WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default To Shelter or Not To Shelter

Shelters are great to duck into when you happen to be near one in a downpour. For sleeping, resting, and waiting out long spells of poor hiking weather I much prefer my tent. No offense intended, but I do not get why many prefer the snoring, talking, farting, dogs, meeces, early departures, late arrivals, etc. that are to be expected in shelters. So I'd like to hear from you shelter lovers and other enlightened observers. Why do people choose to sleep in shelters?

Fort Thomas, Ky. (Land of Milk and Honey!)

Shelters are good for logging your progress along the AT. I totally agree with your assessments. I spent one night in a shelter and I think I experienced everything you mentioned above.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Much as I like people, I don't think I'd care to sleep with strangers, sleeping near friends is different though, it's like family, so until I get to know ya...(which doesn't take long) I prefer to tent.

Quote Originally Posted by aficion View Post
    Why do people choose to sleep in shelters?
    If I may take the liberty to speak for them...They are too lazy to look for a spot, then too lazy to set up their tent and they don't like bending down.

Am I right or what

Images

i suspect it has partially to do with comfort in numbers, a fear of sleeping alone in the woods.

Son Driven
    Journal Entries

Not to shelter, because I snore, and do not care so much for the shelter mice.
    03/07/13 - 10/07/13 Flip flop AT thru hike "It is well with my soul"

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    If I may take the liberty to speak for them...They are too lazy to look for a spot, then too lazy to set up their tent and they don't like bending down.

Am I right or what
    Lol! I can't imagine you are wrong :-) and if someone says otherwise, not sure I'm buying it.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

I have only spent two nights in a shelter on Bald Face Mt. and my brother and I just happened to be the only two people for those to nights. I enjoyed it very much but, unless it's down pouring I prefer a tent and the privacy. It is however nice to be in the shelter and watching the rain or snow in quarters that aren't so cramped, where you can stand and stretch so, I guess depending on the circumstances, I'm a fan of both.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Damn Yankee View Post
    I have only spent two nights in a shelter on Bald Face Mt. and my brother and I just happened to be the only two people for those to nights. I enjoyed it very much but, unless it's down pouring I prefer a tent and the privacy. It is however nice to be in the shelter and watching the rain or snow in quarters that aren't so cramped, where you can stand and stretch so, I guess depending on the circumstances, I'm a fan of both.
    I can see where in that circumstance, they may have appeal, and I guess if you carry a tent, you still have the option to shelter it here or there if it looks like you will get those conditions.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    i suspect it has partially to do with comfort in numbers, a fear of sleeping alone in the woods.
    I suppose that is right. It is ironic though when one's choice of sleeping quarters is a bonafide mouse, skunk, coon, bear magnet. I mean you are sleeping where the critters you fear come for food.

Images

i like to choose the people/animals i sleep with.

I don't like to sleep in shelter at all. I like my tent. I don't think the shelters should all be torn down. I don't look down on anyone that sleeps in them.
    Some can be quite nasty/dirty looking but some are quite nice.

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMom58 View Post
    I don't like to sleep in shelter at all. I like my tent. I don't think the shelters should all be torn down. I don't look down on anyone that sleeps in them.
    Some can be quite nasty/dirty looking but some are quite nice.
    Do you look down on the ones that sleep in the nasty dirty shelters....Rhetorical....

Do you look down on the ones that sleep in the nasty dirty shelters....Rhetorical....
    Only if they are not nice.

Ha! I think the shelters on the AT mimic the levels of "nasty" with "hiker trash". It's all different but in the end you find that you can love them all. Just because....

Alright shelter-haters, if you're going to ask the question, get out of the way and give those the question is addressed to a chance to answer.

I sleep in shelters. Not all the time, but probably abit over half the time. If its crowded I'll move on, most of the time, especially if there is enough daylight to get to another campsite/water source.

I look at sleeping in shelters sortof like hiker feeds. I'm not always looking for them, but if they're available, why not enjoy it. And maybe I'm a bit tougher than you whiners. :-P

I like the shelters for trail markers, the fact that water is close, and maybe a little for some socializing. I carry a tent and prefer to pick my own spot to lay my head for the night. Have stayed in shelters, but only for safety from major wind storms. The tornado-y kind. Even then it was more psychological. Pretty sure the shelter would of just flown away with me in it. I get it though. Some like shelters, some like tents. Hiking is freedom, so I prefer to freely pick my own spot
    "Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today" jimmy dean

If no one likes sleeping in shelters, why are they always full?

Last year between Springer and Marion, VA the only shelters I stayed in were in the Smokies. Not because I didn't want to sleep in a shelter, but because there was never any room.

Thru hikers nearly always opt for staying in a shelter - it is just so much easier. Which is why thier always bummed if they get to a shelter and find it full of some group or other.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

From looking at my TJ, I can say that I stay in shelters 90 percent of the time. I plan my trips so that I end up at shelters.
    I sleep better in shelters.
    I like picnic tables.
    I like having a crapper.
    I like bear boxes and bear cables.
    I like that I don't have to take up time and energy to set up or pack up a camp.
    I like to be able to have a dry place to gather myself in the morning.
    I like to carry only a very light. cheezy emergency tent.
    I like the friendship of other hikers in shelters.
    So far I have avoided hiking with the so called bubble. I would like more, bigger and better shelters on the Appalachian Trail

The people I've encountered that prefer shelters do so because it's simpler! No tent to setup at night and to pack up the next morning!
    Ive never considered the fear aspect that someone mentioned but that could be a part of making a shelter their preference!
    I on the other hand would never choose to sleep in one for all the reasons stated above! HYOH

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++