WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

I like to make fun of shelters, but when it's been raining for three days and everything I'm carrying is cold and wet then they suddenly become rather inviting.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Journal Entries
    Images

It would take a Hurricane to push me into one....
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

Shelters are part of the trail and were built for the trail, I use them each night I can for their simplicity. Tired at the end of a long day is easier at a shelter than compelling yourself to set up a tent. But when I must tent I do, yet first choice is a shelter. And out of all the people I met at shelters there were few I didn't want to be around because of odors, snoring, dogs, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    I can't put a % on it...stuff happens.....I carry the Hooch. Some shelters are nice, clean maybe empty, nice view, bad weather....I'm in. A dump, dirty, buggy, mousey, nice night to cowboy, too many stinky thrus....I'm tarpin' it!
    Who are you kidding, Coach? You're going to find the nearest fire tower and hunker "up" there!
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Many good points have been made by many good folks. After thinking through it all, I believe it boils down to where can I get the best night's sleep. The answer my friend, is in my tent.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Illabelle- nice work young lady!

As a mid-westerner- shelters are a novelty that I enjoy. Since I rarely encounter, let alone get a chance to stay in one I don't mind em, and for you crust buckets, if Benton got his way it would be much worse.
    Since I camp wherever and whenever more often than not, I don't feel insecure about using a shelter if I choose.
    I think the shelter experience is tremendously different for those in the typical herd verses off season travel or less popular stretches of trail.
    Weekday versus weekender is different too.
    I was shocked to find the southern shelters were not mouse invested pits of filth if you visit them in the off season.
    (A bit controversial)- I find the northern shelters to generally be nicer than the southern ones.
    Let's be honest- we all have crappy days and want to take a 1000mg pill of ****itol (made by Merck) and a shelter is just what the doctor ordered.

One of the best and most unique things about the AT are it's community and social aspects- part of which center around the shelter system and newspaper (registers). I've had more than a few dozen unique, small crowd if not one on one stays with amazing people I would never have met from all over the world. I've stayed solo in a shelter dozens of times. Even if I just poke in for dinner, a wash up, a little chatting and move on- I'm rarely if ever unhappy I did. There are plenty of places to go and ways to travel without seeing a soul- but that place is not the AT- and the shelters are a big reason for that.

I will say one thing- perhaps the most important- Choosing to stay in a shelter is one thing. Having to stay in a shelter is another.
    I never look down on someone who chooses to stay, but often find myself looking down on someone who has to.

I like that.. And everything else JB writes of course! Oh but JB, "the south" has the Bryant Ridge Shelter... never forget!

-

reoccurring theme in this thread: I do not like shelters/ but use them in bad weather conditions ( when of course all the other crusty shelter haters are also there ) - which means I only experience them at the worst - so I like them even less

rinse - repeat .........

Images

When I began my trek on the AT for some reason, almost every night I had the shelter to myself. March, cold, no mice, no bugs, worked out OK

It is nice having a picnic table to sit at, hang food bag in shelter, then tent away from the shelter. Have people to converse with, if not a good vibe or fun, head into my tent.

Most times I stealth camp but shelters do have some advantages. Spring 2013 with the nasty norovirus, I stayed away from everything!

On trails that I've thrued where there are shelters(AT, LT, PT, NPT, etc) when I wasn't required to always stay in shelters I haven't stayed in shelters every night nor camped away from shelters every night. I like mixing it up. It doesn't have to be an all shelters or all tenting/hammocking/bivying/tarping/cowboying options. I mix it up as suits me. Sometimes I like the convenience and comraderie of shelters especially when they aren't jammed pack.

How many "shelters" are on the PCT and CDT?

Images

Gotta agree with you on that one. I'm sure once I get back out on the trail, the views of the people I see and meet will not be so changed since 1992 as many try to lead me to believe here on WB.

