WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Dirty Girls! I never hike without them!

A proper quick, brave, steady, ready gentleman! ocourse's Avatar

I use the OR brand, very minimal and short. Certainly not a necessary item, but pretty useful. As mentioned, they keep pebbles and twigs out of your boots. Also they keep your shoe laces tied (they are covered up by gaiters), they keep your feet much warmer in cold weather, and if it's raining you can wear shorts and still keep your socks and boots pretty much dry. They keep wet trailside vegetation off your lower legs.
    I've learned....
    That a smile is an inexpensive way to improve your looks.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

It's a personal preference, but I can't stand 'em... they make my legs sweat and I wind up with heat rash.

i wont hike without them. to me they were a must.
    Doing What You Like Is Freedom , Liking What You Do Is Happiness

Never heard of Dirty Girls. I've used gaiters in the past, then quit using 'em. Probably should have used 'em in Virginia -- might have kept the chiggers at bay.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by slbirdnerd View Post
    ... and if you're wearing them they're not weight on your back. ....
    Carrying objects on your feet requires more energy then on your back, unless perhaps you are just standing there and not going anywhere, but they you would not need a pack or gators, and if you had a pack you could just place it on the ground at your feet, and could take off your gators and store them inside you pack, which wouldn't matter since the pack is on the ground.

I have my Permethrin treated Dirty Girl gaiters on right now as I sit at this library computer in Arkansas. They have worked great keeping the debris and pollen(lots of pollen from the pines and oaks right now in Arkansas) out of my low cut trail runners as well as keeping the ticks and chiggers manageable. They have also helped minimize the briar and wild rose thorn scratches that seem to always catch right at ankle height.

If you hit mud, ice, snow early on in your AT hike in April while wearing low cut trail runners/hikers it might be nice to have a pr of shortie Event or Schoeller fabric(EMS, REI, OR, etc make shortie versions) gaiters.

I've also used my shortie Dirty Girl gaiters on the southern PCT and recently on the Arizona and Grand Enchantment Trails to keep the sand out.

A system that has worked for me to stay reasonably dry in cooler weather light to mild rainy hiking conditions when I'm hiking at a more moderate pace is wearing light wt mid cut WP hikers and shortie Event or Schoeller fabric gaiters and rain pants over the gaiters w rain jacket.

BTW, Dirty Girl shortie minimalist Gaiters are extremely light wt made out of lycra. They are not WP. Breathe extremely well and attach to the outside heel of your hiking shoe via a piece of velcro. They are excellent for hot weather and keeping things UL. They were designed by a marathoner. Mine take up the space of a ping pong ball and add some colorful splash to the hiking ensemble.

Journal Entries
    Images

When I did my first long hike on the AT Beginnin to Front Royal and than in 1982 Ft. Royal to he lady I don't think they were invented. Never really noticed them until the 90's. So I put them into the new stuff class. The new stuff class I try and keep an open mind on. Like going from external to internal pack was a very smart move. Same with tent type,and boots.

Do you hike faster with them on or not?

Some say yes, because they don't have to stop and empty trail junk out of their shoes, which in turn prevents blisters.

Some say no, because they have to put them on everyday and they're unnecessary weight and they never kick trail junk in their shoes that often to begin with.
    Awwww. Fat Mike, too?

OR wrapid gaiters, short and water resist. Love em

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Used low cut gaiters for the entire trail because I do not like anything in my boots/ shoes or on my socks which then fall off into my footwear. Works well for me. There are some made with cloth impregnated with Permethrin to be a barrier for ticks. Guiseppe

Images

I have hiked without gatiers but tired of the detritus that would collect at the ankles. I purchased OR high gaiters and find it much more comfortable hiking with them on. If I had known of Dirty Girl first, I might have ordered them, but am quite happy with my OR gaiters.

Images

I love my Dirty Girls! I wear Low cut minimum shoes, without gaiters they fill up constantly.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rhjanes View Post
    I only have orienteering type gaitors, see lots of talk of Dirty Girls.
    Anyone have input on Dirty Girl versus these (click this) ??
    here is a link to compare these two:
    http://sub-10.blogspot.ca/2013/04/di...mblissity.html

I find that in warm weather they make my feet hot.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    I find that in warm weather they make my feet hot.
    They have to be breathable, for sure. But GoreTex gaiters have been around for at least 25 years now.

Do you need to bring extra velcro strips in case the strips on your shoes get clogged up ?

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    Do you need to bring extra velcro strips in case the strips on your shoes get clogged up ?
    I thought that would happen too but it hasn't with much use in dryer weather and when wearing crossing streams umpteen times. Any velcro will replace the velcro strips that come with a purchase of Dirty Girls. One thing I have done is McNetts Seam Grip my velcro strips onto the back of the heel of CLEAN trail runners. No problema w/ the velcro coming loose that way. The Dirty Girls breathe extreeemly well(so less need to take the gaiters off and put back on to air out sweasty ankles!) and I forget I even have them on they weigh so little.

Quote Originally Posted by Crestview_hiker View Post
    In planning my hike scheduled for a 2014 NOBO leaving April1, is it recommended to use Gaiters or or they just a luxury item?
    I would highly recommend the Montbell gaiters and as far as necessity or luxury? Ever hear of Lyme Disease? Covering shoes and gaiters in Pemethrin monthly would be considered a good decision along the AT for most people, and it's nice to keep dirt, rocks and sticks out of your shoes.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++