WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Winter cook pot? Pour spout?

What pot do you use in deep winter? When I use my 2 qt pot to boil extra water (or melt snow), I can only fill it about 1-1/2 qt, then I spill 1/2 qt trying to fill the Nalgene.
    I tried to bend a pour spout, but it dribbles and leaks all over anyway.
    I'm using the Open Country 2qt alum because it's cheap enough, and has a bail handle to use in a fire. I just can't stick my Ti pots in the fire.

Does anyone have a killer winter 2L cook pot, cheap, light, with bail handle(for fire) and pour spout?
    Or, does anyone have a good process for shaping a pour spout that works?
    Thanks!!

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

If you carry a hose for anything (water filter pump, drinking from a water bladder), you could use the hose to create a siphon.

Images

Only one quart, but I love it......http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp...FVFk7AodHmoAiQ
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

Journal Entries

I think it's called the MSR titan, it's a simple Ti pot with pour spout, nothing fancy, that and the Jetboil Sol Ti, that does not have a spout but have not had any problems pouring it + the lid does have a something to help pour, and even though it looks not safe, I never had the lid pop off when using it this way.

Best pot ever (for such purposes http://fourdog.com/1-8-liter-mors-camp-pot/

Images

For winter use have you considered a Kelly or Ghillie kettle? Solid fuels are still available dry enough in most forests during winters.

Journal Entries
    Images

what about using a perculator not only can you do ur water but could do coffee or tea something like this, i have an alumin ones think ones about four cup n one around 8 work gr8 < http://www.amazon.com/GSI-Outdoors-E...XBB4WYXFYW8QPZ >

Images

http://toaksoutdoor.com/potwithbailhandle.aspx the only ones i've found in 10 years with the top bail on a Ti pot. I used to build cord/stick tripods and cook with my 2L aluminum open country pot. But I've finally settled on a toaks 550 cup for my solo use, and if i use it on the fire i just work it low around the sides...
    See ya when I get there.

you could make an aluminum foil funnel that weighs "nothing"

The GSI microduelist is what I use and it has a built in spout on the lid. About $40 but it imcludes 2 sporks, 2 bowls and 2 cups plus a stove bag. Mine is the hallulite model. Great for 2 people. They also have a soloist which is smaller and meant for 1 person.
    "Truth is anything you can convince someone else to believe" - Me

Quote Originally Posted by chiefduffy View Post

Totally agree. Its the GSI kettle.

Yeah, I have the little GSI kettle. I love it on the home stove for 1 cup of tea. It's just too small for melting snow and not quite right for nesting stuff inside. The anodized aluminum is the best. My cheap, Open Country alum pot got tons of scary black deposits inside from just boiling water. Can you say Alzheimer's Disease?

I looked at the Mors 1.8l pot on-line. It looks like "the Bomb" (do we still say that?). I like the size and shape, and the handles plus bail are great. But at 12oz. seems a little heavy. Is it really worth $38, and can you tell me the inside diameter?

++ New Posts ++