WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Rain Man - thank you for the link to "Then the Hail Came". I did Springer to Erwin in late 70s so it rings true for me.
    CVT

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

Thanks for all the good suggestions.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MkBibble View Post
    I forgot about As Far As The Eye Can See. Another good one. Thanks TOW. Rain Man, I have started and stopped Then the Hail Came an number of times. I am not a fan of reading it on the computer... that's a shame too, because it really is a good story. Maybe I should just print out a couple chapters at a time and leave them in the "library" where I often read.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckT View Post
    Rain Man - thank you for the link to "Then the Hail Came". I did Springer to Erwin in late 70s so it rings true for me.
    Agree that "Then The Hail Came" should be in book form! Great memoir, which I've read more than once. Of course, being an online journal/book means one can capture it, convert to pdf, then put it on a smart phone or other book reader. I'm guessing. Can't do that easily with paper books.

Also agree that "As Far As the Eye Can See" is in a small group at the top of my list.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

I got this for Christmas last year. Finished it by New Years. It is not a memoir about hiking the trail, but a big "coffee table book" about the AT (history, etc...). Published by the ATC.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Appalachia...alachian+trail

Hi! I've got probably 150 AT books here & would like to sell some-if you are looking for something in particular ask. Thanks-pm me please or E mail [email protected]

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rambunny View Post
    Hi! I've got probably 150 AT books here & would like to sell some-if you are looking for something in particular ask. Thanks-pm me please or E mail [email protected]
    Rambunny, I've had my live-at-home daughter cataloging my AT books for the past couple of days. I've got over a hundred. Will send you a list and when you get time and if you want, let me know what you have that I don't and we'll make a deal.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

Then the hail came (title says it all), a walk in the woods (very funny), southbound, AWOL on the AT (best detail of any AT book)
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    What is the best book about the Appalachian Trail that you have read? The kind of book that you didn't want to put down until you finished.
    best - A Walk in the Woods (the first half - toward the end I was ready to put it down)
    don't want to put down - Then the Hail Came (can you put an online book down?)

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TOW View Post
    As Far As The Eye Can See

Crazy Larry
    This is my favorite, I just started reading it for a second time.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    "A walk in the woods".
    A walk in the woods is probably the most entertaining and least accurate book about hiking the A.T., I highly recommend it, but keep in mind that it is largely fiction.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    I enjoyed both of The Barefoot Sisters books and really liked the writing style: Southbound and Walking Home

Noone has mentioned Model T's Walking on the Happy Side of Misery

I thought that Jennifer Pharr Davis' first book, Becoming Odyssa, was well done and perfect for my new-to-backpacking 21-yo daughter. I have yet to read 46 Days.
    These are my picks, too, although I enjoyed Southbound more than Walking Home.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Marta View Post
    These are my picks, too, although I enjoyed Southbound more than Walking Home.
    Agreed....
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

I just read Bryson's "A Walk in the Woods."

It's a good read. I may even watch the movie now. I've never read anything else by Bryson. He's a good writer. And funny.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Quote Originally Posted by One Half View Post
    I just read Bryson's "A Walk in the Woods."

It's a good read. I may even watch the movie now. I've never read anything else by Bryson. He's a good writer. And funny.
    I liked the book, but was disappointed by the movie.

If you can find the audiobook narrated by Bill Bryson, it is very entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuxhiker View Post
    I read a walk in the woods, walking in the woods.
    I hiked up to weaverton cliffs and read awhile, then walked to the Ed Garvey camped and read awhile.

Next day I walked in the woods to the David Lessoner shelter and camped and read awhile and actually finished the book a couple days. I ended up leaving there at the shelter for the next interested.

And I met my first thru hiking south bound cat on that trip , no lie.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuxhiker View Post
    This is so true...unfortunately, the only audio version narrated by him (that I know of) is an abridged version, which is disappointing. Even so, there really is no one better suited to read Bryson than Bryson.
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TwoSpirits View Post
    This is so true...unfortunately, the only audio version narrated by him (that I know of) is an abridged version, which is disappointing. Even so, there really is no one better suited to read Bryson than Bryson.
    Yeah, that is unfortunate.

But he does narrate a bunch of his other books in full; I've read a half dozen BB books, here they are in order of my enjoyment:

A Brief history of Nearly Everything - Fantastic, I've read it 3 times now (actual book), the audio version is NOT narrated by him though.

In a Sunburned country - fantastic and funny, it's all about Australia. Narrated by BB himself.

Walk in the Woods - I really enjoyed reading this, and again, have done so many times now; disclaimer: I really enjoyed the movie as well, unlike many on here; there were plenty of ridiculous moments in the movie to be sure, but enough moments that reflected what life is like on the trail.

One Summer; America 1927 - Very interesting book. I think I'm going to get the audio version and "re-read" it. Narrated by BB himself.

The Mother Tongue - Very interesting treatise on our English language and how it became the most dominant language in terms of global business. Not narrated by BB. Beware, for the gentler ears/eyes on here: the book has an entire chapter devoted to the F word, basically because of its extreme diversity of use. Kind of fun if you're not put off by it.

Notes from a Small Island - Basically, BB is talking about his time spent in England. My least favorite, but still enjoyable. Narrated by BB himself.

So, a book that looks fantastic and is narrated by BB himself looks great and I'm buying it right soon: The Body; A Guide for Occupants. I'll have it for my upcoming long hikes.

Yes -- "The Body: A Guide for Occupants" is a great audio book for a long hike...as is "A Short History of Nearly Everything" (though not narrated by Bryson.

Back to the original topic: I really wanted to like The Barefoot Sisters, but the writing just didn't grab me -- as is the case with 98% of the hiking books I've read. I would agree that "Walking With Spring" is almost required reading (although it too is not exactly great literature....) "Just Passin' Thru" is very enjoyable. Unlike many people here, I also enjoyed Cheryl Strayed's "Wild" -- though "enjoyed" is perhaps not the right word, as it is often painful and uncomfortable (same for the movie, which I thought was phenomenal on many levels.)
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TwoSpirits View Post
    Y
    Back to the original topic: I really wanted to like The Barefoot Sisters, but the writing just didn't grab me -- as is the case with 98% of the hiking books I've read. I would agree that "Walking With Spring" is almost required reading (although it too is not exactly great literature....) "Just Passin' Thru" is very enjoyable. Unlike many people here, I also enjoyed Cheryl Strayed's "Wild" -- though "enjoyed" is perhaps not the right word, as it is often painful and uncomfortable (same for the movie, which I thought was phenomenal on many levels.)
    Sorry for the divergence.... anyway, yeah, those are good, except I never tried Barefoot Sisters. I think it was "walking with spring" that really got me to actually hike the AT.

Have you read any of Skywalker's books? He's a very entertaining writer. Bill Walker, 7 feet tall, hence the obvious trail name "Skywalker".

https://www.amazon.com/Skywalker-Clo.../dp/1460999428

He's written numerous long-trail books, AT, PCT, Camino Santiago, others. I like his modest, self-deprecating style. My wife and I read his PCT version to each other on an AT LASH some years ago. Good entertainment.

Yes -- read Skywalker's AT book and did enjoy that one. I actually met him up in Maine in 2014 when I was starting my attempt at a SOBO and he was starting a SOBO section. He checked into the AT Lodge in Millinocket, and the few of us who were there had to keep from staring at him. The guy is TALL! He had a room next to mine and I think the poor guy was up half the night struggling with the bed because it had a footboard...he ended up sleeping on the floor. Nice guy, too.
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++