WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by pipsissewa View Post
    I use bottles like this for short trips:

Attachment 25765
    Ditto!
    They seal pretty tight, and the spout is convenient.
    They are pretty rugged too.
    I only boil water once a day, so for me 8 oz will last a week+.

I am using 4oz & 8oz wide mouth Nalgene bottles. Both are labeled ** POISON **

Keep them in a zip lock bag cause I can't think of any reason not to. Never leaked.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjam View Post
    I usually just carry mine in the yellow heet bottle I bought it in.
    Me too. I wrap plumber's tape around the top, no leaks.

Dont know if it's been said yet as not going to read every post a 6 oz (actually holds 7 fluid ozs) softish plastic bottle w/ tight fitting flat topped harder plastic screw cap(NO leaks) bought from a hair supply place having 1/2 oz and 30 ml measurements already graduated printed firmly on the sides for thru-hikes which offer 14 total boils using 1/2 oz HEET per 1 1/2 cup boil in a Zelph Venom. The bottle nests perfectly in the Venom inside a Fosters can or Snow Peak Ti Mini Solo with room for a foldable Toaks TI spork, mini Bic (or Mg flint), micro Sea to Summit ditty cloth (used for various tasks), graduated plastic plungered syringe (given free at a pharmacy, they give them out there for dispensing liquid medicine, still looking for the smaller ones I've seen aND used to have several of that are not plungered but are squeezable plastic bulb type), and 22 ft of ZPacks line for bear bagging. I often jam a clean pr of Smartwool PhD's in there too.

For shorter hikes I have 4 oz and 2 oz upright slender plastic bottles. If you order a nice Zelph made alchy stove a nesting UL 4.5 oz bottle w/ tight fitting screw top foldING nipple dispensing cap and Nyquil type measuring cups are thrown in.

Quote Originally Posted by wamodr01 View Post
    About how many fluid ounces do you carry at a time? I know fuel consumption varies by stove and what meal you are cooking, but if I plan to use a penny can stove just for boiling water, about how boils would a 16 or 20oz coke bottle full of denatured alcohol last?
    I carry the least amount of fuel required for the trip or between known resupplying. I might even carry a few ozs less than anticipated expecting to heat/boil water a few times in a very small very contained warming/heating campfire. To me one of the advantages of alchy stoves is the ability to really gram weenie fuel (a consumable) usage especially desirable on shorter SUL trips.

You should best know your specific fuel needs based on your stove, cooking, abilities, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolex View Post
    I noticed this on this weekend. I usually use the trangia filled. And a 4 oz plastic bottle. And for a longer trip, one of the common red bottles (msr?) filled with yellow heet. I had already shipped the red bottle out and still had quite a bit left in the yellow heet bottle. So I put it in a ziplock, put it in my pack deliberately upside down. When camped, I left it on the ground on its side and dropped it a couple of times on purpose. It never leaked. I need to weigh it vs the 4 oz bottle that fits in my pot kit but I may not even carry the red fuel bottle any more.
    1) HEET bottles tend to leak around the opened caps

2) Might be on a short trip where only 1 or 2 oz of HEET arerequired so why should one carry a larger or heavier bottle than needed? To me this counters one of the reasons to use an alchy stove which is to minimize carrying uneeded fuel wt, container wt, or volume of such container. Think about it. Cant carry just 2 to 4 nights isobutane (compressed gas) always so readily. Also, think about the wt and volume of a can even if you do have a partial can of iso. I know it's not a prime concern for everyone but it is for those gram weenieing.

3) For those who want to have all their cooking stuff together in the most compacted space the shape of HEET bottles may interfere with that goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Foresight View Post
    Serious question here....WTH is wrong with the plastic bottle that HEET comes in?
    Sorry to Rolex. Last post was in reply to the question fromForesight.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Sorry to Rolex. Last post was in reply to the question fromForesight.
    No worries. Reminded me to go find my Trangia kit and blow the cobwebs off of it!
    I too have went over to the isobutane dark side it seems.
    Rolex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    1) HEET bottles tend to leak around the opened caps
    Be careful not to tear the foil seal on the HEET bottle top. This video shows how to open the bottle and apply the dispense cap.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
++ New Posts ++