WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kc Fiedler View Post
    Tipi why would you get kicked off? You're welcome to discuss here.
    Ah poor boy, you don't know how this site works.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    obviously you know little about the members here , if you think Tipi is going to be involved in a light weight thread
    Got that right. Just wait. I'll soon have my own thread titled "Tipi Walter's Ultraload Mistakes", and gleaned from all my posts here.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Aw heck, the thread got moved from General to Ultralight---now I'll be kicked off.
    +1

This sub-forum can't support your pack for very long.

Just wait. I'll soon have my own thread titled "Tipi Walter's Ultraload Mistakes", and gleaned from all my posts here.
    I was expecting a counter-thread from you......go Tipi!

Guess I suck as an "ultralighter".....is it okay if I enjoy the hike anyway?

As suggested by George I donated to the site because there is a lot of good information here and I wished to improve the nature of this post. I apologize for the poorly worded initial post and have edited it to better reflect my intentions.

Easily one of the worst posts I've read on here so far and that's saying a lot. I think anyone who carries more than 30 lbs and refers to themselves as an UL hiker should be banned from this site and if anyone catches them hiking anywhere in the contiguous United States, they should be reported to the most readily accessible Law Enforcement authority and stripped of all rights to ever hike again and all hiking gear confiscated.

You have made atonement through penance young WB user on a zealous UL quest. Now, go and sin no more. May the UL force be with you. Welcome to WB.

"Tipi Walter's Ultraload Mistakes"

Does that involve an unexpected bowel movement?

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    "Tipi Walter's Ultraload Mistakes"

Does that involve an unexpected bowel movement?
    Don't want to drift but yes, I just had a terrible U Load mistake on my last trip. See "Morning Turtlehead" here---

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=441941

Images

Don't want to drift but yes, I just had a terrible U Load mistake on my last trip. See "Morning Turtlehead" here---

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=441941
    tipi,
    you are one of the few people that can make me look mature.

this is awesome that the thread is moved....I've always wanted to post in this forum but felt guilty (my pack at the bottom of the approach trail was 43 lbs. with food and 2l of water.) question for those in the know...by virtue of this post in this forum, can I in good faith refer to myself as an UL'er. (None of my friends, neighbors or colleagues at work backpack anyways so I can pull this off locally). please don't try to answer my question unless you are qualified (hundreds of miles and hundreds of nights).

to the OP...here's a question for you. If my math is correct, you have done hundreds of miles. So in the range of 200 - 999 miles. So you have also done hundreds of nights as well. Again, that implies a range of 200 - 999 miles. So your average mpd is at worst case = .2 mpd (200 miles/999 nights) and best case is a fraction under 5 mpd (999 miles/200 nights). if my math is correct, why bother with the hassle and expense of ultralight? I'd be carrying bacon,eggs, a cast iron skillet, coldbeer and air mattress with pump and enjoying myself in camp at that mileage. plus TP.

I figure if I'm going to hike half a mile a day it might as well be an easy half mile. You got me.

Journal Entries

Well, having read the numerous posts since I was on last night, I can tell that this has been a most spirited discussion. I also noticed that KC, you edited your info to exclude your age. Very wise decision. And yes, you should have originally posted in the UL section. However, some of the replies were interesting in regards to TP use. On some of those, there's just no way I can do what some are doing. I am not germaphobic by any means but seriously? 6 pieces? I...uh...there's just...well....nope. I'm gonna bring the entire roll with me and renew it there afterwards. I don't care what it weighs. It just ain't gonna happen. Unless of course someone can give a Continuing Education Class on the Correct Procedure for the Use of a Chamois cloth for Personal Hygiene While on the Trail. A youtube video would also come in handy. Sort of said tongue in cheek but I would certainly be open to suggestions. 6 sheets? Really? Guh-hood Lord.

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    tipi,
    you are one of the few people that can make me look mature.
    I'm here for you in that regard.

Journal Entries
    Images

Experience. Unless you want to be a freeloader. It must take many mistakes over many miles to be able to travel ultra light and depend only on your own skills. Must also require a Ranger type mental toughness which very few of us have.

Quote Originally Posted by lemon b View Post
    Experience. Unless you want to be a freeloader. It must take many mistakes over many miles to be able to travel ultra light and depend only on your own skills. Must also require a Ranger type mental toughness which very few of us have.
    I always thought Ranger types pride themselves on carrying over 80 to 100lbs on long hikes??

Images

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    obviously you know little about the members here , if you think Tipi is going to be involved in a light weight thread
    Tipi is MANY TIME involved with lightweight threads, this being a prime example. I think, JMHO, that he will never be satisfied until the rest of us are as miserable as he is carrying car camping gear on his "hikes" (AKA camping trips).

Tipi doesn't seem miserable to me(at least not because of his kit). He has found what works for him. And, isn't that really what happily hiking HYOH is about? He does carry a load though but who am I to judge what works for him.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lemon b View Post
    Nope.

Its really, really simple.

Take only what you actually need, and only as much as you need. You can easily learn what you need from others btw if you keep an open mind. Gear works together. You dont need anything redundant, with few exceptions.

Know how to use a scale to select light items vs heavy.

Scrupulously analyze the weight of everything that goes into your pack. Be critical.

Have an affection for high-end lightwt gear, and not mind spending money on it.

Understand your gear limitations, and how to avoid issues.

Pretty standard stuff.

With a normal baseweight of 6.5-7.5 lbs most of the time, I dont worry about a few xtra ounces. It did aggravate me to carry 2 lbs of clothing one time when my shuttle showed up at the trailhead early and I forgot to change clothes and leave my driving clothes in my truck. Didnt affect me however.

Nice answer MW.

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++