WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default On PA Sections: What's the difference?

Hello all,

We have some great recommendations for our trip in May. We realize that the conditions will be different than those we are used to in Arizona. But, how will they be different? Those of you who hike there often probably take a lot of things for granted: animals to watch for, weather to prepare for, etc.

When eastern hikers visit the west we find they are often unprepared for the very low humidity and, generally, the elevation (not only steep climbs, but starting at 3000-4000 ft. above sea level).

When hiking the AT in PA, what challenges should we be ready for? What might catch us by surprise?

Thank you for your advice.

Images

looking forward to advice here myself as I'm from the west and plan on starting in northern VA this April, hiking through PA.

For one thing...prepare for rocks. PA trails in general are super rocky. Get those ankles loosened up!

Quote Originally Posted by chall View Post
    For one thing...prepare for rocks. PA trails in general are super rocky. Get those ankles loosened up!
    Rocks---really? Well, that's one thing I wouldn't have expected, but certainly something we are used to dealing with. I hike with high top boots and treking poles, both of which help that condition---and I've only had one minor ankle fracture in a couple thousand miles of hiking 8-)

Now, are these scattered little rocks like you would use in landscaping or boulder sized? We have BIG rocks in Arizona. I'm only 5'4" and some of the "rocks" on the steeper trails around here require me to "climb" over/up or sit down on going down to navigate safely.

Thanks for the info.

Lyme Disease spread by deer ticks is of no concern in Arizona but is something anyone should think about when hiking in Pennsylvania in the warmer months.

Images

Google rocksylvania and look at some pics. You'll get the idea of the rocks part. Humidity will be higher than you are used to. 90°F with 100% humidity is tough for the body to cool itself as there's so little evaporation of sweat.

Journal Entries
    Images

Lightbulb Some differences you might not expect

I've hiked a large fraction of the AT, I've hiked to Phantom Ranch, I've hiked up Mount Whitney, I've hiked in Arizona deserts when the temps were about 40C.
    Each has its unique challenges, and it's good to see someone who realizes that preparation and equipment for one type of hike can be different for another type of hike.

One of the hiking problems that is, while not unique to the AT, stronger there than elsewhere, is the sheer boredom of it. Frankly, a lot of the AT -- particularly in Pennsylvania -- is not that visually interesting. You'll get some overlooks and scenic views
    http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/show...mageuser=13863

But, for over 95% of your journey, all you get is this:
    Basically, it's just trees with white marking on them.

You won't find the diamondbacks you find in Arizona, but you WILL animals meet whose bites result in far more deaths in the U.S. than rattlesnakes -- specifically, mosquitoes.
    Also take a peek at this pdf, showing where Lyme Disease is at its worst:
    http://www.cdc.gov/lyme/resources/Re...sease_2011.pdf
    DEET and permethrin are pretty much mandatory in Pennsylvania.

Don't expect solitude on the Trail. Indeed, you might well meet some real @ssholes.
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/entr...ou-live-Part-1

Furthermore, at shelters you'll definitely find a lot of hikers who don't understand the simple concept of "pack it in, pack it out."

Also, you're never THAT far from civilization, so don't expect the dead quiet you can get in a Southwest desert. I've been awakened at 5am in an AT shelter by construction equipment just a couple miles away; and walked close to a rifle range that made we wish I was back in downtown Philadelphia, where you don't hear gunshots every two seconds.

> weather to prepare for
    May in Pennsylvania CAN get cold, so don't forget the jacket and wool shirt.

> animals to watch for
    I've often gone several days in a row when the only critter I have seen is a squirrel. Seeing interesting wildlife is surprisingly rare.
    However, the AT is a relatively well-worn trail, and these "wild" animals are all too aware that careless hikers mean easy food. Problem critters can include mice, racoons, porcupines, and black bears. Protecting your food from animal thieves is absolutely essential.
    Last edited by GoldenBear; 02-04-2014 at 12:23. Reason: Needed to add another problem

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

Rain...make sure to prepare for rain and to potentially be wet for days. Oh yeah, and ticks...make sure to check yourself over thoroughly at the end of each day at a minimum.
    Last edited by Berserker; 02-04-2014 at 13:13.
    AT: 2007-2019 (45 sections)
    JMT: 2013

You won't need your sunglasses or sunscreen.
    You will need to double bag your sleeping bag and clothes bag to keep it dry.
    Once things get wet, they are hard to dry out.

The rocks can be found in big boulder fields north of the Susquehanna river (Duncannon)
    Mostly, PA mountains are long semi-flat ridge walking with a big downhill every 5-10 miles.
    Springs with water can be lower on the mountain in dryer seasons but, you won't have a shortage in May.

Lots of deer in PA. Maybe some bear but, most likely you'd be lucky to see any.

Shelters used to be built in pairs in many parts of PA.
    There are only a few of these left, but you may see some of them if you do the whole state.

