. You will have bugs and mud, probably some lingering snow on the north slopes, but you will also probably have some really nice weather as well as some bad weather. Just the way it is especially in early June. We only have three seasons in NH: Mud, July, and Winter

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

I was always chomping at the bit to go backpacking when I lived up there. June was buggy, hot at time and lingering snow on north facing areas...but I was out backpacking!!!

Good times.

Just bring the bug dope.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

They're often still skiing Tuckerman's Ravine (East side of Mt. Washington) in June. Should tell you something.
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

Images

You never can tell, but typically, Mothers Day brings the black flies and Fathers Day brings the skeeters. Mud should be dried up by early June, for the most part, but then again, you never can tell.
    Greg P.

Garlic
    Images

I hit the Whites earlier than I expected on my thru hike, in late June. No real snow to contend with by then, and it was the tail end of the black fly season, but the mud was definitely a factor. Creek crossings were an issue, too. It was wetter than normal that year. As everyone else says, who knows?

I also was planning on hiking the Whites in early June, NOBO. How much foot traffic is there the first week of June? I hammock and was planning on stealth camping every night except for the night before I go over Mt. Washington. I plan to stay at Lake of the Clouds Hut that night. I have a really nice 10 degree Marmot bag that I was planning on taking, but it sounds like it may be a little on the warm side. Any recommended bag temperatures?

Quote Originally Posted by BarKiller View Post
    I also was planning on hiking the Whites in early June, NOBO. How much foot traffic is there the first week of June? I hammock and was planning on stealth camping every night except for the night before I go over Mt. Washington. I plan to stay at Lake of the Clouds Hut that night. I have a really nice 10 degree Marmot bag that I was planning on taking, but it sounds like it may be a little on the warm side. Any recommended bag temperatures?
    Over all, traffic is on the light side as most people stay away from here until at least July. In early June it will be either cool and wet or warm with swarms of black flies, or a combination of the two. Either way a good reason to stay away. Even so, the AMC huts will be reasonably busy.

Steath camping with a hammock is more practical then with a tent, but your choices of where you can camp are still limited. You will have to camp fairly low on the mountains to find suitable trees. Higher up the forest gets to be very dense spruce trees and thier not very tall either. You have to camp below where tree are on average at least 8 feet tall. When the trees start to get shorter then 8 ft your are nearing tree line and camping is forbiden up there. Don't-even-think-about-it. You will have to plan very carefully where you might camp. I have no suggestions as I am a firm beliver in using offical, designated camping sites and you really should too.

Be ready for temps which can dip into the 30's.

You should get a really good topo map of the area. We have a maze of trails and you don't want to wander off on the wrong trail.

++ New Posts ++