Images

Total combined? I'd say less than 1 doz for all 5900 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by aficion View Post
    Many good points have been made by many good folks. After thinking through it all, I believe it boils down to where can I get the best night's sleep. The answer my friend, is in my tent.
    Agree. I've slept in shelters but don't remember ever getting a good night's rest in one. I will say that Overmountain was pretty nice after walking 24 miles in pouring rain, cold, high winds and arriving at dark.

Images

I will stop in to shelters for lunch or to grab a snack if the timing is right, but I don't often sleep in them. I enjoy hiking as much as possible, and they never seem to be close at the end of the day. I usually stop at dusk. I also love sunrises, so I enjoy camping high and getting up to watch the sun rise. I am also a VERY light sleeper, and my experiences so far have made shelters a poor choice for me. If there are multiple days of bad weather, and I have not had a chance to dry out gear, I will sometimes stay in a shelter.

What I have seen in Georgia at the beginning of thru-hiker season is that many inexperienced hikers use the shelters as a security blanket. They rush to the next shelter to beat the crowds and stake out their spot, cramming in as many people as they can fit.

Then later in the season there are the thru-hikers that don't carry tents. I have no sympathy for these people.

I usually only stay in a shelter when I want to make a fast getaway in the morning, like the last day of a section. And I apologize for waking other hikers at 5 AM, but I do it anyway.

Its much more efficient to hike the best distance for each day, regardless of where the shelter may be, as long as camping is permitted. Use them for water and cooking and socializing, then move on.

I would love to see the shelters disappear - instead have tent platforms around a picnic table where the shelter used to be, with bear cables and privies. But I know that's never going to happen...

Forrest

From reading this thread it would seem that most people like to avoid them. It sure doesn't seem that way out on the trail. They are mighty popular.

There are advantages and disadvantages of shelters. Many people who say they won't stay in them change their mind when it's pouring rain and their trail friends are waiting for them there.

I usually camped for the reasons people have stated, but maybe once a week stayed at a shelter for the reasons people have given. I often took breaks at shelters.

Here, let me sum it up:

SHELTERS = LOVE/HATE

Quote Originally Posted by moldy View Post
    From looking at my TJ, I can say that I stay in shelters 90 percent of the time. I plan my trips so that I end up at shelters.
    I sleep better in shelters.
    I like picnic tables.
    I like having a crapper.
    I like bear boxes and bear cables.
    I like that I don't have to take up time and energy to set up or pack up a camp.
    I like to be able to have a dry place to gather myself in the morning.
    I like to carry only a very light. cheezy emergency tent.
    I like the friendship of other hikers in shelters.
    So far I have avoided hiking with the so called bubble. I would like more, bigger and better shelters on the Appalachian Trail
    +1

Shelters were very convenient for me. I've tented a lot over the 20 yrs of hiking. I enjoyed the novelty & convenience they provided.

On many occasions, I've put up, slept in, and then packed up a tent while it rained the entire time. It rained so much in 2013 that I was glad to show up in bad weather (often the norm) & not have to deal w/ that. My earplugs didn't weigh much. I generally slept okay in the shelter.

Images

I always carry my tent but I don't always sleep in it. Sometimes I cowboy. Lotsa times I'll stay at a shelter. Shelters come in all states of fullness, filth, flatulence and questionable companions but, if one is aware of all of this and can accept it for what it is, then I don't really see the problem.

Sometimes they are beautiful. Sometimes they're ugly. Sometimes they're full. Sometimes they're empty. Sometimes they have world champion snorers or herds of cub scouts or brazen mice. To think every one of them is going to be the epitome of perfection is somewhat misguided I think.

I don't know how many times over the years that the appearance of a shelter over the rise or around the bend has been the sweetest sight of the day.
    I'm just grateful for their existence.
    AT x 3
    GA-ME 2010
    GA-ME 2011
    ME-GA 2013

Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post
    How many "shelters" are on the PCT and CDT?
    LOL.LOL.LOL. Regular lean-tos on a long distance trail are relegated largely(almost exclusively?) to the east coast. Like JB says they are a novelty for those that hike out west/west of the Mississippi River,

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++