Much of the trail in PA is on state game land and they don't want people camping on their land.
    They mark their boundaries with white paint so, be careful, as the AT is also marked with white paint, but usually neater and spread out a bit more.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

The trail in PA is generally not very difficult. You climb up to a ridge, then hike for 15 or so miles on the ridge, then drop down to a road crossing, climb up the other side, then cruise along the ridge for another day or so. Climbs are usually only 500-1000' or so, with some winding up and down over bumps on the ridge. There are a lot of different kinds of forest, which I enjoyed a lot, coming from the desert (raised in Tucson). You'll see shady hemlock and pine groves, rhododendron and mountain laurel (late May can be good for flowers), lots of oaks and maples. There is usually plenty of water -- especially early in the season. The rocks vary from small sharp rocks under foot to large rock scrambles. There are rattlesnakes on the trail, so watch out for sunny rockpiles. You may see deer, bears, porcupines and raccoons. PA has some nice shelters, but also nice camping in the woods.

Images

Rocks north of Swatara Gap and especially north of port Clinton. That is what pa is known for.
    poison ivy.
    boredom was mentioned. Agree in general though that will depend on where, when and your mindset.
    steep climbs again depending on where in PA. Everyone thinks PA is flat, it is but when it climbs it tends to be much steeper than western trails.

I don't think the rocks in Pennslyvania are as bad as most people say, but maybe I'm just use to them. If the weather is warm we do have alot of rattlesnakes and copperheads that like to sun themselves on the rocks. Lots of road crossings, especially in the Cumberland Valley. The only challenging climb would be north out of Palmerton. Give me a call at (717) 278-6717 if you need any help as you past through.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rbeck View Post
    When hiking the AT in PA, what challenges should we be ready for? What might catch us by surprise?
    Again, for those who believe a picture is worth a thousand words, links to my two section hikes through Pennsylvania. I don't think it'll catch you by surprise, but the rocks are terribly tedious many times. You can't just look up and stroll. A few hours/days of that, and it becomes work, not fun, and hard on your feet and legs. BUT... it's not solidly rocks. There are stroll times too!
    Mason-Dixon Line to Swatara Gap, October 2012
    Swatara Gap to Delaware Water Gap, April 2013.

RainMan

Last edited by Rain Man; 02-04-2014 at 14:23.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Rocksylvania was hyped up so much leading into it I was actually underwhelmed at the amount/intensity of rocky trail I had to walk. Maybe it helps that I live there so I already had a small idea of what it would be like?
    There's no reward at the end for the most miserable thru-hiker.
    After gear you can do a thru for $2,000.
    No training is a substitute for just going and hiking the AT. You'll get in shape.

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

Things that will be different in PA vs. Arizona (I've spent a lot of time in AZ):

- Views: there are almost none in Pennsylvania. They don't call it the long green tunnel for nothing.
    - Rain: you will probably get dumped on multiple times.
    - Rocks: the trail surface is basically nonstop, small- to medium-sized rocks. They're too small and pointy to stop on easily, but there are too many of them to put your foot in between. PA is where blister-free feet go to die.
    - Wildlife: animals like deer and bears are more common in the valleys than on ridgetops in the Appalachians. You probably won't see a lot of wildlife.

I thought that PA was the suckiest 200 miles of backpacking on the planet. There are pretty much no redeeming features. Unless your heart or your section-hiking schedule is set on this state, go do Shenandoah or somewhere in the South instead. You'll have better views, better trail, better wildlife, and more fun just about anywhere else.

The only state where I've seen a porcupine up close and my most vivid memory is my stay at the Doyle! (long live the Doyle!)
    "every day's a holiday, every meal a feast"

We just hiked 84 miles in PA last May. We plan on knocking out the last 100 miles this year in May.

Let me tell ya, it was the BEST time of year to hike through PA. It was beautiful.

An abandoned stone well about 50 feet from our tent site at Yellow Springs. (Heading North, right before Rausch Shelter) Fortunately I found this in the morning and not in the middle of the night. It was probably 20 feet deep (but dry).

PA is beautiful in May

Mayapple was in bloom everywhere.

Bunnies..

Peter's Mountain shelter ... definitely on the nicer end of the the range of shelters found on the AT

Tenting at it's BEST! We heard lots of deer around us that night.

My absolute favorite flower... Pink Lady Slipper!

Not any rock pics! We had some for sure. I'm sure they will be there for the last 100 miles of PA.

Quote Originally Posted by elray View Post
    The only state where I've seen a porcupine up close and my most vivid memory is my stay at the Doyle! (long live the Doyle!)
    The Doyle

Boiling Springs! I loved Boiling Springs!

Images

I'm looking more and more forward to PA, thanks for sharing all.

Images

One quick question: I plan on stopping somewhere in NJ.... southwest airlines (my favorite carrier, free baggage, no change fees, etc) flies from LaGuardia to Denver. Is there some public transportation I can get from somewhere in NJ (maybe slightly in to NY)? Hiring a shuttle is the obvious choice, but if there's some public transport to save a few $$$. Thanks in advance for any info.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++